Trevor Benched, Brock to QB Broncos

AnAngryAmerican

Brock is just a placeholder.

Sadly, Lynch isn't even close to the answer for 2017.   Not at all ready.

But, if we lose the next 2 and are 3-6, we're done.  And Elway then likely gives an extended audition to Lynch sometime as early as week 11.

@AKRNA I agree with your assessment that he's not ready.  But Elway's probably then going to say by Week 11 "let's see if he shows progress in-game" - realizing of course, you can definitely worsen a kid's progress and damage him by doing so.  It's just that we probably won't have the luxury of waiting to see if Lynch is ready by TC next year - we probably have to commit to a FA QB or start over again in the draft if Lynch is seen as a washout.  

It's completely unfair, but it's what playing on a win-now (supposedly) team with a D built to win does - I share your concerns about damaging Lynch further, but if Siemian can't do it, Oz isn't the answer beyond a 1-2 week placeholder.  

I'd love to say we'll pull the upset in PHI, but the most likely answer is our O shows no further progress.  Would be happy to be wrong here.

So we all agree Trevor or Brock aren't the answer.

If/when Lynch sucks when he inevitably gets in (I think the odds are very high on that) and shows he isn't the answer does Kelly get a shot?

Maybe I'm overly optimistic on the guy, but off the field stuff doesn't affect what his abilities are.  If he's healthy I'd rather see what he can do then a combination of Os/Lynch/Siemian for the remaining games

When the season really starts to go bad...maybe try all the QBs out...let Chad Kelly start a few?  Sign Kaep to see if he is a viable solution.  If none of them workout, workout a strategy to sign Alex Smith, or Drew Brees, or trade for Aaron Rodgers if he doesn't get a new deal in GB.  if that isn't a solution then roll the dice and package some players and draft picks for the top QB in the draft.  IF that doesn't work...spend all your cap space and draft picks on building THE best defense in NFL history. 

4 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

When the season really starts to go bad...maybe try all the QBs out...let Chad Kelly start a few?  Sign Kaep to see if he is a viable solution.  If none of them workout, workout a strategy to sign Alex Smith, or Drew Brees, or trade for Aaron Rodgers if he doesn't get a new deal in GB.  if that isn't a solution then roll the dice and package some players and draft picks for the top QB in the draft.  IF that doesn't work...spend all your cap space and draft picks on building THE best defense in NFL history. 

Apparently Kelly practiced today and he didn't look all that healthy. Vance pretty much said that he's going on IR for the rest of the year.

Honestly at this point Kaep would easily be the best option but the risk to revenue stream just isn't worth it. Not to mention he would come in with no knowledge of the playbook and likely really struggle at first, maybe struggle the whole time even, and that would be disastrous to the franchise. Its the sad think about the whole Colin controversy, its been dragged out so long that if he is signed, and does play, and doesn't do well, then it could really destroy a fan base (Albeit I would argue unjustifiably).

Back to the real issue because Kaep isn't an option in reality; I just don't care anymore. Brock doesn't excite me. Trevor let me down. Lynch seems like a tard and Kelly is out for the year. I will still watch but have very low expectations for this team in the 'W' column.

8 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Honestly at this point Kaep would easily be the best option but the risk to revenue stream just isn't worth it. Not to mention he would come in with no knowledge of the playbook and likely really struggle at first, maybe struggle the whole time even, and that would be disastrous to the franchise. Its the sad think about the whole Colin controversy, its been dragged out so long that if he is signed, and does play, and doesn't do well, then it could really destroy a fan base (Albeit I would argue unjustifiably).

Back to the real issue because Kaep isn't an option in reality; I just don't care anymore. Brock doesn't excite me. Trevor let me down. Lynch seems like a tard and Kelly is out for the year. I will still watch but have very low expectations for this team in the 'W' column.

I think Kaepernick is by far the worst option.

