Is Gronk the greatest TE ever?

notthatbluestuff

Brady certainly thinks so.

“It’s been amazing to watch him perform,” Brady said. “He’s obviously the greatest tight end to ever play the game and still doing it. I think his ability to block in the run game, run routes in the pass game, win against smaller players, and then he’s very clutch. He comes up big in the biggest moments.”

Do you agree? How close is it? 

Yeah, I think so. Obviously as a Pats fan there may be some bias there.

But if you remember how he played at his peak...which is to say you could put him anywhere in the formation and he'd cause no end of matchup nightmares or cover issues. He had a huge catch radius, very physical getting out of his breaks, could find soft zones as well, very strong and physical after the catch, often dragged several defenders with him, and he was even faster than you'd expect

In blocking, he was one of the best run blockers on the team, period. Including OLs. A two-way TE in the very sense of the word

The flexibility this meant was invaluable. We so often came out in heavy packages to get the D to use big packages, and then flex him wide or in the slot and force a LB to cover him or a S to come down and sacrifice. They couldn't hang with him, more often than not. 

The TD record is insane, so he's one of the best RZ options I can think of as well

I do also love Gonzo. But I've never seen a TE who can be both a recieving and a blocking threat like Gronk

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

Man....idk. That's sort of a tough one for me to commit to either way. 

If I absolutely had to choose yes or no, I'd be far more comfortable saying yes. 

As a TE, he was THE weapon of an absolute dynasty, retired early, came back and didn't miss a beat, and has maintained that status for a long, long time. 

He doesn't have the yards and he's missed some time, but I think when we add in overall impact, he probably is. 

At his best, there was no better tight end all around. 

Did he have the greatest playing career? I still think so, yes. Though I understand why people would look at Tony G and say he had the better career as buoyed by the length of it. 

But at their peaks, I think Gronk was the better player. 

If you take away all his injuries, the answer goes from “I think so” to “without a doubt”. The whole injuries thing though makes it a big question mark. Gronk only put in a 16 game season 3 times in his career while Gonzalez only missed a game in a season twice in his. Consistency-wise, it’s Gonzalez, especially since he put his numbers up in a different league than this one. Skill-wise and ability to take a game over, it’s Gronk. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'm guessing most people will say something like Gronk had the best peak, but over a career Gonzalez has to be considered the greatest. 

This is exactly what I would say. Although peak TG really is BARELY below peak Gronk to me too. 

• Like 1