WEEK 10: 5-4 Denver Broncos vs 3-6 Philly Eagles - Sunday November 14th @ 2:25pm MST

Dbrog24

Well folks, here we are again. Could this be the season of streaks for us? Certainly this game could keep ours going. I will say the Eagles usually keep games close so they aren't exactly a buy. They to have inconsistency issues though with the play of Hurts as well as well as their run game. Their defense has been generally good this season and it's worth noting some of their losses were to the best teams in the league. Then again, we just beat one of the best in the league so where does that leave us? Well I think it's been played to death but it doesn't make it any less true that we need to stick with our run game, even if it's not always working. Williams is an absolute stud and Gordon is having a surprisingly productive season. I'm curious if we see Meinerz at guard again to see if we can open up some holes like we did with the Cowboys. Sadly I would be shocked to see if Shurmur doesn't try to go back to his "aerial assault." PROVE ME WRONG BRONCOS....again! 😄

There's also probably some Hurts joke to be had here, but I'll leave that to someone else. 

Also a note, I think our defense could cause a lot of chaos if Cooper and Sterns flash again. Especially if Surtain plays we will have lots of opportunities for takeaways. I'm intrigued...

Reasons why we can win this game:

-PHI's pass D is incredibly vulnerable.   Slay will take one WR out if he's healthy - it's almost always the big body guy (so Sutton).  But their 2nd CB is no match for Jeudy.   And their TE D is abysmal.   Fant's back, hopefully Albert O is OK.   Crazy stat - PHI pass D has allowed QB's to complete 80 percent of their passes the last 3 games IIRC. 

-QB Jalen Hurts is still very much a raw thrower, who's got placement/accuracy issues, and recognition issues as well.      He's making progress, though.   

-HC Tony Siriani has looked outmatched on many levels in many games.    

Reasons why the Iggles can win this game:

-Their DL is still very disruptive - and we're going to have our 4th string T starting, along with Meinerz (who I absolutely love, but this is still a tall task pass pro wise).  They also have Javon Hargreave & Fletcher Cox back for full practices today, which is pretty ominous - they're such a different team run D and pass rush wise when both of them are healthy.   DE Josh Sweat returned to practice off concussion protocol, so sounds like they might have a fully healthy DL.  On the secondary front, Rodney Mcleod returned for a full practice, and Slay was limited.   Getting both back would help a lot, as no Mcleod was a big part of their secondary problems.   If we have to rely on Teddy B making plays instead of managing the O, things get dicey.

-On the flip side, Hurts mobility is something that our ILB's will find challenging - especially since it looks like Baron Browning might be iffy to play.   Our ILB corps being decimated is a huge problem.   We also look like we may be without Surtain - which makes our pass D a lot leakier.   They've found their run game with Hurts being a dual threat, and on the pass D front, Devonta Smith and Dallas Goedert represent big problems for us if Surtain is out.   And they have a 3-headed RB committee that can expose our RB coverage (Gainwell & Scott).

-While the team gets full marks for the DAL W, the reality is DEN went +5 in the TO game - 2 actual TO's 2 4th down stops, and that blocked punt that DAL muffed and allowed us to have a 1st down again.    Teams seldom lose when they go +3, let alone +5.    And that doesn't account for Dak Prescott missing 4-5 open guys, and 2 crucial 3rd down drops.  Again, we deserved to win - but those events are rare, random variance plays you just don't see.   If we have an even TO game with PHI, as an example, I expect PHI to win. 

-Finally, while Siriani looks lost as a HC - it's not like Fangio/Shurmur suddenly shed their skin and became pluses in game management.  I think rather than PHI being at a disadvantage, it's a draw.  

Everything says we should win - but I see this is a tight, 3-pt game, where likely TO's, and game management wins the game.    I'll go 27-24 PHI, just out of gut feel.  Frankly, my mindset isn't any different than before last week - simply because I don't see us legitimately contending this year when we face good teams (notwithstanding all those events last week, to say it's highly unlikely to happen again is an understatement).     I want to see our young guys keep progressing, and giving more hope, and avoid the big injuries.  I look forward to seeing more snaps with Meinerz & Sterns in particular. 

18 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Reasons why we can win this game:

-PHI's pass D is incredibly vulnerable.   Slay will take one WR out if he's healthy - it's almost always the big body guy (so Sutton).  But their 2nd CB is no match for Jeudy.   And their TE D is abysmal.   Fant's back, hopefully Albert O is OK.   Crazy stat - PHI pass D has allowed QB's to complete 80 percent of their passes the last 3 games IIRC. 

-QB Jalen Hurts is still very much a raw thrower, who's got placement/accuracy issues, and recognition issues as well.      He's making progress, though.   

-HC Tony Siriani has looked outmatched on many levels in many games.    

Reasons why the Iggles can win this game:

-Their DL is still very disruptive - and we're going to have our 4th string T starting, along with Meinerz (who I absolutely love, but this is still a tall task pass pro wise).  They also have Javon Hargreave & Fletcher Cox back for full practices today, which is pretty ominous - they're such a different team run D and pass rush wise when both of them are healthy.   DE Josh Sweat returned to practice off concussion protocol, so sounds like they might have a fully healthy DL.  On the secondary front, Rodney Mcleod returned for a full practice, and Slay was limited.   Getting both back would help a lot, as no Mcleod was a big part of their secondary problems.   If we have to rely on Teddy B making plays instead of managing the O, things get dicey.

