⏰ to completely clean house

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

If MM fails you might need to extend Carr and improve the team but if MM plays well then it might be time to move on.  I do not think MM is more talented than Carr but I do think MM has a good chance of having a better outcome.

I don't think Mariota's performance, good or bad should have any influence on our decision to extend Derek Carr. The team is a mess right now. Our offensive line is one of the worst in the league, we have nothing at WR outside of Renfrow, and Waller isn't playing. If Mariota plays and struggles why would that make extending Carr a better decision? 

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think Mariota's performance, good or bad should have any influence on our decision to extend Derek Carr. The team is a mess right now. Our offensive line is one of the worst in the league, we have nothing at WR outside of Renfrow, and Waller isn't playing. If Mariota plays and struggles why would that make extending Carr a better decision? 

There is no way of knowing Carr's impact on this team without seeing another QB in the same system with the same players.  Carr has played like a top 10 QB for stretches and looked horrible for others.  People who think it is the surrounding cast have an argument and those that think it is Carr have an argument.  Carr is the most polarizing QB in the league.  Seeing another QB will help give an idea of where blame should be placed.  I think Carr is a more talented QB but talent is not the entire picture.  The new coaching staff will at least have something to compare Carr to.  It will also give them an idea of what type of QB to go after if we decide to move on.  What if the line has an easier time blocking because they have to respect MMs running ability or it allows WRs to produce more because you can not run as much man coverage or have the LBs get back deep in their zones.  Changing the QB could make this team look completely different.  MM is also good at improvising mid play when it breaks down and Carr is pretty bad.

Playing MM we have a lot we can gain and sticking with Carr there is very little to gain.  The problem is Mark or Mayock need to make this decision because the coaches will not.  They already quit too.

10 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

There is no way of knowing Carr's impact on this team without seeing another QB in the same system with the same players. 

After the bye week we've had one good offensive game and that was against an undermanned Cowboys team on Thanksgiving. In the other 5 games our offense has averaged 13.4 ppg and didn't score more than 16 points in any of those games. There's really no reason to extend Carr at this point regardless of what happens the rest of the season.

12 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

I'm all the coaches in the NFL there's only one coach that gets his emails brought up 10 years later.

There's only been one player I've ever seen in NFL history that has ever killed somebody in a car accident before Ruggs: Dante Stallworth

That's called dysfunction. Not a curse. The Raiders are a dysfunctional franchise and dysfunctional crap keeps happening to them because there is terrible leadership up top. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Again what I said was we need to replace Abram as the starter.  We’re not likely to cut him on his rookie deal.  That said in some packages there is a role for him to play until his contract is over.

Rather have white take his snaps in that role, DD and Gillespie too.  Let him take Levitts PS spot

11 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

That is why I said we need to get rid of Cable also when we all discussed getting rid of Guenther a couple years ago.  Cable is the #1 reason for our O-line issues.  He thinks he is better than he is and Gruden would listen to him.

Cables offensive line was good when there was talent but what’s happening in LV was the same thing that happened in Seattle. For years they tried to fix the line on the cheap and we’re seeing the results of that with Seattle having one of the worst seasons in years. 

11 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

That is why I said we need to get rid of Cable also when we all discussed getting rid of Guenther a couple years ago.  Cable is the #1 reason for our O-line issues.  He thinks he is better than he is and Gruden would listen to him.

Cables offensive line was good when there was talent but what’s happening in LV was the same thing that happened in Seattle. For years they tried to fix the line on the cheap and we’re seeing the results of that with Seattle having one of the worst seasons in years. Granted that’s not all of the reasons for it (they do have KNJ as a defensive coordinator.)

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

That's called dysfunction. Not a curse. The Raiders are a dysfunctional franchise and dysfunctional crap keeps happening to them because there is terrible leadership up top. 

Dysfunctional because somebody brings up your emails from 10 years ago?

25 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Dysfunctional because somebody brings up your emails from 10 years ago?

That, isolated, no. 

But do we really believe that Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch wouldn't have uncovered something had they done their due diligence on Gruden instead of just fan girling for him? I find it very hard to believe that these emails were buried so deep that they would've stayed that way if any effort was given. 

That, mixed with what feels like an eternity of one guy after the next with character issues coming in, only for the organization to backpedal with the ol' "We didn't see it coming" excuse, is a problem. 

Gruden, Cable, AB, Bryant, Ruggs (I refuse to believe he was some choir boy beforehand), Trent Brown, Bowden, Arnette.... I'm surely missing some guys from just the recent past..... there's been a lot of overlooking of issues going on for a while. Maybe dysfunction isn't the best word, but there's definitely a pattern of very sloppy work from the top down. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Cables offensive line was good when there was talent but what’s happening in LV was the same thing that happened in Seattle. For years they tried to fix the line on the cheap and we’re seeing the results of that with Seattle having one of the worst seasons in years. 

I'd argue this slightly.... They drafted Miller (15 overall), Parker (65 overall), Pleatherwood (17 overall). That is not the cheap thing to do. They put a lot of high end resources into the Oline, they just picked the wrong talents (Miller aside).

They tried to go young and inexperienced. They hitched their wagons to bad coach in Cable who despite poor results in his career, they still gave a voice to on draft day. 

35 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

What's the thing with giving own players dumb, unfunny nicknames?

It's not Leatherwood's fault that he got drafted in the first round and declared as day-one-starter.

Agreed - Makes me eye roll every time I hear immature, elementary stuff like Pleatherwood and Leatherwhiff. 

Edited by jpaulthe1st

1 hour ago, Styrian Raider said:

What's the thing with giving own players dumb, unfunny nicknames?

It's not Leatherwood's fault that he got drafted in the first round and declared as day-one-starter.

It's tradition around here, lean into it

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

It's tradition around here, lean into it

Exactly. 

No worse than commentators or the public referring to players by dumb, unfunny nicknames like "Nuk", "D-Jax", "A-Rod", "Big D¡ck Nick", etc.

hqg GIF

I shall henceforth refer to him only as Mr. Leatherwood 🙄

• Like 1