Do we really keep Shanahan another season?

Meow

I get that the popular opinion is that Shanahan gets one more year after this with Lance at the helm. But I've had enough. Getting our buts kicked by a Cardinals team missing a ton of starters is the final straw. Guy is conservative, makes no adjustments and the players constantly fail to execute (which is a reflection of coaching). You say what other coach is available yet we won 5 games with Tomsula while Shanahan seems to average 5-6 wins a year himself. 

The guy is not head coach material, Lets move on.

I mean, he's staying at least another season. Just from a pragmatic evaluation. His contract extension hasn't even technically kicked in until after next year 

So you can feel however you want about it him, but I just don't think that from a real world perspective, it's going to happen.

• Like 1

I have the OP on my ignore list but since we are here, Kyle gets one season with Trey as his starter 

The punt officially put him on the hot seat in my book, but he gets a shot with his hand picked QB at the minimum

As the losses pile up, the pressure for Trey to be worthy of two potential top 5 picks (plus another first), while also being the potential white knight for Kyle's San Francisco career is mounting 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Forge said:

I mean, he's staying at least another season. Just from a pragmatic evaluation. His contract extension hasn't even technically kicked in until after next year 

So you can feel however you want about it him, but I just don't think that from a real world perspective, it's going to happen.

I think he'll get 2-3 years with Lance. If it fails then brick by brick rebuild 54564981563 here we come.

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

More interesting question...do you make Lynch President of football Ops and hire someone like Dorsey to run the draft / personnel? 

I definitely think they should look at going that route. They gave Lynch a shot. And I like Lynch. But I don’t think he knows what he’s doing. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

More interesting question...do you make Lynch President of football Ops and hire someone like Dorsey to run the draft / personnel? 

Agreed. We need someone who has more experience. I like Lynch, I think he’s a good face of the organization and such, but he needs to let someone else run the GM portion. Same with Kyle, he needs to step back from that position and let the GM be the GM. He can give hints at what he would like, like any HC, but at the end of the day the GM has to make the final decision. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

Or just promote Peters. I remember reading somewhere that they kind of gave the later rounds to the personnel department and we’ve been hitting on those picks for the most part. It may have been an assumption on someone’s part, but I don’t think that we’ve been drafting poorly outside the first couple of rounds; of course that doesn’t really matter if Shanahan doesn’t play the guys. 

• Like 3

Just now, GW21 said:

Or just promote Peters. I remember reading somewhere that they kind of gave the later rounds to the personnel department and we’ve been hitting on those picks for the most part. It may have been an assumption on someone’s part, but I don’t think that we’ve been drafting poorly outside the first couple of rounds; of course that doesn’t really matter if Shanahan doesn’t play the guys. 

I do not think that Peters is ever a GM for us unless Shanny is gone. I think it's the same reason he's not currently the GM of Denver. 

I do not think that they want to put the team in a disjointed front office situation where you have a guy who was another guy's boss but is now lower on than the other guy, etc. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Forge said:

I do not think that Peters is ever a GM for us unless Shanny is gone. I think it's the same reason he's not currently the GM of Denver. 

I do not think that they want to put the team in a disjointed front office situation where you have a guy who was another guy's boss but is now lower on than the other guy, etc. 

I think Shanny needs to find out the hard way that u can’t have it your way all the time. Like some mentioned previously, if memory serves us correctly Peters and his crew have been taking the the later picks and knocking those out the park. I know Ambry Thomas was his (Peters) guy but he’s on the bench bc Kyle doesn’t want to play him anyways, so Kyle needs to take a step back and let them do his thing. There’s no way he can do everything and still put out a productive game plan. Case in point what’s happening this year. He needs to focus on being a HC and making sure his coordinators and personnel have everything they need to be successful. Just like any management lead. 

• Like 2

My only question is, will they actually take some of his “power” away from him. I mean it’s even on his face, you can tell he’s trying too much! Don’t get me wrong, it’s his own fault, but reality has to kick in at some point and he’s gotta be like, I need some help! And I’m not talking about, let me talk to pops. I respect him, he’s got a lifeline that he can call him and get advice, but come on Kyle, that’s why u have John and Adam. Jed HAS to take power away from him. 5 years in the making, u can’t say u still don’t have your players…

9 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I think Shanny needs to find out the hard way that u can’t have it your way all the time. Like some mentioned previously, if memory serves us correctly Peters and his crew have been taking the the later picks and knocking those out the park. I know Ambry Thomas was his (Peters) guy but he’s on the bench bc Kyle doesn’t want to play him anyways, so Kyle needs to take a step back and let them do his thing. There’s no way he can do everything and still put out a productive game plan. Case in point what’s happening this year. He needs to focus on being a HC and making sure his coordinators and personnel have everything they need to be successful. Just like any management lead. 

https://theathletic.com/2941640/2021/11/07/kawakami-what-should-the-49ers-do-cut-josh-norman-set-up-trey-lance-hold-off-on-the-major-firings-for-now/

Shanahan immediately pulled Norman from the game and later said defensive backs coach Cory Undlin decided to keep Norman out the rest of the way. And then nobody exactly raced to support Norman afterward.

It seems like there's a mix of Shanny and the position coaches deciding who to play. As stated above, it was his call to take him out of the game, but then it was the DB coach's call to keep him out. That seems to imply he wouldn't have objected to having Norman back in later, but he left that decision to his DB coach