The next two drafts look terrible...

VanS

I have had a really tough time watching college football this year.  The talent level across the board has been significantly inferior compared to previous years.  Outside of a few prospects like Derek Stingley Jr and Will Anderson who look like can't miss future Hall of Famers, there just isn't a lot of standout talent.  Just look at Georgia.  They allegedly have a roster filled with 5 star players who have put up historic numbers on defense this year and I would be hard pressed to find one player on their roster who looks like a bona-fide NFL star.

After a pretty good run of drafts the last 5 years, I think the next two have a chance to be 2009/2013/2015 level of bad.   These next two years might be a good time to start trading draft picks for proven NFL talent. 

34 minutes ago, VanS said:

I have had a really tough time watching college football this year.  The talent level across the board has been significantly inferior compared to previous years.  Outside of a few prospects like Derek Stingley Jr and Will Anderson who look like can't miss future Hall of Famers, there just isn't a lot of standout talent.  Just look at Georgia.  They allegedly have a roster filled with 5 star players who have put up historic numbers on defense this year and I would be hard pressed to find one player on their roster who looks like a bona-fide NFL star.

After a pretty good run of drafts the last 5 years, I think the next two have a chance to be 2009/2013/2015 level of bad.   These next two years might be a good time to start trading draft picks for proven NFL talent. 

So your only claim to this is Georgia?  Georgia's defense is a good unit overall but sure they do not have super star players but could argue Jordan Davis could be a great NFL NT and they have multiple guys who will be in the NFL especially in that front 7.  And last time I checked you cannot claim guys as Hall of Fame players in their college career, pretty sure that is a wait and see how they are a few years into the NFL kind of thing.

But yeah back to Georgia, you lose what 4 DBs to the NFL I sure hope you are not as good as you were the year before.  And on the OL Shaffer looks like he could be a top 1 or 2 guard in the up coming draft and that RS FR center could be a super star down the road not to mention Brock Bowers who could be a standout in 2024 draft and has been amazing this years as a true freshman...

Most years freshman do not standout but this year there have been standout freshman and sophomore players and if you have not seen them, well you are not paying attention.  Oh and there is still going on an international pandemic so yeah might hurt the development of football players when some might not have even played football last year in high school depending on where they lived.  So yeah their freshman year might be a little lack luster.  Sure the OL and DL on the freshman crop is pretty weak but again considering the situation it is not a huge surprise, much less tons of "super seniors" are playing so freshman who normally might have played are not because there are sixth year players playing because they are still on the roster and normally would not be.  

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

So your only claim to this is Georgia? 

Not just Georgia.   Just used them as an example.   I try to watch as much college football as I can on Saturdays usually.   From 2015-2017 that was easy because of all the great players in the sport.  The last few years the talent tapered off.  This year the entire sport has been damn near unwatchable.   Not a single must see QB, RB, or WR.  And other than Will Anderson not a single premiere defensive player.   I like to watch the sport to see future NFL stars.   This year I'm seeing almost none.  Hence the reason I made this post.

Back in 2017 and 2018 I was making threads talking about how loaded those drafts were just for reference sake.  So it's not like I'm always down on prospects.  

7 minutes ago, VanS said:

Not just Georgia.   Just used them as an example.   I try to watch as much college football as I can on Saturdays usually.   From 2015-2017 that was easy because of all the great players in the sport.  The last few years the talent tapered off.  This year the entire sport has been damn near unwatchable.   Not a single must see QB, RB, or WR.  And other than Will Anderson not a single premiere defensive player.   I like to watch the sport to see future NFL stars.   This year I'm seeing almost none.  Hence the reason I made this post.

Back in 2017 and 2018 I was making threads talking about how loaded those drafts were just for reference sake.  So it's not like I'm always down on prospects.  

supernatural-jensen-ackles.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

you love grooming those prospects

If you wanna try and derail this thread with a totally unrelated topic then go ahead.  Don't expect me to join in.  I already discussed this years ago on another forum. 

1 hour ago, VanS said:

If you wanna try and derail this thread with a totally unrelated topic then go ahead.  Don't expect me to join in.  I already discussed this years ago on another forum. 

... maybe I'm missing context...?

8 hours ago, VanS said:

CJ Stroud Ohio State is a standout RS FR QB and has been extremely impressive this year, TreVeyon Henderson Ohio State how can one not be super impressed with him, hard to find any true freshman RB in 20 years as good as he has been and he barely even gets any carries.  Not to mention Braelon Allen Wisconsin who was amazing and has a outstanding future, both could be high draft picks with continued improvement.

