Head Coach Firing/Hiring/Interview Rumors

Broncofan

It’s an interesting open field this year. 

The Broncos have a solid roster but no QB. They also have a well-regarded GM but massive ownership questions. 

The Jags have a QB but a lacking roster. They have a GM problem with an owner who makes mistakes but is also accountable. 

The Bears have a young QB but one who is polarizing. An okay roster but they need to get a GM first. Ownership seems a bit stingy. 

The Raiders somehow made the playoffs after more crap than any team should have to deal with in one year. There is talent and there is an owner who spends but is thought of as kinda a goofball.  

The Dolphins are SOOOOOO in flux. Owner seems very impatient. GM seems inept. But Flores, from accounts I’ve read, appeared to be a major problem there in terms of his demeanor, control-freak nature and inability to work well with others (I.e. he’s another BB assistant turned HC). Roster has some intrigue. 

From the outside, it looks like all jobs have a lot of pluses and minuses. It’s about pairing the Coach/GM/Owner/team culture. The teams that win and enjoy success find ways to make that all work. The ones who don’t will be looking for new coaches and/or new GMs within the next 2-3 years. 

Organizational culture is a huge factor that often gets overlooked in these circumstances.  

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

It's amazing to me that they are going to keep Baalke around. That dude is poison. 

I’m expecting it for sure.

However, there’s a chance that similar to what happened back in 2013 when we canned the GM and let them decide on Mularkey (and Andy Reid forcing Pioli out in KC when he was hired) a coach could tell Khan he won’t come here unless Baalke is gone.

Probably wishful thinking, but seems possible at this point.

7 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

It's total dependant on what the GM/HC want to do with Carr. There is already a solid vet in place that not many openings would likely have. However you could trade him and get a nice pick and get your guy too.

You could get multiple picks for Carr including a first, if Wince and Stafford got what they got that is roughly his market. I'd keep him but Harbaugh could look to go Mariota in a run heavy offense and use the picks to build Fangio a monster

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

I’m expecting it for sure.

However, there’s a chance that similar to what happened back in 2013 when we canned the GM and let them decide on Mularkey (and Andy Reid forcing Pioli out in KC when he was hired) a coach could tell Khan he won’t come here unless Baalke is gone.

Probably wishful thinking, but seems possible at this point.

Harbaugh might actually be attracted to Jax if he can turn up and get Baalke fired. 

Just now, Jraider91 said:

Harbaugh might actually be attracted to Jax if he can turn up and get Baalke fired. 

There’s been legitimately zero buzz on that. So I’m going to say that’s doubtful. 

From the reports the only coaches that would likely be fine with Baalke are Bevell and BoB. Gotta hope Shad uses some common sense in the coming week(s).

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

There’s been legitimately zero buzz on that. So I’m going to say that’s doubtful. 

From the reports the only coaches that would likely be fine with Baalke are Bevell and BoB. Gotta hope Shad uses some common sense in the coming week(s).

Yeah I was joking but it would be very on brand for Harbaugh 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

That makes it least desirable to me only because you essentially are forced to be tied to him. Every other team besides the Jags can pick their guy at QB.

I mean this draft has literally nobody. The other jobs are tied to Tua most likely (reportedly the GM won the fight with Flores to roll w/ Tua long term), Cousins has a $35M guarantee next year, the Broncos have no one, etc.

It really depends on who the coach likes/wants. Being tied to Fields or Lawrence (or I guess any of the other guys) could be a good thing depending on how the coach views the player. If they dislike any of the young QBs they likely just stay away.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

I mean this draft has literally nobody. The other jobs are tied to Tua most likely (reportedly the GM won the fight with Flores to roll w/ Tua long term), Cousins has a $35M guarantee next year, the Broncos have no one, etc.

It really depends on who the coach likes/wants. Being tied to Fields or Lawrence (or I guess any of the other guys) could be a good thing depending on how the coach views the player. If they dislike any of the young QBs they likely just stay away.

Lawrence and Fields are on different ends of the spectrum in my opinion. Lawrence would have been every new coaches #1 pick if they had the choice, Fields isn't anywhere near him in that regard and might have to play a specific style to succeed(we dont know yet but his first year was underwhelming with absolutely zero growth over the course of the season)

Cousins is gone in a year and a proven vet, Denver has a blank slate you can grab your guy or wait but you are not handcuffed. Carr, like Cousins, a vet. 

Miami has Tua but he's polished as a passer, there is not a lot of work he needs to do other than just play well consistently.