The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He took the pay cut after going 2-4 during the pandemic season.

Who was fired after going 32-16 in their first 3 seasons? And I'd say going 12-2, winning the Big 10 for the first time since 2004, and giving Michigan a chance to compete for a national championship for the first time since 1997 indicates that the game hasn't passed him by. 

But I do get where you're coming from especially after Gruden was just a major flop. 

Mike ZImmer was fired after doing that. I'm pointing it out b/c people want to lean on what Harbaugh did at SF like it's worth something when it's actually worth very little.

So you'd rather look at one season than his entire body of work? 

Yes, I understand this is prior to the OSU game but it's still relevant:

Sweet. He beats up on Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers, and Purdue where the recruiting talent gap is enormous compared to Michigan lol. When he plays similarly recruited talented teams, he..... well, you decide.

Let me know if you want his bowl game record as well where they try to select evenly talented teams to play against. I have that for Coach Y also :) 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

31 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

And let's stop using the pandemic season as an excuse. Majority of teams, that were expected to do well, did well. Might it have had some impact? Sure but it can't be a crutch for Coach Y's abysmal performance.

They only played 6 games.

38 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Mike ZImmer was fired after doing that. I'm pointing it out b/c people want to lean on what Harbaugh did at SF like it's worth something when it's actually worth very little.

Sweet. He beats up on Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers, and Purdue where the recruiting talent gap is enormous compared to Michigan lol. When he plays similarly recruited talented teams, he..... well, you decide.

Let me know if you want his bowl game record as well where they try to select evenly talented teams to play against. I have that for Coach Y also :) 

39 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Yes, I understand this is prior to the OSU game but it's still relevant:Sweet. He beats up on Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers, and Purdue where the recruiting talent gap is enormous compared to Michigan lol. When he plays similarly recruited talented teams, he..... well, you decide.

The 49ers were terrible for 7 years before they hired Harbaugh and then made the NFC Championship game his first three seasons. 

Typically in college football you can't really judge a coach until year 4-5 and beyond because that's when they have their own players in the program. 

Kliff Kingsbury was a terrible college coach and has had success in Arizona. Pete Carroll was a bad NFL coach in his first stint, a great college coach, and has been a great NFL coach in his second stint. Nick Sabin was a great college coach, terrible NFL coach, and then a great college coach again.

Every coach and situation is completely different and should be judged individually. Whether it was San Diego, Stanford, 49ers, or Michigan, Jim has shown that he can come in and instill a winning culture, he has done it everywhere he has ever been.

22 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

This changes absolutely nothing I wrote and honestly, doesn't have much to do w/ anything I wrote. It's simply a generic canned response that most people w/ nothing to argue resort to. Glad the team that is in the longest playoff drought in the entire league wants to interview him as well. You inadvertently helped me out here.

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Yea I’m not the biggest harb fan either and wasn’t really impressed with him at mich. only thing I really like about him is he was a nfl qb

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

22 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The 49ers were terrible for 7 years before they hired Harbaugh and then made the NFC Championship game his first three seasons. 

Typically in college football you can't really judge a coach until year 4-5 and beyond because that's when they have their own players in the program. 

Kliff Kingsbury was a terrible college coach and has had success in Arizona. Pete Carroll was a bad NFL coach in his first stint, a great college coach, and has been a great NFL coach in his second stint. Nick Sabin was a great college coach, terrible NFL coach, and then a great college coach again.

Every coach and situation is completely different and should be judged individually. Whether it was San Diego, Stanford, 49ers, or Michigan, Jim has shown that he can come in and instill a winning culture, he has done it everywhere he has ever been.

And Gruden won a Super Bowl his first year. Means nothing.

Wait... you can't judge people until their recruits are Seniors? LOL. No, that's not how it works. Nice excuse for Coach Y though

Good job listing examples that help what you want to be true. Now list the many, many more that contradict it.

So has Mike Zimmer and look what that got him. I'm not saying what he did at SF wasn't impressive. I am saying, however, what he's done at Michigan is not good, at all. No matter how badly you want to chalk up wins against Rutgers and Illinois as something to be proud of, it isn't.

Again, we had called this guy Coach Y the entire time and listed his recent "accomplishments" we'd all be saying we're the dumbest franchise on the planet for reportedly offering him $12 mill a year. Then throw in he has reported power struggles which lead him to quit at SF and it makes it even more perplexing.

To recap:

A guy was successful in a pro program but leaves due to a power struggle (supposedly) w/ upper management. Goes to college where he can only beat teams he has a massive advantage over and does absolutely awful against rivals and teams w/ similarly recruited talent and there's rumors we want to offer this person $12 a year and people are happy.

Strange times we live in.........

3 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Yea I’m not the biggest harb fan either and wasn’t really impressed with him at mich. only thing I really like about him is he was a nfl qb

I doubt he comes here anyway so this is probably pointless discussion but he could come in and turn everything around. There's no denying that this could happen. I just wouldn't bank on it based on what we've recently seen.

15 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

This changes absolutely nothing I wrote and honestly, doesn't have much to do w/ anything I wrote. It's simply a generic canned response that most people w/ nothing to argue resort to. Glad the team that is in the longest playoff drought in the entire league wants to interview him as well. You inadvertently helped me out here.

To be fair, it's the same kind of thing that you posted. Fact: He was very successful in the NFL. Fact: He wasn't very successful in College (up until the last year where he at least made it to the playoffs.) 

I'd trust his NFL experience weighs more heavily than his college experience. That's just me though

1 minute ago, NickButera said:

To be fair, it's the same kind of thing that you posted. Fact: He was very successful in the NFL. Fact: He wasn't very successful in College (up until the last year where he at least made it to the playoffs.) 

I'd trust his NFL experience weighs more heavily than his college experience. That's just me though

That's fine. I more of a "what have you done lately" kind of guy and there's no right or wrong way to look at it IMO as it's all preference. We have tried the old "he was successful in the league" a few times already and it really hasn't gotten us anywhere except more coaching searches lol. I'd rather stay away from the Art Shells and Jon Grudens of the world and get a guy who's proven more recently than half a decade ago. 

18 minutes ago, NickButera said:

He wasn't very successful in college? Michigan finished the season ranked in the top 15 like 4 times in the 15 seasons before they hired Harbaugh and finished ranked in the top 20 in 5/6 seasons he has been there. (Excluding the weird covid year) The year before he took over at Stanford they were a bottom dwelling program that was coming off of a 1-11 season and in his final year they were 12-1 and almost made the national championship game.

17 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

That's fine. I more of a "what have you done lately" kind of guy and there's no right or wrong way to look at it IMO as it's all preference. We have tried the old "he was successful in the league" a few times already and it really hasn't gotten us anywhere except more coaching searches lol. I'd rather stay away from the Art Shells and Jon Grudens of the world and get a guy who's proven more recently than half a decade ago. 

What coach is available that has had success in the NFL more recently then half a decade ago would you hire?