Rebuild or No Rebuild?

BayRaider

Rebuild or No Rebuild?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Rebuild or No Rebuild?

I’m now leaning towards a rebuild again, but I go back and forth. If we do rebuild, it should be shorter than 3 years. 

2022 Off Season 

- Hire Daboll as Head Coach

- Draft QB Malik Willis in the 1st Round

Daboll and Willis is a solid pairing. Daboll can develop QB’s, and he made Josh Allen into a beast. Willis is also a mobile QB who can pass. Willis is like a Lamar Jackson with less speed, more strength, but can actually pass better than Lamar did in college. Just like Allen, they just need to work on his mechanics, something Daboll specializes in. 

- We would keep Carr one more year or start some scrub QB the first year. Hopefully Carr does enough to bring his value back up to a 1st and 2nd Round pick. Tag him and trade him. 

- I’m assuming we would go anywhere from 5-12 to 8-9 the first year in 2022 under Daboll. 

2023 Off Season

- Draft an OT and DT in the 1st Round (we would have two 1st Round picks). 

- Get a Center in the 2nd and Guard in the 3rd to rebuild the line. Basically an all trenches draft. 

We’ll have to find a good LB in Free Agency and pay a premium. It’s been too long since we have invested in the position. Just non-stop bandaids. 

2023 Season:

- We win the division with Malik starting, OL is good again, Defense is Top 12, and we make at least the Divisional Round of the playoffs and hopefully the Conference Championship. 

This is best case scenario in my opinion. Here’s hoping and being optimistic.  

45 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

@BayRaider Willis is likely going top 5, how are the Raiders getting in position to make that pick?

I'm lukewarm on Daboll. Great OC, can he lead as the head guy?

Then I would be aggressive and do whatever I can to get in the Top 5. As shown by other teams, draft picks are not that important if you can recycle them into a QB, and hit in FA and the middle rounds. 

I mean, we could of had Kyler Murray if we surrendered all three of our 1st Round picks (according to Cardinals GM). It would of been well worth it. 

We could of had Justin Herbert easily with a trade up. 

We could of traded up for Fields easily.

I’m at the point if you think there’s a game changing QB is in the draft, three first round picks and a couple second round picks is nothing. If you’re wrong, then you’re absolutely screwed. If you’re right, it will all work out in the end. 

Edited by BayRaider

@big_palooka 

I agree Daboll strikes me more as a top tier amazing coordinator and could severely lack as a Head Coach. But he has proven to develop Malik Willis type of players and a master of mechanics in general. Plus he is creative as hell on offense. I’d only put Kyle Shanahan above him when it comes to offensive minds tbh. Would demote Reid to third these days, although still amazing. 

A HC Matt Campbell and OC Brian Daboll would be perfect and a dream scenario, but reality is Daboll is going to be a Head Coach somewhere. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

@BayRaider Willis is likely going top 5, how are the Raiders getting in position to make that pick?

I'm lukewarm on Daboll. Great OC, can he lead as the head guy?

He just needs to bring in a staff, or keep who he wants. I just want an innovative offensive mind. If you have one of those guys, you're usually winning double digits.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He just needs to bring in a staff, or keep who he wants. I just want an innovative offensive mind. If you have one of those guys, you're usually winning double digits.

So we want Daboll, Lombardi, Riley, or Brady then basically. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

So we want Daboll, Lombardi, Riley, or Brady them basically. 

That's what I think would be best for the team. They will either get the best out of Carr OR draft an athletic mobile qb with lots of tools who has elite upside. Maybe both. I am game for whatever helps us win.

The problem i see with a rebuild is thatwe just dont have much value on the roster.

This isnt the Mack, Cooper, Carr days where we could have fetched 5 first rounders and start a real rebuild. Blowing up this roster means getting a couple of 3rds and 5ths and maybe luck into something for Carr.

I'd get a gm who is free to make his own moves, roll with what te roster i have and hope to hit 0.75 on 1st + 2nd rnd picks and Fa's the next 2 years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roninho said:

The problem i see with a rebuild is thatwe just dont have much value on the roster.

This isnt the Mack, Cooper, Carr days where we could have fetched 5 first rounders and start a real rebuild. Blowing up this roster means getting a couple of 3rds and 5ths and maybe luck into something for Carr.

I'd get a gm who is free to make his own moves, roll with what te roster i have and hope to hit 0.75 on 1st + 2nd rnd picks and Fa's the next 2 years.

When I think rebuild, it starts at QB. You're not winning anything with Carr, easy to see that and time to move on.

Keep the pieces you like. Cut loose the dead weight and busted draft picks. No 5th year options for any of the recent first round picks.

Team has all it's draft picks to build on. Get something for Carr and move forward. 

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

When I think rebuild, it starts at QB. You're not winning anything with Carr, easy to see that and time to move on.

Keep the pieces you like. Cut loose the dead weight and busted draft picks. No 5th year options for any of the recent first round picks.

Team has all it's draft picks to build on. Get something for Carr and move forward. 

i guess it's all about definition. For me that isnt a rebuild, just going a different direction at QB. 

The strategy in itself is fine for me btw, assuming we are in a position to draft a QB we truly believe in.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I'm there too.