The good, the bad, and the ugly V. The Iggles

Totty

29 minutes ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

Just spitballing here, but I wonder if Cable is feeling the heat now that Gruden is out of the picture? Like maybe he had an oh-sh!t-I-might-be-next-if-I-don’t-start-coaching-these-guys-up moment? I know correlation doesn’t always imply causation and the improved playcalling has no doubt helped, but the O-line has been noticeably better since Gruden disappeared.

Cable was Gruden's boot licker so he felt safe no matter what with Gruden around.  Now with him gone we will see what happens.

35 minutes ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

Just spitballing here, but I wonder if Cable is feeling the heat now that Gruden is out of the picture? Like maybe he had an oh-sh!t-I-might-be-next-if-I-don’t-start-coaching-these-guys-up moment? I know correlation doesn’t always imply causation and the improved playcalling has no doubt helped, but the O-line has been noticeably better since Gruden disappeared.

The entire team and staff looks refreshed without Gruden around.

1 hour ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

I can definitely see that being the case. But it could also just be that some of the young players (3/5 of the line) is getting more experience both playing in general and playing together.

Like if Andre James played the way he did yesterday on week one I would have no problem with him

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yes but it goes both ways. If you can't run normally then play action doesn't really work because the defense doesn't respect the run. Play action also can struggle to work well when you're not good at pass blocking because it takes more time to develop. 

The Oline has actually gotten much better at actual run blocking and actual pass blocking. 

theres a good amount of data that suggests that while unintuitive, the effectiveness of the run game doesnt really impact the effectiveness of play-action. obviously if you just run play-action every single play and never run the ball, it wont keep working, but the data is pretty fascinating

play-action helps pass protection because in addition to holding the linebackers, it also holds the edge guys who need to make sure they keep their gap integrity instead of rushing upfield. it very much protects the offensive linemen from having to pass protect. it doesnt ask the guys to pass protect better, because its presenting conflict to the pass rushers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Derptacular said:

theres a good amount of data that suggests that while unintuitive, the effectiveness of the run game doesnt really impact the effectiveness of play-action. obviously if you just run play-action every single play and never run the ball, it wont keep working, but the data is pretty fascinating

play-action helps pass protection because in addition to holding the linebackers, it also holds the edge guys who need to make sure they keep their gap integrity instead of rushing upfield. it very much protects the offensive linemen from having to pass protect. it doesnt ask the guys to pass protect better, because its presenting conflict to the pass rushers

You don’t just come out the gate running play action. You run the ball first and if it’s affective then you can run play action because then the linebackers actually bite on it but when you don’t run the ball well the deal line sells out rather than holding their gap integrity. And then there’s some dlines (like ours for example) Who are coached to sell out on every play Regardless. 

Point being you’re not just gonna run play action and it be effective if the run game isn’t working. 

13 hours ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

This staff seems pretty tight knit, so I doubt it. Likely a combination of 2 things, the players gelling into their roles and the previous 2 weeks were against defenses/teams that seem to be giving up.

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The entire team and staff looks refreshed without Gruden around.

Let's not overreact on 2 games against terrible opponents. Denver with a lame duck coach and Philly with a rookie HC going nowhere. 

Great to see them handle business. But this team under Bisaccia has yet to be punched in the face yet to see how they punch back.

1 hour ago, SimonGruber said:

So Josh Jacobs posted on his IG that he doesn’t have a chest injury. So what the heck happened 🤔

Does he not have previous for this sort of thing? I seem to remember something last year where he used social media to deny a statement the team/coaches had made about him. Am I just mis-remembering or did this actually happen?