17 Game Season, Why not have the 17th game be an international game for everyone?

scar988

6 hours ago, MWil23 said:

As long as each team gets an extra bye week, I'm fine with it.

Better yet, find a way to get a bye, a Thursday night game, followed by an international game for each team.

This should be a no brainer logistically as well.

Yeah, in post-pandemic world this is the long term solution. Then you can really push to SB to President’s Day weekend and scrap the stupid 18 game schedule with only 1 bye.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

I honestly expected this to be part of the package when the 17-game schedule was announced. Really dumb that it's not the case. 

Yeah. As someone who has benefitted enormously from the International Series I'd say this would always have been the best way of doing it but it needed to be proven first. It's clear international fanbases exist in enough numbers to have games across Europe, North America, and I'd say Asia as well. 

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Why not have the 17th game as a Free For All Battle Royal between all 32 teams on a 500 yard field?

But have it in Brazil so the threat of death from streakers is a constant worry. It’d be like adding sharks to water polo 

The logistics of this could be an issue, and I'd really prefer to see our game stay in America for the most part.  At the same time, we could see the added benefit of opening up a much larger talent pool than what we have to pull from right now.  Creating interest in the sport abroad using just one week's worth of games on the schedule could end up making the game better overall in the long run.  As it is, I think we've been pushing the limits of what we have available talent-wise in America with 32 teams.  This could be a good thing to do.  Of course, the owners would be happy to benefit from a global market for all of their merchandise as well.

8 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

You can also play those games on Saturday, as thet are taking place in another country.

In Asia… yes. I think Tokyo prime time Olympics had events in the 9:30am hour ET. Should be easier in venues like the Bird’s Nest in Beijing if the NFL ever wants to go full NBA and get the CCP’s business. Still a few years away from that. Not sure if there are other appropriate venues aside from some AFL arenas down under. I’d get a game or two out there, Oceania series. Beijing, and maybe Tokyo.

19 hours ago, MWil23 said:

As long as each team gets an extra bye week, I'm fine with it.

Better yet, find a way to get a bye, a Thursday night game, followed by an international game for each team.

This should be a no brainer logistically as well.

17 hours ago, DutchFalcon said:

Good idea but agreed that some sort of extra bye week probably should be in order with regards to jetlag and climate changes (hf going to Brazil/South Africa and then play again in next week in a place like Lambeau Field). Another point of contention could be when teams are in a close playoff race. Having those games start around the same time is cool but might be hard to do if timezones are in effect.

Extra bye week would definitely be added. And the NFLPA wouldn't fight it. It'd be beneficial for player safety. The League shouldn't fight it because it'd give them an extra week of TV revenue without having to add any games.

15 hours ago, ET80 said:

You, me, Barcelona and a few bottles of Japanese Whiskey.

I... yeah, I can get behind this.

Uh... can I join?

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Can't play in the Principality stadium in Cardiff, that turf is terrible. After a rugby game it looks like the Somme 

Obviously, you'd send in the grounds crews from the teams to see if they can make it work. If not, send them to Wembley or the old Claymores stadium.

20 hours ago, TB Doug22 said:

Would like to see a game in Australia if that was the case. 2 West Coast teams.

Why west coast? 

It's like 20 hour flight from L.A, is there really that much of a difference that a couple extra hours from someone not on west coast will put them at competitive disadvantage?

WC teams already get short end of the stick with traveling just in the U.S.

Edited by Zalixar

43 minutes ago, Zalixar said:

Why west coast? 

It's like 20 hour flight from L.A, is there really that much of a difference that a couple extra hours from someone not on west coast will put them at competitive disadvantage?

This is why in my setup for international games, I was putting the west coast teams in MExico and Canada, actually...

3 hours ago, Zalixar said:

Why west coast? 

It's actually 13-14 hours, and West Coast teams because of the time zone. You could start the game here at 1pm, which would be 7pm PST. 

I'll do you one better, put in the extra bye week so everyone gets 2, and make every international game the Thursday Night Football game.  Kill three birds with one stone (completive advantage/disadvantage, Short week before Thursday Night Football, International games) 

Mexico City
London
Berlin
Paris
Moscow
Beijing
Tokyo
Seoul
Athens
Cairo
Toronto
Mumbai