Which trade was more damaging - Seattle trading for Jamal Adams or Houston trading for Laremy Tunsil?

ET80

Which hurt more  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which was worse for their franchise?

• Seattle trading for Adams
    • Houston trading for Tunsil

Both Seattle and Houston gave up a significant amount of assets to bring in Adams and Tunsil, respectively. On top of that, both franchises had to issue top-of-market contracts to both players shortly after making the trades.

Both teams are really suffering after the fact - while both players are solid, neither has really elevated their team to that contender level, and without those picks, both teams are now lacking young, impact players to bolster their team.

So... which one of these trades were more damaging to their franchise?

Houston - and it's not even close for me..

Forget all the arguments about Seattle.. Houston gave up a pick that could have been Penei Sewell, who is worth more than Tunsil alone.

Also, not having the draft pick absolutely screwed over Houston's ability to rebound from what otherwise could have been a much shorter rebuild

Seattle is still in year 1 of their 2 years of lost picks, but I'm in no way convinced that any piece they gave up will be anything compared to Sewell, nor do I think not having the pick will impact their rebuild nearly to the extent that Houston did

Seattle IMO simply because at least Tunsil is a great OT. What magnifies the Tunsil trade, IMO, is the ongoing Watson saga. Yes, I realize that despite having Watson last year it ended up costing Houston a Top 5 pick, but at the same token, that Houston defense is/was a trainwreck.

I think Seattle may have to still blow it up, wheras at least Houston is already in that process and can likely still salvage some things.

JMHO

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

Forget all the arguments about Seattle.. Houston gave up a pick that could have been Penei Sewell, who is worth more than Tunsil alone.

Also, not having the draft pick absolutely screwed over Houston's ability to rebound from what otherwise could have been a much shorter rebuild

Seattle is still in year 1 of their 2 years of lost picks, but I'm in no way convinced that any piece they gave up will be anything compared to Sewell, nor do I think not having the pick will impact their rebuild nearly to the extent that Houston did

Right now that pick from Seattle is the 7th in the draft though. That could easily be an extremely good prospect (who knows, maybe it's Neal). It's actually very similar to what happened with Houston in that the second year pick ended up pretty high. Not sure it gets as high as that Houston pick, but it doesn't necessarily have to be. The pick they are giving up this year is worth way more than Adams and I'd much rather have Tunsil as a block moving forward. 

The only difference between them is really that Wilson hasn't outright refused to play for Seattle and they won't have to enter a full rebuild until he does. Watson sort of forced Houston's hand. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

The only difference between them is really that Wilson hasn't outright refused to play for Seattle and they won't have to enter a full rebuild until he does. Watson sort of forced Houston's hand.

IMO what Wilson is doing is worse. "I want to finish my career in Seattle" says Wilson, who also lists 3 teams that he'd hypothetically waive his NTC for...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Both Seattle and Houston gave up a significant amount of assets to bring in Adams and Tunsil, respectively. On top of that, both franchises had to issue top-of-market contracts to both players shortly after making the trades.

Both teams are really suffering after the fact - while both players are solid, neither has really elevated their team to that contender level, and without those picks, both teams are now lacking young, impact players to bolster their team.

So lets summarize the comparison here: 

Jets traded Jamal Adams and a 2022 4th round pick to the Seahawks for Bradley McDougald, 2021 1st round pick, 2021 3rd round pick, and 2022 1st round pick. 

The Dolphins sent Laremy Tunsil, Kenny Stills, 1 2020 4th and a 2021 6th to the Texans for 2021 1st, 2021 2nd, 2020 1st, Julien Davenport and Johnson Bademosi. 

My first response is that I think both teams that traded for the player lost the trade.  I also think both teams trading this amount for a player that is: A) not a QB, B) needing a long term contract extension was incredibly stupid. The teams essentially traded both draft capital and cap space for these players.  

That being said, in the aftermath of these trades I'd much rather have the LT than an in the box safety. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

Seattle right now would be giving up the #7 overall pick in this upcoming draft and they quite possibly could lose Russell Wilson this offseason.  

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

So lets summarize the comparison here: 

Jets traded Jamal Adams and a 2022 4th round pick to the Seahawks for Bradley McDougald, 2021 1st round pick, 2021 3rd round pick, and 2022 1st round pick. 

The Dolphins sent Laremy Tunsil, Kenny Stills, 1 2020 4th and a 2021 6th to the Texans for 2021 1st, 2021 2nd, 2020 1st, Julien Davenport and Johnson Bademosi. 

My first response is that I think both teams that traded for the player lost the trade.  I also think both teams trading this amount for a player that is: A) not a QB, B) needing a long term contract extension was incredibly stupid. The teams essentially traded both draft capital and cap space for these players.  

That being said, in the aftermath of these trades I'd much rather have the LT than an in the box safety. 

Who did these picks become is my question. So let's break it down:

Dolphins got:

WR Jaylen Waddle

DB Jevon Holland

OL Solomon Kindley

DB Noah Igbinoghene

2022 1st round pick

2022 3rd round pick

2023 1st round pick

Houston got:

LT Laremy Tunsil

WR Kenny Stills

QB Ryan Findley

As of now, Houston looks like they got absolutely rocked in this trade. They could have had the No. 3 overall pick to get their long-term QB too. 

The Seahawks-Jets trade is bad too

Seahawks got:

S Jamal Adams

2022 4th round pick

Jets got:

OG Alijah Vera-Tucker

2022 1st round pick

S Bradley McDougald

Jets win that but slightly.

2 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Who did these picks become is my question. So let's break it down:

Dolphins got:

WR Jaylen Waddle

DB Jevon Holland

OL Solomon Kindley

DB Noah Igbinoghene

2022 1st round pick

2022 3rd round pick

2023 1st round pick

Houston got:

LT Laremy Tunsil

WR Kenny Stills

QB Ryan Findley

As of now, Houston looks like they got absolutely rocked in this trade. They could have had the No. 3 overall pick to get their long-term QB too. 

The Seahawks-Jets trade is bad too

Seahawks got:

S Jamal Adams

2022 4th round pick

Jets got:

OG Alijah Vera-Tucker

2022 1st round pick

S Bradley McDougald

Jets win that but slightly.

The question in the OP isn't who won the trade, its who's in a worse situation now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

Not to highjack the thread - but the other contender for Adams was us. That pick turned into Micah Parsons. My take away - sending a bunch of picks almost never works and often it takes years to recover.

23 hours ago, scar988 said:

Dolphins got:

WR Jaylen Waddle

DB Jevon Holland

OL Solomon Kindley

DB Noah Igbinoghene

2022 1st round pick

2022 3rd round pick

2023 1st round pick

Houston got:

LT Laremy Tunsil

WR Kenny Stills

QB Ryan Findley

Subtract the 2022 1st round pick, because the Dolphins would up trading their FRP to move back up and select Jaylen Waddle. So that cancels that out.

On 12/15/2021 at 9:08 AM, ET80 said:

Wellllll you see one player is a franchise LT and the other is a glorified linebacker who actually isn't that good at all.

At least the Texans got a top 5 player at a very important position. The Seahawks got....an average Safety.

• Like 2