Which of these frustrate you the most?

biggie.

Which of these is most frustrating to you?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Spotty officiating
    • Pretentious analytics
    • Toxic fans
    • Other, Specify
    • Overcommercialization/overexposure

Spotty officiating needs no introduction. We all know how much refs can flip a game around with the yellow hankies.

Pretentious Analytics

"Coach X made an error: our statistical anaytics model suggets that by going for it on 4th down they increase their win probability ratio by 0.5%."

"Even though it's the first quarter and Team X is only down by 1, analytics dictate that Team X ACKCHYUALLY should have gone for it instead because it increasez...blah blah blah"

There's a reason these nerds make money by posting stupid tweets instead of being on an NFL team. I'll take Belichick's decisions over these clowns any day of the week.

Toxic fans

I used to be one and I'm proud to say I've been getting better about it. These are the people that have to gove a crazy hot take and proclaim a player is done because he had one bad game or is in a slump. 

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 1

Other is a bit broad, biggie…

endless commercials

Players who are way too big for their cleats claiming they’re the best in their position when they ain’t

5 yard pen and automatic 1st down on 3rd and long

the law that when an offensive player fumbles out the EZ it’s a touchback for the opposition

Steven A Smith, Nick Wright, Skip Shameless

Madden and the obsession with madden ratings 

‘draft experts’, aka snake oil salesmen 

being obsessed with how a player looks, physically

cherry picking stats to suit a narrative 

but I do love this sport! Honest.

• Like 1

Pretentious analytics and it isn't even close. The officiating has always been average at best, you learn to live with it, but meme analytics is absolutely destroying these coaches minds. Take that Bears game last night as an example, off the top of my head they went for it atleast 3 times on 4th down in the redzone instead of kicking field goals and they lost by one score.

Officiating

The monopoly that DirecTV has with the Sunday Ticket and that almost all games are at 1:00 or 4:15. I can watch college football all over the country from noon to 2AM on about 7-8 networks but somehow I have to choose to buy packages and even then channel surf all day.

The time we waste all season talking up dumb narratives that end up not even close to true. Stuff like the Chiefs are done, the Pats suck, the Cardinals are unstoppable, Shanahan is a terrible coach and should be fired, etc etc. Months later it turns out we know nothing. Sometimes I think fans should just shut their mouths all season and talk about football only from March to August. 

• Like 2

The fact that a 60 minute game is turn into a 3h30, a lot of it because of adds.

I fume about refereeing a lot, and there's definitely a lot of improvement to be made concerning officiating standards, rule clarification, and it's beyond pathetic that it's so hard to pass new rules or improve older ones.

Officiating.

Bengals have a "taunting" call that gives SF a first down when it would have been 4th and long and SF ends up scoring a game deciding touchdown after that.  The taunting was Von Bell pointing at a player after he picked the ball up off the ground and running a bit and saying "You almost hit me" and laughing about it.

Fast forward to this week, Bradley Chubb takes 4 steps after the play and delivers a helmet to helmet hit on a Bengals player who was on the ground before those 4 steps and they pick up the flag.

https://youtu.be/Kqdp8hIardY

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 2

Took me a while to think about this, but as of now the dynamic (at least in football conversations) that annoys me the most is the commentary from the hecklers and gatekeepers regarding quarterback throws that aren't 10/10 perfect even if the ball is caught. If a throw is high, it seems like for some quarterbacks every throw is high, or that one bad inaccurate throw negates six accurate ones. If you go back and watch guys like Marino, Montana, Fouts, or Moon throw the ball they of course had their fair share of games with inaccurate passes that were still caught. But people en masse seem to just focus on the negative throws sometimes even with a positive net gain. Or a nearly disastrous pass that was dropped by a defender...as if luck happens in sports and you aren't allowed to benefit from it. For whatever reason the last few years the squawking about ball placement has grown to an intolerable level. I've become a firm believer as more time passes, it's just a lot easier to focus on the bad (in life in general) because it's an easier way to come off as the smartest person in the room. Probably just a bedrock of our society, but that's another rabbit hole. 

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Officiating.

Bengals have a "taunting" call that gives SF a first down when it would have been 4th and long and SF ends up scoring a game deciding touchdown after that.  The taunting was Von Bell pointing at a player after he picked the ball up off the ground and running a bit and saying "You almost hit me" and laughing about it.

Fast forward to this week, Bradley Chubb takes 4 steps after the play and delivers a helmet to helmet hit on a Bengals player who was on the ground before those 4 steps and they pick up the flag.

https://youtu.be/Kqdp8hIardY

That one is bad and so obvious.

But it all joins up with my point about officiating standards: you get different rules according to different crews.

That, absolutely, should not be the case.

Edited by kramxel