College Football Coaching Carousel

Texasmade

43 minutes ago, ak23 said:

This was before I realized the (pretense) behind this protest of the Schiano hiring was the Sandusky connections. I'm more than happy with UT fanbase being outraged if its purely a question of ethics and morals. To me it seems like a convenient justification for Tennessee not landing their preferred candidate. 

Re: your attack of Schiano as a low-quality candidate. Belicheck and Meyer, regardless of what you think about their politics/job as leaders of men, are two of the most revered and impactful coaching figures in the profession. Their glowing endorsements are going to mean something, especially because most coaching candidates aren't going to get that. You think Derek Dooley and Butch Jones came with those kinds of endorsements? 

You criticize Schiano for moving Rutgers from being terrible to mediocre, but that is no small achievement. Rutgers was 11-44 in the five years prior to Schiano's hire. Prior to Schiano's hire, the Rutgers football program had made ONE bowl game. He brought them to 7 bowls in 8 years, and a winning record during his tenure. That is impressive. There's a reason the NFL came calling for him, he is and was respected within the profession. 

Schiano took Rutgers to a 7-5 record in '05, an 11-2 record in '06, and an 8-5 record in '07 when the conference had the following coaches: RichRod (WVU) / Bobby Petrino (UL) / Mark Dantonio + Brian Kelly (Cincy) / Randy Edsall (UConn) / Jim Leavitt (USF) / Dave Wannstedt (Pitt) / Greg Robinson (Syracuse). To act like that isn't an impressive group of coaches is entirely disingenuous. 

Consistently bringing Rutgers to 8 wins is nothing to be ashamed of. I agree, he didn't make Rutgers into a consistent conference champion. But look at Tennessee's past hires: Derek Dooley (17-20 at Louisiana Tech) and Butch Jones (50-27 at Central Mich and Cincy). Tennessee is not going to pull Gary Patterson, Jon Gruden or Chris Petersen. It is not that good of a job and no coach wants to put up with this clownshow. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but my guess is Tenn ends up with someone like Tee Martin, DJ Durkin, Chad Morris or Mike Norvell. Are those hires really that much better (resume-wise) than Schiano? Only Norvell has coached a team to a winning record, and even he took over a program in fantastic shape. Mostly those are guys who have done a good job as a coordinator (something Schiano did these past two years) who have good resumes and connections to the SEC/area. 

If we are talking strictly performance, Schiano is not a bad candidate for Tennessee. I don't think they can plausibly expect to be pulling top flight CFB coaches. 

Yep, what Schiano did with a bad Rutgers program is impressive.

On 11/12/2017 at 12:19 PM, JammerHammer21 said:

BRADY HOKE INTERIM HEAD COACH!!!!

If Tennessee makes him HC, they will be in last place for the next decade. He showed at Michigan, that he cannot recruit and was a mediocre HC as well.

Tennessee has to hire a big name HC from another college, if it ever wants to get back as a competitive team in the SEC.

Archived