2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

56 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

On a side note cutting Danny Trevathan is going to cost us a lot either way but it has to happen...might as well rip the bandaid off as quickly as possible.

At least this way he doesn't cost the team ON the field. Re-signing him was a terrible move. 

• Like 4

The more research I do into the Zone Blocking Scheme the more I am convinced we will pass on a lot of OGs and go after as many OTs who we feel can slide inside as possible…looking at teams like the Vikes, Bengals, 49ers, Rams & Packers who ran this scheme successfully last year they all have at least one starting IOL with starting experience at OT…the added athleticism and length of OTs really help with this scheme…looking back through the history of this scheme you have to get the LT and C position right in order to make the scheme work at it’s best as these guys are routinely their lines best players…it is imperative that the LT has the athletic upside to get really wide when running the outside zone…everything else gets caught up in the wash but they need to get outside in a hurry…the centre is key for inside zone plays where again their lateral movement needs to really stand out…

If we keep Whitehair on this roster next year he is 100% a centre…I think Borom probably slims down a little more and could slide inside to RG…Jenkins could more to RT then I could see us drafting a OT to slide inside to LG like Sean Rhyan who projects inside…then sign a an athletic LT…Terron Armstead if healthy would be excellent but his health is a concern and he would probably want a crazy amount of money…I think Joseph Noteboom could make more sense at LT if we can get him out of LA then also draft an athletic developmental guy like Braxton Jones who has a ton of tools to develop at LT.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The more research I do into the Zone Blocking Scheme the more I am convinced we will pass on a lot of OGs and go after as many OTs who we feel can slide inside as possible…looking at teams like the Vikes, Bengals, 49ers, Rams & Packers who ran this scheme successfully last year they all have at least one starting IOL with starting experience at OT…the added athleticism and length of OTs really help with this scheme…looking back through the history of this scheme you have to get the LT and C position right in order to make the scheme work at it’s best as these guys are routinely their lines best players…it is imperative that the LT has the athletic upside to get really wide when running the outside zone…everything else gets caught up in the wash but they need to get outside in a hurry…the centre is key for inside zone plays where again their lateral movement needs to really stand out…

If we keep Whitehair on this roster next year he is 100% a centre…I think Borom probably slims down a little more and could slide inside to RG…Jenkins could more to RT then I could see us drafting a OT to slide inside to LG like Sean Rhyan who projects inside…then sign a an athletic LT…Terron Armstead if healthy would be excellent but his health is a concern and he would probably want a crazy amount of money…I think Joseph Noteboom could make more sense at LT if we can get him out of LA then also draft an athletic developmental guy like Braxton Jones who has a ton of tools to develop at LT.

Regardless of scheme if you're not a Quentin Nelson or a high ceiling guy that fell like Trey Smith that should almost always be the case IMO. Obviously im not turning away from the top talents but most guys on the inside are usually too limited to be REALLY effective at OT, but its much easier to slide inside and be solid to great. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

If Jenkins and Borom live up to their potential, neither will be lacking in a zone scheme. 

No reason to get carried away with things. 

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

If the line is close to settled, resources should be spent elsewhere. Wide receiver, safety, cornerback, and linebacker come to mind. 

No OL is ever settled with just 5 starters...regardless of it being a LT like Armstead or Noteboom we should 100% draft a development LT.

Eric Edholm

@Eric_Edholm

·

12m

Bears are signing ex Browns/Falcons Willie Wright to a futures deal, per source

New Bears GM Ryan Poles’ first? Not sure

Wright is a 6-3" 300lbs OG...good athlete according to his pre draft numbers...near 34'1/2" arms...played OT in college at Tulsa...

Could be a quiz question one day haha.

Edited by Madmike90
  • Like 1

The more I look at who should take those two post June 1st cuts the more I think the only real options are Eddie Goldman & Danny Trevathan which would see Cody Whitehair survive and move to Centre with James Daniels probably then not returning...

If we cut Goldman post June 1st then we have $2.95 million hit the dead cap but a saving of $8.86 million...that is nailed on IMO.

If we cut Whitehair post June 1st then we have $4.2 million to the dead cap and a saving of $8.1 million which sounds great until you look at Trevathan...

Trevathan can't remain on this roster because he just isn't healthy enough to play anymore...he is due $5.71 million this season...if we cut him without the June 1st designation then it would cost us $8.95 million against the dead cap which completely wipes out any saving on Whitehair and that is before we get to Whitehair's dead money...cut Trevathan post June 1st and it's $2.43 million to the dead cap and a saving of $3.38 million.

36 minutes ago, G08 said:

I think you can still use Goldman and his 2-gapping prowess in this scheme, just need to be creative/flexible which, by all accounts, Eberflus seems to be.

I wouldn't write him off just yet.

For the amount of money he is being paid we could probably sign 3 or 4 guys at DT, LB, CB or Safety who are better fits in this scheme...we all liked Eddie but his heart doesn't seem in it and his play was downright bad last season...he just doesn't fit this HITS principle at all.

• Like 1