The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

19 minutes ago, kmonahan07 said:

FLORES would be amazing but he has always run 34 as far as I'm aware. With other multiple D sets. You'd have to completely revamp the D again. The only reason I'd be all for it would be that's he's a long term hire. Keep him for 5+years and change the culture 

This is something I wasn't familiar w/ and yes, revamping the D isn't necessarily something I'd like to see done unless, like you said, he's a 5+ year guy which seems like he has potential to be.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Maybe you're right. It just seems like it would be a big blow to win games as HC then go back to coordinator just like that.

That’s a very valid point and certainly one I considered.

but, rich doesn’t seem to be to be someone striving to move up the coaching ranks.  He’s in his 60s and ironed out his career as a STC.  Look at his career below, it seem to me he’s happy being One Of the premier STCs in the league and not a HC.  He was thrust into the HC role and accepted it and had some Good things and bad things happen as HC, he certainly was the “leader of men” he was described as but certainly not a game plan / scheme guy on either side of the ball.  

i really think rich doesn’t have an ego at All and would actually happily return to a STC position if he is not retained as HC.  I think he’d happily accept being the full time HC but only because he isn’t the type of guy to run from responsibility and duty and would feel a duty to the organization to try and finish any unfinished business (I can’t see us winning SB this year, sorry)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Bisaccia

Career history
As a coach:
  • Wayne State (1983)
    Defensive backs coach & special teams coach
  • Wayne State (1984–1987)
    Quarterbacks coach & wide receivers coach
  • South Carolina (1988)
    Graduate assistant, tight ends & wide receivers
  • South Carolina (1989–1990)
    Volunteer assistant, defensive ends coach & special teams coach
  • South Carolina (1991)
    Volunteer assistant, tight ends coach & special teams coach
  • South Carolina (1992–1993)
    Running backs coach & special teams coach
  • Clemson (1994–1998)
  • Ole Miss (1999)
  • Ole Miss (2000–2001)
    Assistant head coach, running backs coach & special teams coach
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers (20022007)
    Special teams coordinator
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2008)
    Assistant head coach, running backs coach & special teams coordinator
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers (20092010)
    Assistant head coach & special teams coordinator
  • San Diego Chargers (2011)
    Special teams coordinator
  • San Diego Chargers (2012)
  • Dallas Cowboys (20132017)
  • Oakland / Las Vegas Raiders (20182021)
  • Las Vegas Raiders (2021–present)
    Interim head coach & special teams coordinator
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

John Harbaugh was also young, Rich is 62 years old, lol.

To be fair though Bruce Arians is 69 Andy Reid is 63P Carol is 69 Belichick is 69 Fangio is 63 Mike Zimmer is 67. I don’t think there’s really an age requirement on coaching. If a guy can coach a guy can coach

40 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

To be fair though Bruce Arians is 69 Andy Reid is 63P Carol is 69 Belichick is 69 Fangio is 63 Mike Zimmer is 67. I don’t think there’s really an age requirement on coaching. If a guy can coach a guy can coach

It's definitely mostly uncharted water for sure. 

Arians, Belichik, and Carroll are amongst the oldest ever (Romeo Crennel was an interim at 73, Halas last coached at 72, Marv Levy hit 72 as well). 

That puts Arians and Belichik around 3 more years, Carroll at 2 as full timers. All 3 could retire by then, all 3 could easily still be around in 4-5 years coaching at a high level- particularly Arians and Belichik as neither are staring at anything close to a rebuild. 

Carroll has a potential rebuild, Arians has had health stuff. Belichik, honestly, could easily go another 10 years absent declining health. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

It's definitely mostly uncharted water for sure. 

Arians, Belichik, and Carroll are amongst the oldest ever (Romeo Crennel was an interim at 73, Halas last coached at 72, Marv Levy hit 72 as well). 

That puts Arians and Belichik around 3 more years, Carroll at 2 as full timers. All 3 could retire by then, all 3 could easily still be around in 4-5 years coaching at a high level- particularly Arians and Belichik as neither are staring at anything close to a rebuild. 

Carroll has a potential rebuild, Arians has had health stuff. Belichik, honestly, could easily go another 10 years absent declining health. 

My thing is I never understood the whole age requirement for coaching. If Pete Carroll wanted to all of a sudden coach the Raiders next year nobody would be saying anything about he’s 69 years old

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

My thing is I never understood the whole age requirement for coaching. If Pete Carroll wanted to all of a sudden coach the Raiders next year nobody would be saying anything about he’s 69 years old

I might take it into account, given that we're rebuilding and likely don't want a new HC in 2 years- after which he's entering uncharted territory. 

Carroll to Denver or something, sure, have yourself a couple cracks at a SB. 

But I'd factor age in a bit for a rebuilding squad.

16 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I wonder if our new HC/OC will value a Fullback like Gruden did. Ingold is a boss and I sure hope we keep him around even with a new staff. Hell, move him to TE or simply a backup RB.

I truly think he's one of the main heartbeats on O.

Harbaugh would love Ingold 

28 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I wonder if our new HC/OC will value a Fullback like Gruden did. Ingold is a boss and I sure hope we keep him around even with a new staff. Hell, move him to TE or simply a backup RB.

I truly think he's one of the main heartbeats on O.

He's also a special teams maven. So he'll stay on with that alone

6 hours ago, Jraider91 said:

Flores would be ok but don't trust the offensive staff he put together in Miami, although my worry with Harbaugh is that Greg Roman would come free and he'd have him. 

Flores downfall was Tua's inability to stay healthy and their OL being terrible. 

20 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I respectfully, wholeheartedly disagree.  He MIGHT make a team or twos interview list, at very best.

He’s a special teams coach and that’s a severe disadvantage.  He’ll need to hire both a OC and DC who will come in and run their scheme.

I believe Rich B has way more value to us than other teams.  Plus, I don’t see there being that many openings combined with the fact that there are several and an abundance of qualified coordinators ready to move up to HC.

I agree with most of what you're saying here but thinking about it, I don't think this is such a big disadvantage and in certain circumstances might be positive. Get the right guys in and let them playcall and run their schemes whilst the HC oversees the team. Sometimes I feel a coach can have too many hats on and take their eyes off the ball. I wouldn't hold that specific detail against Bisaccia. I'd probably still prefer a Jim Harbaugh, a Brian Flores or a Mike Zimmer or David Shaw but he's definitely earned a genuine consideration. I'd really like to know what his ideal scenario with regard OC and scheme and DC and scheme would be........ He might also be working with guys he wouldn't have hand picked himself.

19 hours ago, 101Raider said:

I may be in the extreme minority, but I would be fine with Rich B getting another year. 

He’s held the team together and took us to the playoffs  despite the ridiculous off field stuff that 90% of teams would have disintegrated under.

So he’s not an X’s and O’s Guy… fine, bring in an OC to call plays and keep Bradley.

If that means we have to keep Mayock, for another year, then so be it.  Let them all work it out another year and see what we have post Gruden.  

I kinda would like to see what they'd do too but honestly I think I'd have more confidence moving forward in a Harbaugh or Flores type, just because of the unknowns.

The thing is, we've had a terrible season off field this year and that has probably brought the team together and provided them with motivation this year and made the team tight. Now, next year that's not going to be the case (hopefully), they won't automatically have that extra motivation and have that backs to the wall mentality so I've no idea how that will work. They'll have to win with skill, coaching and scheming next year when that backs to the wall adrenaline is not there. I think Bisaccia is a players coach and motivator, I bet the locker room loves him but can he out coach good teams? That is the big one for me.........