Which of these frustrate you the most?

biggie.

Which of these is most frustrating to you?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Spotty officiating
    • Pretentious analytics
    • Toxic fans
    • Other, Specify
    • Overcommercialization/overexposure

Have to go with the popular answer: spotty officiating. Calling it spotty is too flattering, really. Referees in general are trying too hard to be a part of the game. They need to step back and understand that no one is watching the game to see them. Get out of the players' way and let them do what they're paid to do.

In a nutshell, they should just pretend every team is the Packers. Hardly anything will get called, but too few penalties are better than too many, and at least it will be consistent. 🥳

22 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

1. Obj thinking he is not only a no.1 wr also a super star

2. Crappy officiating, I can ignore the off the field stuff, but not the game being stupid.

Yeah but he was in an Instagram post with Kendall Jenner (?), so that’s all that matters

On 12/21/2021 at 1:08 PM, StatKing said:

Refs are human, not robots. I dont expect them to regulate the game on a frame by frame basis like a lot of people do. It is what it is, I dont know how you can refine the process anymore than it already is. Also, I believe fans tend to blame refs for their team just not being good. I've never watched a team in my life that I thought was good just because they get referee assistance like some people believe.

I don't expect perfection but there are some crews that are pretty bad compared to others.  Consistency would also be nice.

What frustrates me the most is watching "so called" experts who are really fans on tv getting paid to analyze the game of football but instead they give poor takes bc they are constantly pumping up their favorite teams and giving poor takes on teams that they dont like. It takes away from the enjoyment of watching sports shows. The only true enjoyment I get is just getting in laughs from hearing ridiculous takes then having to hear them explain themselves. Also I get good laughs from people like Stephen A and Shannon Sharpe when they say or do something thats funny. 

Draft night.

When it's your team current pick and they go to a commercial... when they get back they don't mention anything about the player picked. Then they have a recap of players taken and bypass your teams pick.  No clips, no breakdown. Nope just Kiper's favorite pie!!

When they get later in the draft and start talking everything but the draft.  His sister, his mother, his childhood!!!  The only idiots watching the late rounds are draft junkies, like myself!!!!!

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Draft night.

When it's your team current pick and they go to a commercial... when they get back they don't mention anything about the player picked. Then they have a recap of players taken and bypass your teams pick.  No clips, no breakdown. Nope just Kiper's favorite pie!!

When they get later in the draft and start talking everything but the draft.  His sister, his mother, his childhood!!!  The only idiots watching the late rounds are draft junkies, like myself!!!!!

Nothing brings out toxic fans like draft night.

3 hours ago, m haynes said:

Draft night.

Lol so true. A lot of these players are like 20, have never been in the limelight before, and ESPN is talking about their rough childhood or their family member who has cancer or something, to the entire nation. Like wtf.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

Lol so true. A lot of these players are like 20, have never been in the limelight before, and ESPN is talking about their rough childhood or their family member who has cancer or something, to the entire nation. Like wtf.

That draft in 2020 was just awful for this. I don't know what made then switch gears so much, but they went waaaaaaaay overboard

• Like 1

Toxic fans.  And this is extended to the hot take reporting that is way too prevalent on all media now.  I don't know who started it, but it is absurd.  I remember The Sports Reporters that would be on ESPN on Sunday mornings.  I liked seeing a debate show, it was something different, and it was once a week.  I think I want to blame shows like PTI or Around the Horn.  That was a fun little hour, but then it snuck into Sports Center.  Then you had Steven A and Skip blathering on about something all the time until now where there is more of that than actual game highlights.  Skip reminds me of Bobby Heenan talking about Hulk Hogan, when Aaron Rodgers is brought up.  Why is this on tv all the time?

There are also fans that have an angle, and everything else be damned, this must be brought into everything.  You can't make a comparison thread of Joe Namath vs Len Dawson on here with out Tom Brady somehow interjected.  Try making a level criticism of an Aaron Rodgers play on the Packers board.  There is a faction that will jump all over it in agreement, and a sign of his precipitous decline; and a faction that will throw the entire organization, the hotel staff from the night before, someone who dared to cheer while the team was on offense, and his neighbor's dog completely under the bus to make an excuse.  

Officiating is also an issue, but not as bad as some people like to claim.  And some of that is probably sour grapes, because there is no way that my team could lose, the refs must be out to get me, see: toxic fans.  The biggest issue with the officiating is consistency.  And it really only becomes a problem if it is one sided.  Is there a lot of PI and holding that doesn't get called?  Probably.  Does it sometimes happen at an inopportune time? Yes.  But if you take just a random game that you have no personal interest in, you will find out that most of the time, it evens out over the course of the game.  Is it frustrating when you really need a stop and your DL probably got held? Yes.  But were you complaining 3 drives prior when your OL probably did the same thing?

I will say though that there is some ineptness that needs to be addressed.  I still am confused by the end of the Titans-Steelers game.  The refs give Tennessee a very generous spot, late in the game on 4th down.  They clearly gave the Titans an extra yard, at least.  Then they take a measurement.  Where they placed the ball (bad spot) was right at the first down marker, it should have been first and goal with 30ish seconds left.  However, the refs call it short and a turnover on downs, Steelers ball.  The outcome was correct.  But they screwed up twice to get there.