Is Gronk the greatest TE ever?

notthatbluestuff

Probably. To me he's kind of like LT is for linebackers; there are other TEs who are comparable receivers, there are other TEs who are comparable blockers, but none are on the same level for both phases. Also TE is a hard position to be a dominant force on the field, but in his prime he might have been the best offensive weapon in the league.

Also people talking about gonzo in Brady's offense, but am I the only one who thinks Gronk would be an absolute animal blocking for Priest Holmes and catching passes from Trent Green?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DinoZ said:

Trust me a pro bowl is real big deal when talking a players career,  you should know this.

You really not to up on Witten were you?

I realise he compiled a nice statistical line when all was said and done, but at his peak I never thought he was the best I'd ever seen. 

You seem agog that people on a message board would have differing opinions. 

12 hours ago, Jotun_Fan said:

Also people talking about gonzo in Brady's offense, but am I the only one who thinks Gronk would be an absolute animal blocking for Priest Holmes and catching passes from Trent Green?

If Gronk misses a lot of time due to injury in the 2010s, after the big increase of defenseless receiver after 2009, he may have not lasted long playing in the late 1990s and early 2000s, when defenses could tee off on guys over the middle with minimal consequences. 

4 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I realise he compiled a nice statistical line when all was said and done, but at his peak I never thought he was the best I'd ever seen. 

You seem agog that people on a message board would have differing opinions. 

With Witten at number 4 all time in receptions what opinions?   This guy was a stud without question one of the top two TE's.  Not really a debate.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, paintballdude777 said:

top 5 tight ends imo:

1: Tony Gonzalez

2: Antonio Gates

3: Shannon Sharpe

4: Jason Witten (?)

5: Rob Gronkowski

so yeah he's obviously going to make it in canton, but idrk if he's the best at his position

There isn't a single argument that you can make to put Jason Witten over Rob Gronkowski

• Like 2

Kelce will go down as the greatest receiving TE. Only 280ish career yards behind Gronk. 6000 behind Tony G tho. Might not catch Tony G total career yards, but Kelce's per season averages will be better.
Gronk might be the best overall TE though (receiving + blocking). And prob the best playoff TE.

Edited by Jeezla

Its really interesting discussion between Gronk and Kelce as to who is better. both have rings, both are dynamic. 

Gronks highlights were unreal in his younger days, his play style was so fierce. Ended up costing him a little too, he took shots to his knee, head and body that Kelce doesnt take. 

Too me there is so much grey area. Hard to do past 2011 as the best single season by a TE, as a receiver and a blocker. 18 Tds on the year and 1300 yards. Great reception average and catch%

Kelce is putting together the best consecutive streak of receiving seasons by a TE in 9 seasons I doubt a TE has had as much yards as Kelce has. 

On 12/10/2021 at 11:13 AM, Les Punting said:

Gonzales was far and away a better player, and it has nothing to do with longevity.

The #2 all-time TE would make for an interesting debate. As for GOAT, there shouldn't be any. It's Gonzales.Gonzales was his teams #1 receiver his whole career. He was the primary focus of opposing defenses and was still unstoppable. Gonzales averaged 78 rec/season and caught 90+ balls 5 times! Gronk has averaged all of 54 rec/season and caught 90+ exactly once. Gronk is basically Shockey+.

this man said gronk is shockey+ 

welp there goes having any discussion there