The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

Just now, NYRaider said:

What coach is available that has had success in the NFL more recently then half a decade ago would you hire?

Guys I would like to look into (in no order):

Brian Flores
Byron Leftwich
Leslie Frazier
Dan Quinn
Kevin O'Connell
Raheem Morris
Brian Daboll (probably my top choice)
Jerod Mayo
Jim Caldwell
Matt Eberflus 
Patrick Graham
Todd Bowels b/c I don't think it counts when you coach the Jets.

29 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

And Gruden won a Super Bowl his first year. Means nothing.

Wait... you can't judge people until their recruits are Seniors? LOL. No, that's not how it works. Nice excuse for Coach Y though

Good job listing examples that help what you want to be true. Now list the many, many more that contradict it.

So has and look what that got him. I'm not saying what he did at SF wasn't impressive. I am saying, however, what he's done at Michigan is not good, at all. No matter how badly you want to chalk up wins against Rutgers and Illinois as something to be proud of, it isn't.

Again, we had called this guy Coach Y the entire time and listed his recent "accomplishments" we'd all be saying we're the dumbest franchise on the planet for reportedly offering him $12 mill a year. Then throw in he has reported power struggles which lead him to quit at SF and it makes it even more perplexing.

To recap:

A guy was successful in a pro program but leaves due to a power struggle (supposedly) w/ upper management. Goes to college where he can only beat teams he has a massive advantage over and does absolutely awful against rivals and teams w/ similarly recruited talent and there's rumors we want to offer this person $12 a year and people are happy.

Strange times we live in.........

Jon Gruden won a Super Bowl in 2003 and then took a ton of time off working for ESPN. And when he won the Super Bowl he did it with Tony Dungey's team, as soon as he had control over personnel decisions the team tanked and never even won another playoff game.

So if you are hired to coach a college football program do you immediately recruit an entire team or do you inherit a roster almost completely full of players that you did not recruit? In years 4/5 the entire team is guys that you and your staff recruited. Nick Saban went 8-4 during his first year at LSU, failed in Miami, and was 2-6 his first year at Alabama. Once he started to recruit his own guys the program took off.

I still don't understand what Mike Zimmer has to do with Jim Harbaugh.

And you act like Michigan is just somehow powerhouse, prestigious elite program that should win a national championship every year. They hadn't won a title since 1997 and hadn't even won the Big 10 conference in almost 2 decades before this season.

To recap: Jim Harbaugh has won and established a winning culture everywhere that he has ever been. He took over a program that was a bottom feeder and made them nationally relevant, he took over one of the most storied franchises in the NFL who had been a bottom feeder for nearly a decade and made them into a Super Bowl contender immediately, and he took over a program that was prestigious 2 decades ago and brought them to the CFB playoffs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Guys I would like to look into (in no order):

Brian Flores 
Byron Leftwich
Leslie Frazier
Dan Quinn
Kevin O'Connell
Raheem Morris
Brian Daboll (probably my top choice)
Jerod Mayo
Jim Caldwell
Matt Eberflus 
Patrick Graham
Todd Bowels b/c I don't think it counts when you coach the Jets.

So you want a retread that has proven that they cannot win in the NFL over Harbaugh because he lost to Ohio State, lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

"Homer" LOL. That's hilarious. Yeah, thanks again for proving you're utterly clueless as if nothing I've posted doesn't make sense.

Carry on......

Kliff Kingsbury couldn't beat Baylor and Pete Carroll came up short at USC his last 5 seasons, shouldn't have been hired.

Just now, NYRaider said:

So if you are hired to coach a college football program do you immediately recruit an entire team or do you inherit a roster almost completely full of players that you did not recruit? In years 4/5 the entire team is guys that you and your staff recruited. Nick Saban went 8-4 during his first year at LSU, failed in Miami, and was 2-6 his first year at Alabama. Once he started to recruit his own guys the program took off.

Sure do. Why not? Matt Campbell did it as have a ton of others. You're, again, making excuses. Saban was 7-6 in his first season w/ Bama as well. not 2-6. Won 10+ games since.

I still don't understand what Mike Zimmer has to do with Jim Harbaugh.

B/c you seem to have this strange notion that b/c you were good means you'll always be good and the game doesn't pass you by. I've already said this......

And you act like Michigan is just somehow powerhouse, prestigious elite program that should win a national championship every year. They hadn't won a title since 1997 and hadn't even won the Big 10 conference in almost 2 decades before this season.

