⏰ to completely clean house

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Abram isn't good enough to be changing the scheme for him.

That’s absolutely true.  However I never ever said I’d change the scheme for him.  

A few weeks back I was thinking when we get a neW coach… if he doesn’t retain Bradley (which I hope isn’t the case) I’d like to see a young, innovative DC who runs a 3 Safety package with 2 high FS’s plus Abram As a hybrid S/LB.  I think a hybrid role is what He’s best suited for.”

First off, I said package not scheme.  That’s a massive difference.  Second, I didn’t say we should run this scheme to make Abrams more effective or the playmaker of the defense. I simply said “I think a hybrid role is what he’s best suited for”.  In such a Scenario Abrams would be pushed to a situational player, as he’s certainly not capable of being a 2 high FS. There’s a massive difference between situational player and changing the scheme to centering the defense around a player.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

A few weeks back I was thinking when we get a neW coach… if he doesn’t retain Bradley (which I hope isn’t the case) I’d like to see a young, innovative DC who runs a 3 Safety package with 2 high FS’s plus Abram As a hybrid S/LB.  I think a hybrid role is what He’s best suited for.

I'd just give up on Abram. He was a terrible pick and its shown. 

If you're not on the Dline or a two down run stuffing LB. You need to be able to cover.   Abram can't cover himself at night let alone Kelce or any other TE.

8 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

There's also the temptation to go big in FA this year. The Raiders are supposed to have the 9th most cap room in 2022 with around $50 million to spend according to Spotrac. I would not hate offering a guy like Terron Armstead half that and still have some to spend on a receiver and defensive tackle. Something like:

Cut: Kwiatkowski, Littleton, Nassib, Drake brings the total to over $60 million. Even more if the team waits until after June 1.

• Armstead $24 million per year. 5 years.
  • Gallup $12 million per year. 3 years.
  • Fatukasi $8-5 million per year. 3 years.
  • Receiver depth (e.g. Wil Fuller, Sammy Watkins, DJ Chark, Tre'quan Smith, Allen Lazard, etc.) $8-5 million per year. 1 year
  • Starting corner (e.g. Steven Nelson, Levi Wallace) $7-5 million per year. 1 year.
  • Interior DL depth x 2 $5 million per year. 1 year each.

In this situation, I may even go receiver in round 1 or 2, depending on who's available. The Raiders have had terrible luck at the position, so it's tough to not cover all their bases. Also, depending on who the head coach is, having three capable receivers may be exactly what the offense demands.

Imagine a starting offense bookended with Armstead and Miller, with Gallup, Fuller, Chris Olave, and Darren Waller on the outside. That's pretty exciting.

As we are going into a rebuild I don't know if its worth short term deals.

Maybe sign some young guys on long deals and try and build over the next couple of years. 

If we try thr quick fix, I can see us being stuck batting around 500 again.  

5 hours ago, raidr4life said:

If you watched the live draft shows the top picks for the Raiders while they were on the clock by the talking heads 2017 Rueben Foster. 2018 Josh Allen. 2019 Derwin James. 2020 CeeDee Lamb. We would have been better off listening to the media.

Gruden and Mayock were the media. 🥺

Honestly, I just want to see the Raiders build a respectable staff.

When Gruden hired his staff, it was underwhelming immediately. Cable, Olson, Morton on offense for example. Guys that would never sniff a HC job in the league. 

When is the last time the Raiders had a group of leaders who aspired to be HCs? Or guys that were up and comers who you'd hate to lose? 

2 hours ago, OnlyGlove said:

I'd just give up on Abram. He was a terrible pick and its shown. 

If you're not on the Dline or a two down run stuffing LB. You need to be able to cover.   Abram can't cover himself at night let alone Kelce or any other TE.

Again what I said was we need to replace Abram as the starter.  We’re not likely to cut him on his rookie deal.  That said in some packages there is a role for him to play until his contract is over.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

When Gruden hired his staff, it was underwhelming immediately. Cable, Olson, Morton on offense for example. Guys that would never sniff a HC job in the league. 

When is the last time the Raiders had a group of leaders who aspired to be HCs? Or guys that were up and comers who you'd hate to lose? 

If I could have it my way:

HC: Kellen Moore or Byron Leftwich

OC: Pep Hamilton. I've always liked him. Moore or Leftwich would probably be hands on, but I think Pep is a good coach to have around. I think the job he's done with Davis Mills, considering the state of Houston's roster, is really solid. 

QBC: Scott Tolzien, coaching assistant in Dallas. Heady coaching type when he played, rubbed shoulders with some good ones 

RBC:  Deshaun Foster, UCLA RB coach

WRC:  Leonard Hankerson, 49ers Offensive QC coach

OLC: Jim Michalzcik Oregon St. OL/Run game coordinator

DC: Eric Henderson, Rams run/DL coach

DLC: Tray Scott, Georgia Asst. Coach (DL)

LBC/Asst. HC: Manny Diaz, Penn St. DC/LB coach

DBC: Jordan Kovacs, Bengals D QC coach

Mostly young guys getting promotions, a lot of them were respectable players in the league. Decent mix of vets and fresh faces, with some seasoned guys who have been HCs at other levels, that are defense-oriented to help out a new offense-oriented HC. 

Not all of them are NFL HC material, but I think they all do their jobs very well and have OC/DC potential at least. 

The offensive assistants draw on a mix of styles: there's elements of Chip Kelly, there's Pep and Jim Harbaugh, Hankerson has been around Kyle Shanahan, Tolzien played with Rivers and Rodgers and Luck and now coaches Dak alongside Moore. 

I think for a creative mind like Moore or Leftwich, that would be beneficial. 

On Defense:

Eric Henderson has been a bright guy and the Rams DL benefits. Tray Scott oversaw a really stout DL. Manny Diaz had a hard job at Miami, but I think he's a good defensive mind and oversaw guys like Roche, Rousseau, and Phillips, and if Penn State believes in him as the LB coach at Linebacker U, I do too. Plus his experience would likely be helpful as he's, at the very least, a passionate guy about his teams- hence the Asst. HC tag. Kovacs has been helping the Bengals in their improvements and has stepped in at various levels of their defensive staff to fill in, so he's got some exposure to various levels of the D, which always helps. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

I’m 100% with you on this…. This is why I want a younger HC candidate who can bring in other younger up and coming coaches and grow as a group OR if we bring in a older HC he has to bring a packed assistant coaching staff with him.

yeah but there's little to no candidates that I actually like 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Jason Tarver and Todd Downing are the last two I can remember. Neither one ended up being great but they were young up-and-comers at the time.