GDT 10/24/21 Week 7: 5-1 Baltimore Ravens vs 4-2 Cincinnati Bengals

DreamKid

Definitely an embarrassing loss, one in which we looked horrible all around, but especially the secondary. Think it goes without saying we underestimated the Bengals and they made us pay for it.

With that said, this isn't the first time we've had a seemingly back breaking loss to a conference rival early in the season. See Cleveland in Week 4 of 2019, the Chiefs last year. This is the NFL. Possibly the highest level of parity in all of professional sports due to the salary cap. Losses happen. At the same time, football is about adjustments and correcting mistakes. A lot of the errors today are correctable. Obviously injuries are starting to finally show the cracks in the Ravens armor, but hopefully the Mekari injury isn't severe and we can start getting some guys back like Boyle, Wolfe, possibly Cleveland. And EDC can always swing another mid season trade. Point is, we have a lot of season left to play. I don't think anyone should be writing us off after one bad loss, imagine if they did that after the LV game.

All this to say, I think we'll see a very different game play out the next time we meet Cincinnati. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

How impressive and how many wins we rack up in the regular season has definitely NOT correlated with how well we end up playing in the playoffs. We shouldn't be calculating postseason potential based on regular season outputs. Only whether we are on track to make it. We seem to fare better in road playoff games anyway, so I don't even really care about the division much either. We'll probably get KC or a pissed off LAC in round 1 if we win the division. 

We seemed to fare better on the road in the playoffs when we could run the ball effectively and play good defense.

I have my doubts this team can do either. Time will tell but I think this team’s strengths/weaknesses set up even worse for a postseason run than in years past. We shall see what happens.

44 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Maybe people will finally start to wake up to the fact that he’s not very good and hasn’t dressed for a reason 

Yeah. I think he’s probably our most talented RB from a RB vision and athleticism perspective. Yet when I saw the audible and him not know the play, that made me feel like maybe he just doesn’t know the offense (still) and the coaching staff doesn’t trust his command of the offense to be the main back.

He's got the talent, but you can’t play if you can’t be relied upon in critical moments of a game to know what’s going on. Be it picking up a key protection or knowing you’re the hot route, etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Definitely an embarrassing loss, one in which we looked horrible all around, but especially the secondary. Think it goes without saying we underestimated the Bengals and they made us pay for it.

With that said, this isn't the first time we've had a seemingly back breaking loss to a conference rival early in the season. See Cleveland in Week 4 of 2019, the Chiefs last year. This is the NFL. Possibly the highest level of parity in all of professional sports due to the salary cap. Losses happen. At the same time, football is about adjustments and correcting mistakes. A lot of the errors today are correctable. Obviously injuries are starting to finally show the cracks in the Ravens armor, but hopefully the Mekari injury isn't severe and we can start getting some guys back like Boyle, Wolfe, possibly Cleveland. And EDC can always swing another mid season trade. Point is, we have a lot of season left to play. I don't think anyone should be writing us off after one bad loss, imagine if they did that after the LV game.

All this to say, I think we'll see a very different game play out the next time we meet Cincinnati. 

Agreed. Some were all doom and gloom after the Raiders game and yet we reeled off 5 straight wins.

Those thinking that beating the Bengals would be a cake walk are likely the ones most effected by this loss.

I found the matchup of Humphrey and Chase to be interesting. They’re both very physical options but in the NFL, physical WRs will ultimately have the advantage. Plus Humphrey tends to historically struggle against the WRs I had similarly comped to Chase in both AJ Brown and Juju Smith-Schuster.

Throw in the fact that the Bengals have been embarrassed the last few times against us and this was never a game we were going to get up for quite as much as they were. We likely thought we would score at the end of the half and then shut them down and they would fade into the background like most of the teams from some of these other soft divisions (*cough AFCW *cough).

This was our first divisional game this season and I think losing the way we did and right before the bye will set the kind of tone this team will use as motivation to thrust it higher coming out of the bye where we’ve got mostly our full divisional slate.

It’s a long season and I like where this team is at right now. The sky is not falling, corrections will be made, players will get their mentalities right, and we’ll be ready to make a playoff run when the times comes.

Plenty of time for a guy like Bateman to unlock his Stefan Diggs type potential, get Watkins back where he’s shown clutch playoff performance in the past, Boyle back, etc and make a leap.

