Head Coach Firing/Hiring/Interview Rumors

Broncofan

28 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Lynn got play calling duties taken away half way through the season, after starting 0-8. Our offense during that time was almost exclusively 0-3 yd passes and not finding gaps for our RBs. Dan Campbell ( who has never called plays) took over at the BYE week and Lions finished the season 3-5-1, with more emphasis on the run, more throws down field, and more gadget plays to get guys open.

Anthony Lynn continued with the team until the end of the season, and by all accounts was good coach and true professional. He just didn't fit as an offensive coordinator. Think the Lions will look to promote TE coach Ben Johnson to OC, as he was helping Campbell design plays down the stretch. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ET80 said:

For as much as I poopoo on the Texans, Pep was pretty phenomenal in getting Davis Mills up to NFL speed. Mills made notable improvements every time we saw him.

Mills started his NFL career with six consecutive INTs during 7 on 7 in Training Camp, and ended this season with a furious 300/3 finish in a rally against the top team in the AFC. Pep put in diligent work to get Mills ready every week, and it showed.

Pep in Carolina could be a QB whisper, a guy who gets young QBs ready for the speed of the pro game. Getting called a QB whisperer is basically a fast track to a HC opportunity, and that might be Pep's future...

Pep’s a good QB coach. He helped Herbert last season as well. But I don’t think he should be an OC.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

This is the 2nd time I've heard that this happens a lot, and I believe you, I just can't think of any recent instances off the top of my head.

It basically happened in Denver this year. George Paton was hired last off-season to be the GM. This year he will be hiring his head coach and most likely bring in his QB. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

What's the best job opening? They all look less than desirable for a few reasons. If the Raiders job becomes available it's probably #1. 

I really want to say Jacksonville is #1.  I think Lawrence will be fine.  You have another high draft pick.  You have a lot of cap space.  I'm not saying it will be an easy turnaround, but you walk into a situation where you can really mold a team into your own vision without being stuck to old pieces.  

The problem of course is Trent Baalke.  So that knocks them down quite a few pegs.

Raiders have the best QB of the teams who need a head coach, assuming they don't retain their interim.  I think Denver has the best roster.  If you feel REALLY confident you can swing a trade for one of the top QBs, then I'd probably see the Broncos as the most ideal situation for a candidate.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

I really want to say Jacksonville is #1.  I think Lawrence will be fine.  You have another high draft pick.  You have a lot of cap space.  I'm not saying it will be an easy turnaround, but you walk into a situation where you can really mold a team into your own vision without being stuck to old pieces.  

The problem of course is Trent Baalke.  So that knocks them down quite a few pegs.

Raiders have the best QB of the teams who need a head coach, assuming they don't retain their interim.  I think Denver has the best roster.  If you feel REALLY confident you can swing a trade for one of the top QBs, then I'd probably see the Broncos as the most ideal situation for a candidate.  

Jags have the #1 pick and Lawrence is definitely intriguing but as you said everything else that comes with it. 

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

It's amazing to me that they are going to keep Baalke around. That dude is poison. 

So far, the Giants have asked for permission to interview the following people for their GM opening:

Monti Ossenfort, TEN

Ryan Cowden, TEN

Joe Schoen, BUF

Ryan Poles, KC

They also interviewed internal candidate Kevin Abrams.

I'd imagine there is even more to come. They did themselves a real disservice with the stupid decision to interview barely anyone back in 2017. They're casting a wider net this time, which is good. Hopefully they make a good hire.

I know about some of these guys, but what I know does not matter. None of these guys have been GM before, so no decisions or moves their teams have made matter and what they say at an introductory press conference doesn't matter. I've been burned before. I'll wait until the person gets hired and starts making moves before having an opinion on them. I just really hope they 1 fire Joe Judge and 2 understand modern football and team building.