MNF: Bucs vs Giants

Malfatron

1 minute ago, Apparition said:

He went to the Harvard of the South and still plays like a total dumbass

He's the type of guy that has no idea what he's seeing on the field and it moves way too fast for him, but the minute he gets off the field and goes to the iPad knows exactly what everyone is doing and what went wrong

• Like 2

At this point, even if Jones has a future in the NFL, his rookie contract will be up by the time we fix the line. (That's if we get a new GM; otherwise, the line will never be fixed.) So we might as well turn the page after this year and commit to a true rebuild. 

7 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I feel like the prevalence of screens right now are coaches watching guys like Reid and Payton call plays, and learning the wrong things. The best play callers in the league are excellent at designing and timing screens. If the D can see it coming, it's useless (unless the D is trash, but then anything will work.) It has to counter aggression or take advantage of blitzes or tight man coverage (so only 1 guy is really watching the screen develop.) A good bubble screen can be good if they're in way off man and you have a talented wideout, but not otherwise. Instead, it's turned into a go to play of the my QB is bad at his job playbook, and it just doesn't work that way. I've been complaining the past few days about how many teams have been running TE screens to slow TEs against zone defenses watching the screen develop, and I'm 100% convinced some guys just saw Andy Reid call some screens to Travis Kelce and were like hey, we should do something like that.

spot on.

Feels like the NFL would be best served if they had some coaching school to help with wanna be up and coming coaches learn some of the nuances of play calling and game plan design.   Just not sure who in the retired coach market would be best for something like that.  

Hell, maybe get some ex QB to run something like that.   Peyton, Romo, Eli, Rivers.   Recently retired QB that really understand the game on offense and play calling, concepts, etc

1 minute ago, y*so*blu said:

At this point, even if Jones has a future in the NFL, his rookie contract will be up by the time we fix the line. (That's if we get a new GM; otherwise, the line will never be fixed.) So we might as well turn the page after this year and commit to a true rebuild. 

The Giants should definitely move on. Someone else should definitely bring Jones in, though. Even if it's just akin to the Bills bringing in Trubisky.

Man, the Giants have a weird roster, looking at it. Looking at the depth chart, that's not a roster that hasn't been invested in. A vet or two at each group of the offense and defense. Feels like some of the units on that team should be better than they are even outside Jones.

• Like 1

Other than the Lions, is there any other team that has a worse outlook for the future than the Giants?  A lot of really bad first-round picks.  Not a lot of high-end talent.  At this point they gotta fire Gettleman.  Jury is still out on Joe Judge, but doesn't look promising.  Barkley will likely never live up to the hype/expectations due to health.  Jones sucks.  The strongest group they have on the team, talent-wise, is WR and none of them can stay healthy.

At least the Texans can maybe get a huge haul for Watson if he is mostly cleared.  I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting but feels like the Giants are in a really bad spot.  

Edited by iknowcool

I'd definitely fire Joe Judge no matter how this season ends.  Just don't think he's the guy you want to lead a rebuild.

At this point, I think even a retread is a better option given how bad they have been for so long.  Someone that has experience and you know can right the ship and get you back to respectability.  And then once you build your roster and reputation up, you can look somewhere else.

• Like 2