-On the flip side, Hurts mobility is something that our ILB's will find challenging - especially since it looks like Baron Browning might be iffy to play.   Our ILB corps being decimated is a huge problem.   We also look like we may be without Surtain - which makes our pass D a lot leakier.   They've found their run game with Hurts being a dual threat, and on the pass D front, Devonta Smith and Dallas Goedert represent big problems for us if Surtain is out.   And they have a 3-headed RB committee that can expose our RB coverage (Gainwell & Scott).

-While the team gets full marks for the DAL W, the reality is DEN went +5 in the TO game - 2 actual TO's 2 4th down stops, and that blocked punt that DAL muffed and allowed us to have a 1st down again.    Teams seldom lose when they go +3, let alone +5.    And that doesn't account for Dak Prescott missing 4-5 open guys, and 2 crucial 3rd down drops.  Again, we deserved to win - but those events are rare, random variance plays you just don't see.   If we have an even TO game with PHI, as an example, I expect PHI to win. 

-Finally, while Siriani looks lost as a HC - it's not like Fangio/Shurmur suddenly shed their skin and became pluses in game management.  I think rather than PHI being at a disadvantage, it's a draw.  

Everything says we should win - but I see this is a tight, 3-pt game, where likely TO's, and game management wins the game.    I'll go 27-24 PHI, just out of gut feel.  Frankly, my mindset isn't any different than before last week - simply because I don't see us legitimately contending this year when we face good teams (notwithstanding all those events last week, to say it's highly unlikely to happen again is an understatement).     I want to see our young guys keep progressing, and giving more hope, and avoid the big injuries.  I look forward to seeing more snaps with Meinerz & Sterns in particular. 

This is a big bummer

39 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Kinda looking forward to seeing Shula call plays on Sunday. 

Shula or Munchak after Shurmur covid protocol. If he is not positive saturday and sunday he will be at stadium.

The covid spread in colorado is now at max. Thanks bye week is coming...

On 11/12/2021 at 1:40 PM, BroncoBruin said:

Kinda looking forward to seeing Shula call plays on Sunday. 

It's got me nervous. Cush and Risner are the only two starters on the OL. If he has a brain fart and decides to go all "Air Shurmer" we're in for a long day. Our OL will do just fine in the running game and okay in the passing game as long as it's unpredictable. If we run the ball in obvious passing situation like we did last week we'll be fine. If we drop back on 2nd and  third and long and let the Eagles pin their ears back it'll be a long day. Their two DT's will eat us alive. 

A run heavy attack will keep them honest and at altitude our IOL can wear them down. Cox doesn't want to have Meinerz beating on him all day but in the passing game he'll chew Quinn up.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

It's got me nervous. Cush and Risner are the only two starters on the OL. If he has a brain fart and decides to go all "Air Shurmer" we're in for a long day. Our OL will do just fine in the running game and okay in the passing game as long as it's unpredictable. If we run the ball in obvious passing situation like we did last week we'll be fine. If we drop back on 2nd and  third and long and let the Eagles pin their ears back it'll be a long day. Their two DT's will eat us alive. 

A run heavy attack will keep them honest and at altitude our IOL can wear them down. Cox doesn't want to have Meinerz beating on him all day but in the passing game he'll chew Quinn up.

This is a game the offense should score 23-27 points if they stick with the run and take the easy stuff in the passing game. They’ll give up the flats, Teddy just needs to take those and rely on YAC with Jeudy, the TEs and the backs. 

A letdown here could crater the season. A win gives them a lot of confidence headed into the bye week and puts them back into the mix for a playoff spot. It’s a test Fangio must pass.

• Like 1

More I think about, this is a season defining game for us.

Win today and we go to the bye at 6-4. Five of the remaining seven games are divisional games in a division with four pretty evenly matched teams. If we can go 3-2 in the division games we’ll be in good shape for a wildcard given the only two remaining other games are at home to the Lions and Bengals.

Lose and we’re 5-5 with six of our remaining seven games against teams with winning records. If that’s the case I could see us spiralling towards a 7-10/8-9 type season. 

3 hours ago, paul-mac said:

More I think about, this is a season defining game for us.

Win today and we go to the bye at 6-4. Five of the remaining seven games are divisional games in a division with four pretty evenly matched teams. If we can go 3-2 in the division games we’ll be in good shape for a wildcard given the only two remaining other games are at home to the Lions and Bengals.

Lose and we’re 5-5 with six of our remaining seven games against teams with winning records. If that’s the case I could see us spiralling towards a 7-10/8-9 type season. 

Totally agree.  This would’ve seemed crazy 3 weeks ago but our division is much less daunting now.  I don’t have any delusions about us being a good team but, with the way things have gone, a couple division Ws is no longer inconceivable.  If we’re not picking in the top 10 I’m ok with us trying to play our way on to Rodgers/ Wilson’s shortlist this offseason  (& Watson if cleared) and continuing to develop the young core - so long as Vic & co are still out on black Monday 

27 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Totally agree.  This would’ve seemed crazy 3 weeks ago but our division is much less daunting now.  I don’t have any delusions about us being a good team but, with the way things have gone, a couple division Ws is no longer inconceivable.  If we’re not picking in the top 10 I’m ok with us trying to play our way on to Rodgers/ Wilson’s shortlist this offseason  (& Watson if cleared) and continuing to develop the young core - so long as Vic & co are still out on black Monday 

W/ that said, Vic stumbling into a 9-8 7-seed and saving his job would be a f***ing travesty.  Idk what promises Paton made before the season but after the last couple years barring a deep playoff push my mind is made.

• Like 1