The Ravens have always been at their best when they can prove the haters wrong, so I’ll take falling back and allowing the upstart Bengals to become the favorites for everyone to gush over. A dark horse has never looked better than when his coat is black and purple.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 6:50 PM, DreamKid said:

Week 7 Wishlist

- Second consecutive week of defensive competence

- Odafe Oweh's first multi Sack game

- Rashod Bateman going for 100+ rec yards and at least 1 TD

-  A Hollywood Brown long bomb

- 50+ yard run from Lamar or one of our HBs

- No injuries

Wow... Well, 1 out of 6 isn't bad. 😵

Horrific game. Struggling to understand how this defense went from strangling two of the AFC's powerhouse teams in the playoffs last year, to historic lows for our club this season. Judon and Yanny weren't major contributors in 2020, we did lose Fort, Peters, and Wolfe to injury... but I don't see how all of that alone creates such a drop in capability. So I'm sticking the defensive collapse in the bizarre category. Along with it can go Lamar's week to week volatility. Expectations have changed for Lamar, he can't miss the throws or take the sacks he has. He's doing weird things like dancing around the LOS with the ball tucked on key downs(Not looking for a throw or even a rushing lane- just kind of buying time before he's eventually sacked... it's weird), and I don't know why. 

Here are some quick hits about this game and the team going forward:

- Emphasis on throws to the flats and other targets behind the LOS today was weird and helped sink our offense multiple times

- This was a huge game for us and the Bengals, they won- convincingly. 

- Lamar is younger than Burrow, which is still kind of odd.

- OL remains a disaster and the "Lamar doesn't need a great OL because he's so mobile" crowd needs to die down forever. 

- Le'veon Bell has nothing left, don't let anyone convince you of something different. 

- A lot of the star players on this team are struggling to find week to week consistency in 2021

- Odafe Oweh has slowed down, and now looks more like what we expected in Year 1. Much less impactful against the better Tackles he's faced lately. By my count he had three pressures today. A whiff on a Sack attempt, bulled the LT back and swung his arm into Burrow's head for an uncalled RTP, and an iffy to count pressure where he was reaching at Burrow over the body of the Tackle who was still engaged with him. 

- Wink and Roman won't be fired regardless of what happens this season, so there's no point in even discussing it imo.

- Might be time to get a new QB coach around Lamar. Stimulation to his game from a new coach helped Flacco, and I'm sure it can do the same or better for Jackson. 

- QBs didn't feel comfortable throwing at Marcus Peters the way they do Averett- for obvious reasons. Retaining him needs to be a priority, especially if Wink will be with us long term. MP is a deterrent and a threat on the blitz beating throws we got torched with today.

- Was nice to see Bateman pop, he'll only get better. We know what he can be.

- After this loss and every other loss going forward, the idea of us having more of a shot at Ikem Ekwonu will cushion the blow.. for me at least. 🤷‍♂️

- At least it was the Bengals, and not the Browns/Steelers/Titans/Chiefs... It's hard to beat a team 6 times in a row or whatever we were up to against them. Kudos to them, they came into our house and beat us down. I was a Chase over Sewell guy, so at least the couch scout in me can be happy about his early dominance. Their DL investments have paid off as well, just an all around different squad. Looking forward to our future matchups.

- We'll probably make the playoffs, because the AFC this year is an unpredictable mess(as we are), but expecting any kind of serious run with these injuries and lack of week to week consistency is silly. I've said it before, it's an 'Enjoy the Ride' season folks. We shouldn't even be 5-2, but we are. We're the spoiler this year, looking to ruin someone's day/record and share the black cloud that's settled over our club for 2021. Nothing more. Don't let games like this crush your mood or ruin your week. It's just a goofy scene from a wacked out season long movie. 

- Enjoy the Bye everyone, and 🎃Halloween🎃 too!!!

Here are some fun horror/thrillers you can check out:

1. The Descent

2. The Kill List

3. Disturbia

4. Joy Ride(Rip PW)

5. Creep (2014 FF)

6. The Conspiracy

7. Brainscan 

8. The Hitcher(1986 Ver.)

9. Zodiac(2007)

10. ATM(2012))

....and since you asked, the superior candy options of the world are Snickers, Skittles, Babe Ruth, and Reese's Cups. No debate. 

52946511f9bfe818e7ccc46c7feff665.gif

• Like 4