WEEK 15: BENGALS AT BRONCO'S / ONE DOWN, FOUR TO GO

AKRNA

Shurmur takes a ton of heat (and maybe deservingly so) but it’s hard to know just how much the O is weighed down by TB’s tendency to checkdown to intermediate routes- see WR target share. If I’m ranking these four by their culpability I go Bridgewater, Shurmur, Fangio, Lock and would expect all four are gone in ‘22.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Shurmur takes a ton of heat (and maybe deservingly so) but it’s hard to know just how much the O is weighed down by TB’s tendency to checkdown to intermediate routes- see WR target share. If I’m ranking these four by their culpability I go Bridgewater, Shurmur, Fangio, Lock and would expect all four are gone in ‘22.

That's fair, but the playcalling and play design is on Shurmur and both of those things have been awful.

• Like 1

We've been doing the same thing for the past 6 years (paring a good to great D with a average to below average QB) and expecting success despite it never happening. I never got my hopes up for any chance of the playoffs because of that and if any fan did, then I'm sorry you only have yourselves to blame. Fans, FO, coaches, etc kept clinging to the 2015 season and hoping that lightning would strike twice, but hopefully after this year that comes to an end. We MUST invest heavily into the QB position via trade or the draft in the offseason.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

We've been doing the same thing for the past 6 years (paring a good to great D with a average to below average QB) and expecting success despite it never happening. I never got my hopes up for any chance of the playoffs because of that and if any fan did, then I'm sorry you only have yourselves to blame. Fans, FO, coaches, etc kept clinging to the 2015 season and hoping that lightning would strike twice, but hopefully after this year that comes to an end. We MUST invest heavily into the QB position via trade or the draft in the offseason.

I am just hoping for two more wins so we can avoid the losing season...to me that would be a good season.

3 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

I would add that we also don't know how Shurmur is coaching them. The designs may be fine, but maybe he isn't coaching them to go through their reads the correct way? Overall, I agree though. 

6 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I'm optimistic about the core we have, the GM we have, and the cap space we have. But to 101's point, if we come into next season with Teddy and/or Lock in a starting role, fans simply aren't going to go to the games. People were booing through the game yesterday. Fans aren't showing up. For a team about to be sold, that has to change and fast.

We have the core, but the most important position on the field is a massive black hole. If they land a big fish, this is a SB team. 

Like I said, TB, Shurmur, Lock and Shula are absolute toast. TB was stop gap anyway. He needed a great season to get a long term offer and that just never happened.

We'll get a major upgrade at QB somehow. Paton's got us lots of quality picks, a ton of cap room and a serious contender with the right QB. Whats not to like?

6 hours ago, broncosfan07 said:

I really don’t get the optimism in Fangio being retained, I really don’t care what he brings to the table as a DC. He’s not being paid as a DC nor is that his role. He has lost almost every big game in his career, he is something like 1-22 now trailing a halftime, continues to make worse game management decisions than a flag football coach.

He is done, he was given his dream defense to win with and the type of QB he wanted and he has failed. End of story, get his *** along with Shurmur, Teddy and Drew out of town.

That's a little curious don't you think? TB was Patons quick pick up, stop gap only. Also, which of the 100 or so LB's we've had to cycle through due to injury were part of the dream?

18 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Like I said, TB, Shurmur, Lock and Shula are absolute toast. TB was stop gap anyway. He needed a great season to get a long term offer and that just never happened.

We'll get a major upgrade at QB somehow. Paton's got us lots of quality picks, a ton of cap room and a serious contender with the right QB. Whats not to like?

I have no problem keeping Teddy around as a backup, but only at the right price. He’s actually an ideal backup - prepares well, good in the locker room, has experience in multiple systems and already has a rapport with the surrounding talent. Drew has to go, he’s not a backup. And I like Drew and still think they hosed him here developmental wise but that’s how it goes sometimes. 

• Like 1

That was a god-awful effort - and there is plenty of blame to go around. The only people exempt from blame are the players (excluding Teddy and Lock). They are doing the best they can while being put in terrrible situations by poor QB play, poor play-calling and p*ss-poor game management.

The six point swing at the end of the 1st half summed up the entire season - indeed Fangio's entire tenure. 

We get A-Rod or Wilson (or even Cousins) with the likes of Allen and Kubiak (or someone else that can run a modern version of the Shanahan/Kubiak offence) and this team is instant SB contenders. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I have no problem keeping Teddy around as a backup, but only at the right price. He’s actually an ideal backup - prepares well, good in the locker room, has experience in multiple systems and already has a rapport with the surrounding talent. Drew has to go, he’s not a backup. And I like Drew and still think they hosed him here developmental wise but that’s how it goes sometimes. 

Let's be clear though - it's one thing to sign Teddy to a 1 year 3M deal to be Wilson's backup, or A-Rod's.   Sure, why not.    But if it's a Rd1 rookie QB and we actually have to let TeddyB actually start games until the rookie is ready - OMG NO FREAKING WAY.    Again, we'd be better off with Fitzmagic, Dalton or even Marcus Mariota IMO.   And if TeddyB's holding out for more $ - sign one of the other guys before signing him.   He just handcuffs our O so much. 

I don't think there's anyone who argues we shouldn't go after one of the elite QB's, so in that scenario sure, if TeddyB's market runs dry, as an emergency backup, I guess you can do worse.   But in the backup/stopgap market, we have at least 3 other options who can be much better, too.   And if there's a legit chance that he's actually starting games as Plan A (Rookie Rd1), that's a hard pass.

Edited by Broncofan

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

16 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Let's be clear though - it's one thing to sign Teddy to a 1 year 3M deal to be Wilson's backup, or A-Rod's.   Sure, why not.    But if it's a Rd1 rookie QB and we actually have to let TeddyB actually start games until the rookie is ready - OMG NO FREAKING WAY.    Again, we'd be better off with Fitzmagic, Dalton or even Marcus Mariota IMO.   And if TeddyB's holding out for more $ - sign one of the other guys before signing him.   He just handcuffs our O so much. 

I don't think there's anyone who argues we shouldn't go after one of the elite QB's, so in that scenario sure, if TeddyB's market runs dry, as an emergency backup, I guess you can do worse.   But in the backup/stopgap market, we have at least 3 other options who can be much better, too.   And if there's a legit chance that he's actually starting games as Plan A (Rookie Rd1), that's a hard pass.

I agree with all of this. Teddy should not be starting. Also, if he had another concussion is he too damaged?

I'd also point out that Fangio is a bad head coach and if he's back next year in that role then Paton is crazy. I'm ok with Fangio on the defensive side of the ball, but that's it. If a new HC will wants to retain Fangio, and Fangio wants to stay on, that's a plus.

5 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Before we go down that road I'd really like to see what Rypien can do. Can he be a quality backup? Hell if I know but we've been protecting him a long time for some reason.