He isn't the long-term answer, he doesn't put us over the top, he'll bring a media circus with him, he's not on the roster right now so we'd have to add him to our payroll, he doesn't know the playbook, his skill set isn't particularly compatible with McCoy, and it doesn't allow us to get the Paxton Lynch closure that we need. 

As it stands now, w/ hindsight of Lynch being actually trash and Siemian not being able to handle pressure, team probably would have been a lot closer to a playoff contender had they signed Kaep in TC or the preseason. Obviously he's been blackballed so it wasn't on the table and was not about his play, but he would have been a good fit for this team. Didn't turn the ball over - could make plays with his legs. But yeah they had to give Lynch a shot. And obviously if the team wanted to get the best QB they could on the field they would sign him right now. Also, the media circus stuff is funny. 

All in all it's probably going to be a not-so-fun end to the season.  Realistically I hope Lynch gets his shot, like others have said he's a sunk cost but we need to get closure as @bMiller031 said.

I don't see Denver being high enough to get a QB I'd rather see Elway go BPA.

I honestly think unless a veteran QB ala Smith or Brees comes here (is it even possible with the cap?) the peak of this defense has been wasted by the inept offense.  It's time to start reloading and a down year may allow us to add some more premier talent.  The issue has been and will be finding a QBOTF.

5 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Nah, we shouldn't. Let's wait until next year. 

Trevors shell shocked after a year and a half of beatings. Brock will probably end up the same.

Let's not take a chance at destroying Lynch until McCoy and company find a way to protect a QB.

I'll bet our QB's are terrified when McCoy calls for multiple WR's and an empty backfield.

Why coddle him? If he's a true player, he will show out. Luck, Wilson... these guys haven't had quality protection but still bring their game and give their teams a chance to win. 

It's time to stop handling Lynch with kid gloves and see if he can play or not. Why wait? See what you have in him so you know if you need to acquire a QB in the offseason. 

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Why coddle him? If he's a true player, he will show out. Luck, Wilson... these guys haven't had quality protection but still bring their game and give their teams a chance to win. 

It's time to stop handling Lynch with kid gloves and see if he can play or not. Why wait? See what you have in him so you know if you need to acquire a QB in the offseason. 

Holy crap it's Palooka. And holy crap I agree with him!

Either Lynch sinks or swims. It obviously doesn't look too great thus far. I don't think we should belabor the point with him. If he sucks, at least we'll know it and then we can move on accordingly rather than hamstring ourselves unnecessarily when we could have a golden opportunity for a high pick.

1 minute ago, broncos67 said:

Holy crap it's Palooka. And holy crap I agree with him!

Either Lynch sinks or swims. It obviously doesn't look too great thus far. I don't think we should belabor the point with him. If he sucks, at least we'll know it and then we can move on accordingly rather than hamstring ourselves unnecessarily when we could have a golden opportunity for a high pick.

Agreed.  Its a win-win honestly.   Either he performs well enough to get a shot next year with a has to be improved OL, or he sucks and it helps Elway channel his inner Sam Hinkie

I have no faith in Brock or Lynch this year to win games. I'm pretty close to being done with this season. I mean I'll still watch, but the expectations for making it to the playoffs and potentially contending are gone. I think it's really in our best long term interests if we do this:

t-90s_0032_copy_0.jpg

Gotta get a franchise QB in here someway, somehow.

It looks like we are done for the season - let Lynch in for six games to prove that he doesn't have the brain to be an NFL QB. We'll have some decent draft picks - hopefully Elway will use them on a RT and an OG - and let's see if Kelly can be anything like his uncle.

The shame in all of this is that we have wasted another year of an elite defence - and it will make it increasingly difficult to keep the defence together.

The QB change had to happen.  There's just no way Denver can have Siemian on the field looking the way he has the last 3 games.

I don't think Osweiler is the answer, but it wouldn't surprise me if his first start or two we see the offense look better than it has the last 3 games.  Not because Osweiler is better, but because defenses are going to make some adjustments and have to figure him out, which gives Denver a small window.

Archived