The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

Just now, Nightmare said:

saw this tweet earlier about it. No idea where he got the info though.

Fairly uninspiring list, tbh.

Leslie Frazier: 21-32 record (1 winning season)

Todd Bowles: 26-41 record (1 winning season)

Gus Bradley: 14-48 record (0 winning seasons)

Jerrod Mayo: Patriots assistant LB coach

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

It's interesting how we've been linked to only Defensive Coaches thus far.

When Mark hired Dennis Allen it was the first defensive minded head coach that we had hired since Jon Madden. If we hire another defensive coach 3/4 (Allen, JDR, new guy) of Mark's 4 hires will be defensive guys. 

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

Considering only backhanded rumors are coming out, and there's been nothing concrete I'm inclined to start thinking this myself.  The only reason we have to think he's coming here is circumstantial evidence.  If we don't hear anything about visiting/interviewing/calling etc, I don't think we'll end up getting him. The coaches we have lined up for interviews are top flight candidates. Makes me think we're seriously considering one of them 

https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/18/jim-harbaugh-nfl-rumors-raiders-bears-contract-michigan-2022-season

Poster elsewhere, but again:

So certainly sounds like they've made their pitch. Either it wasn't enough or he still has an eye elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

When Mark hired Dennis Allen it was the first defensive minded head coach that we had hired since Jon Madden. If we hire another defensive coach 3/4 (Allen, JDR, new guy) of Mark's 4 hires will be defensive guys. 

Whoever we get in theory it would be nice to have them as a playcaller too. So often coordinators do well and bolt for HC jobs asap, leaving such little continuity. 

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

Whoever we get in theory it would be nice to have them as a playcaller too. So often coordinators do well and bolt for HC jobs asap, leaving such little continuity. 

Good thing we've been able to keep Greg Olson around for so long, lulz. But I agree which is why Harbaugh/Fangio would be ideal because Fangio likely isn't getting another head coaching job for at least a few years.

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/18/jim-harbaugh-nfl-rumors-raiders-bears-contract-michigan-2022-season

Poster elsewhere, but again:

So certainly sounds like they've made their pitch. Either it wasn't enough or he still has an eye elsewhere. 

If we really did offer him $12M a year as some rumors have suggested, I have a hard time seeing him say no. He originally was making $8M at Michigan but they asked him to take a $4M pay cut, IIRC he was like the 9th highest paid coach in the Big 10. Tripling your salary and getting a chance to have full control over an NFL franchise with a brand new stadium, world class facilities, and a ton of roster flexibility seems better than chasing HS kids around.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Pretty sure I saw on GMFB earlier that no one has offered to interview Leslie Frazier. That makes me question the integrity of this list. 

Just read that he’s interviewing with the Bears this Friday.

Not doubting what you heard - it might have been true at the time and that interview has been lined up at some point today.

30 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He originally was making $8M at Michigan but they asked him to take a $4M pay cut, IIRC he was like the 9th highest paid coach in the Big 10. 

No one else sees this as a red flag? LOL. Seriously?

When discussing him, we should just use the variable Coach Y so that the name isn't attached b/c as of now, I think that's all anyone is looking at. Yes, yes, I know he had great success a decade ago but let's not pretend that means anything in the grand scheme of things. There was a coach who was just fired who in his first 3 season as a HC went 32-16. The game passes people by all the time. 

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

No one else sees this as a red flag? LOL. Seriously?

When discussing him, we should just use the variable Coach Y so that the name isn't attached b/c as of now, I think that's all anyone is looking at. Yes, yes, I know he had great success a decade ago but let's not pretend that means anything in the grand scheme of things. There was a coach who was just fired who in his first 3 season as a HC went 32-16. The game passes people by all the time. 

He took the pay cut after going 2-4 during the pandemic season.

Who was fired after going 32-16 in their first 3 seasons? And I'd say going 12-2, winning the Big 10 for the first time since 2004, and giving Michigan a chance to compete for a national championship for the first time since 1997 indicates that the game hasn't passed him by. 

But I do get where you're coming from especially after Gruden was just a major flop. 

Just now, Nightmare said:

Just read that he’s interviewing with the Bears this Friday.

Not doubting what you heard - it might have been true at the time and that interview has been lined up at some point today.

They go live at 7 AM so it's definitely possible but it looks like an article suggested that was lined up two days ago. Thanks for the heads up though. The topic they were discussing is one where people have the tendency to be purposely disingenuous so it's possible I was lied to lol.

I'm just hoping we get someone who is a recent, proven commodity. I know I've said a younger guy but I've since moved on from that. I