Xavier Worthy Texas is a burner and has rare big play potential and open field speed.  Collin Oliver Ok State is a true freshman and a demon on the edge, could have a great future.  Cole Bishop Utah is one of the best hitting young safeties I have seen in awhile, great tackling technique.  Jack Sawyer showed flashes off the edge with good quickness and hand usage.  

Eli Ricks could be a super star corner no question about it, will be curious where he ends up but he has 1st round potential all over him. Antonio Johnson Texas A&M is one of the best defensive backs in the country and as a tackling large slot corner he is a standout and could be a great boundary corner, slot man or safety.  Joey Porter Jr Penn State has been great, might declare this year but if not in 2023 could be awesome.

Bryan Bresee Clemson missed all year but has top line 1st round potential at DT, Jalen Redmond Oklahoma is a good looking athlete who can really get after the QB, same with Calijah Kancey Pitt who has big time power and quickness inside.  Isaiah Foskey Notre Dame could declare for the draft but if he returns could be a high 1st round pick and has had a great year.   RS Will Anderson

Myles Murphy Clemson is another standout big defensive end with top 1st round ability, Colby Wooden Auburn probably declares as a RS SOPH but if not could be a standout next year, and BJ Ojulari LSU has a lot of potential just like his brother who is pretty solid in the NFL as a rookie.  Then with Michael Mayer Notre Dame one of the best TEs to come out in years, he can really do it all and Brenton Strange Penn State has a ton of size and upside as well just needs to continue to improve.

Jaxon Smith-Njigba Ohio State is easily a top flight WR and will be one of the best if not the best in 2023, amazing route running and how he is not a potential super star I have no idea.  Quentin Johnston TCU is a huge kid with big time speed also, just needs a better supporting cast around him and Jordan Addison Pitt has been one of the best WRs in the nation all year.

Bijan Robinson Texas could easily be a top 10 pick and is a rare RB prospect, love his quickness and burst, he has rare ability no doubt about it.  Kyren Williams Notre Dame had a great year and if he returns could become even better.  Tyler Allgeier BYU is a RS SOPH and could declare but dude is a tank and a big physical back with big play ability.  Tank Bigsby Auburn has high level ability as well and could really take off as a junior after two solid seasons.  Blake Corum Michigan and Devon Achane Texas A&M  both have game breaking speed especially Achane who has just tons of upside.

Then there is Bryce Young Alabama the Heisman trophy winner most likely, he is not impressive why, because he is skinny?  Dude has ripped up college football with a crap run game and a pretty bad OL and still is good, not to mention a weak WR core compared to the last few years at Bama.  But he sucks?  No he is a great looking prospect that really sees the field and again will easily win the Heisman this year.  DJ Uiagalelei Clemson came on late this year, tough season but he is still on paper a top of the line prospect that has rare size and arm talent, will see how he is next year and Jaren Hall BYU can really spin the football, nice looking arm and with another year could be something and I expect that maybe Rattler could do well again in a different environment but will see.

Will Rogers Miss State is not exactly awful and has really impressed on a so so offensive team for Miss State, he has made them into something and is a tough kid.  Jahmyr Gibbs is going to transfer but he has tons of upside at RB and in the right spot could work himself into being a high pick possibly.  Jeremy James Ole Miss I like a lot at tackle same with his teammate Caleb Warren at guard they have great potential.

Ikem Ekwonu NC State if he comes back for another year could be a 1st round pick but could maybe even be one this year if he declares as a RS SOPH.  Paris Johnson Jr Ohio State is poised to be one of the best guards in the nation no question next year, Brandon Coleman TCU I think has tons of ability and upside.  Siaki Ika Baylor is the best NT in the nation I feel and could declare this years as a RS SOPH or could come back and should be a lock 1st rounder.  Caleb Williams Oklahoma has not awful at OU, not great but considering the situation he played well and when he improves as a passer he has some rare leadership abilities at the position.

So there are tops of guys I have noticed but sure maybe not as many as one would think but again some did not even play high school football last year for one and two if they are on a team they cannot see the field because so many guys came back for another season with last year not counting and that is going to happen again even next year for some.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

... maybe I'm missing context...?

I'm weighing whether or not to have you continue disliking Van because of his awful takes and condescending judgment from on high, or tag @Malfatron or @Deadpulse and have them PM you/discord you the information.

I guess I decided to do the latter, and I trust that you'll forgive me. 

Hulk Hogan Handshake GIF

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm weighing whether or not to have you continue disliking Van because of his awful takes and condescending judgment from on high, or tag @Malfatron or @Deadpulse and have them PM you/discord you the information.

I guess I decided to do the latter, and I trust that you'll forgive me. 

Hulk Hogan Handshake GIF

Well... That sounds promising.

Hopefully it's nothing TOO bad. I mean, if it is...

macho man randy savage GIF

• Like 2