B/c they are expected to compete for B1G championships and titles every year, yes. Their recruiting classes suggest such should be true. He just can't beat anyone that's good.

To recap: Jim Harbaugh has won and established a winning culture everywhere that he has ever been. He took over a program that was a bottom feeder and made them nationally relevant, he took over one of the most storied franchises in the NFL who had been a bottom feeder for nearly a decade and made them into a Super Bowl contender immediately, and he took over a program that was prestigious 2 decades ago and brought them to the CFB playoffs.

Nice fluff words lol. Your inability to look at the entire picture is...... well, sad. You have your mind made up. This is pointless. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

So you want a retread that has proven that they cannot win in the NFL over Harbaugh because he lost to Ohio State, lol.

You don't read or simply don't understand English. I don't think I could make it any more clear why I don't want him but you simply cannot understand. You need more help than I, or anyone here, am capable of offering. Good luck

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Sure do. Why not? Matt Campbell did it as have a ton of others. You're, again, making excuses. Saban was 7-6 in his first season w/ Bama as well. not 2-6. Won 10+ games since.

B/c you seem to have this strange notion that b/c you were good means you'll always be good and the game doesn't pass you by. I've already said this......

B/c they are expected to compete for B1G championships and titles every year, yes. Their recruiting classes suggest such should be true. He just can't beat anyone that's good.

Nice fluff words lol. Your inability to look at the entire picture is...... well, sad. You have your mind made up. This is pointless. 

Matt Campbell built a winning culture with two college programs and an NFL team? I must have missed that happening. Didn't realize Saban had some games sanctioned away.

I don't think that because you were good you will always be good, I think Harbaugh has just shown over an extended period that he is still a top tier coach.

They are expected too yet they haven't won anything without Harbaugh in 2 decades, lol. And he just whipped up on Ohio State this season.

• Like 1

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

You don't read or simply don't understand English. I don't think I could make it any more clear why I don't want him but you simply cannot understand. You need more help than I am capable of offering. Good luck

You don't want him because of his record against top 10 teams because his recruiting classes were good. I wasn't aware that you recruited HS kids in the NFL.

• Like 1

This heated up real fast 😆

When you look at the totality of what he's done at Michigan vs what was expected of him, it's underwhelming. Period. He was expected to compete for the top 4 annually. He hasn't delivered. 

But he did deliver last year. Perhaps too late, or took too long. But he did show success last year. Personally I just think his style is better suited for the professional environment, which is why he's performed better in the NFL. And I like to think Al Davis was right when he told him it was a mistake to go to college 😄

• Like 1

Just now, NickButera said:

This heated up real fast 😆

When you look at the totality of what he's done at Michigan vs what was expected of him, it's underwhelming. Period. He was expected to compete for the top 4 annually. He hasn't delivered. 

But he did deliver last year. Perhaps too late, or took too long. But he did show success last year. Personally I just think his style is better suited for the professional environment, which is why he's performed better in the NFL. And I like to think Al Davis was right when he told him it was a mistake to go to college 😄

Yeah, it's frustrating like you're dealing w/ a 13 y/o who thinks they're right about absolutely everything. You then show them  how they're wrong and they just conveniently forget stuff or make up their own logic to discredit the opposition b/c they can't admit to being wrong. Don't worry, I can see this now and will just ignore him.

The rest of your post is reasonable..... except I won't claim Al did too much things that were "right" the last decade of his life lol.

7 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

The rest of your post is reasonable..... except I won't claim Al did too much things that were "right" the last decade of his life lol.

Yup. This was back in 2002/3. Which was right about when we started our downward spiral of doom. I tend to think of that time as Al's last best years.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

"Homer" LOL. That's hilarious. Yeah, thanks again for proving you're utterly clueless as if nothing I've posted doesn't make sense.

Carry on......

Literally NOTHING you've posted in regards to Jim Harbaugh makes any sense. You're parroting every Ohio St. fan boy on twitter. I'll trust people without a bias. 

Michigan was a mess when he got there, he turned them into a respectable program again. Comparing what he walked into at Michigan to where Ohio St was at, is like comparing Ole Miss to Alabama. 

30 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

In the last 10 years Ohio St. has ranked #1 in recruiting in the Big 10 all but 2019. They average a 39 pts. better in recruiting score since Harbaugh started at UM.

In the last 10 classes, Ohio St. (27) ranks 3rd behind only Alabama (46), Georgia (34) in 5 star recruits. Michigan has only landed 8.