How are those Rookies Doing? Mid-Season Edition

Chiefer

On 11/17/2017 at 9:37 PM, GamedayGuru said:

https://football.realgm.com/wiretap/39581/Three-Saints-In-Top-5-Of-Mel-Kipers-Rookie-Big-Board

1. Marcus Lattimore, CB, Saints (9)
2. Kareem Hunt, RB, Chiefs (82)
3. Alvin Kamara, RB, Saints (88)
4. Tre'Davious White, CB, Bills (32)
5. Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Saints (29)
6. Carl Lawson, DE, Bengals (52)
7. T.J. Watt, OLB, Steelers (48)
8. Christian McCaffrey, RB, Panthers (6)
9. Ju Ju Smith-Schuster, WR, Steelers (39)
10. Jamal Adams, S, Jets (3)
11. Myles Garrett, DE, Browns (1)
12. Reuben Foster, LB, 49ers (8)
13. Leonard Fournette, RB, Jaguars (7)
14. Kendell Beckwith, LB, Buccaneers (77)
15. Evan Engram, TE, Giants (21)

Alvin Kamara would go ahead of Kareem Hunt if there was a redraft.

Easily the best rookie on offense this year.

Dawaune Smoot showed up again today. Starting to gain more and more reps as weeks go on. Showing out in the run game and has gotten a few solid rushes off the edge that i've noticed in each of the past couple games.

Going to be tough sledding for reps as I said with Yannick/Campbell/Fowler getting large reps each game of course, but so far so good.

On 11/17/2017 at 11:24 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

Im a huge Penn State and Barkley fan, and even I think this is laughable.   

People laughed at me in April as well when I said Alvin Kamara could be the next Marshall Faulk.

Saquon Barkley is better at playing his position (RB) than any player I've ever seen.

His individual brilliance is that outstanding.

On 11/18/2017 at 8:05 PM, jrry32 said:

Says the man who hasn't seen Cooper Kupp play. I feel amazing about our rookie class, as do the other Rams fans. But we're sitting back and enjoying everything that's going well right now instead of trying to force all our talented young players down people's throats. xD

Kamara is an afterthought on a great offense. Hunt and Fournette are having more impressive years imo. Kamara's case for being top 5 really isn't that strong unless you start removing injured players.

Thank you.

What do you have against Alvin Kamara?

He's only on pace to set the NFL record for Rushing YPC as well gain over 1,400 yards from scrimmage.

He should be the current favorite for Offensive Rookie of the Year given his production and importance to a team that is 8-2.  If you watched the Saints game today, you would see that for most of the 4th quarter when the game was on the line it was Alvin that was getting most of the snaps not Mark Ingram.  Also the Redskins were so afraid of Alvin when it came to his receiving out of the backfield that they would shift coverage his way that would then open things up for Drew Brees down the field.

Alvin Kamara's impact on the Saints cannot be understated.  He's been arguably their 2nd most valuable player on offense after Drew Brees.

On 11/18/2017 at 8:51 PM, jrry32 said:

Yea, I don't agree. He's not the guy you key in on when you play the Saints.

As for Kupp, it's a good idea to let that be. You don't want to expose your lack of knowledge there. xD

Go and watch the Saints highlights today.  Look for the play near the goaline when Drew Brees hits the TE for a TD.  You'll see Alvin going to the flat (like he always does) and 2 Redskins defenders jump out on him because they are afraid of Brees finding him in the flat and him running it in (because that's what he was doing all day as an awesome receiver out of the backfield).  This left the TE wide open on the in route giving Brees an easy TD.

Alvin Kamara is absolutely someone opposing defenses are keying on.  They are absolutely frightened of his ability to catch out of the backfield and turn a short pass into a long gain.

I would suggest watching the Saints play more.  It might lead you to appreciate Alvin Kamara and his importance to their success a little more.

6 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Another week and Alvin Kamara continues to show he's a top 5 rookie, and an integral part of the Saints offense. 117 yards of offense and a huge touchdown (and 2 pt conversion) to tie the game and send it to OT.

After today he's on pace for 1,451 yards rushing/receiving, and 11 touchdowns.

He's exceeding even my expectations for him as a rookie.  And I'm the guy who compared him to Marshall Faulk before the draft.

His improvement from his sophomore year at Tennessee to now has been remarkable.  I've been watching him since 2015 and he gets better each and every year.

I'll be curious to see how his career develops moving forward.  He's definitely going to be one of the stars of the NFL for the next 5-6 years.

4 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Hunt deserves it for sure, but if Kamara keeps going 100 and 1 like we've said, and Hunt doesn't keep up, things might look different later.

Kareem Hunt and the Chiefs has been slowing down the last 6 weeks while Alvin Kamara and the Saints have been racing forward.  If these trends continue, then Kamara will win ROY.

Remember, humans vote on these awards.  If Alvin Kamara keeps making clutch plays as the Saints keep winning while the Chiefs are losing and Kareem Hunt isn't finding the end zone, then he will win ROY.  People will forget Hunt and the Chiefs lit it up to start the season.  People will remember how the season ends.

2 minutes ago, VanS said:

Kareem Hunt and the Chiefs has been slowing down the last 6 weeks while Alvin Kamara and the Saints have been racing forward.  If these trends continue, then Kamara will win ROY.

Remember, humans vote on these awards.  If Alvin Kamara keeps making clutch plays as the Saints keep winning while the Chiefs are losing and Kareem Hunt isn't finding the end zone, then he will win ROY.  People will forget Hunt and the Chiefs lit it up to start the season.  People will remember how the season ends.

If Kamara got the same touches as Hunt, yes I think he wins the award no question, problem is, Ingram is looking like the best RB in the league right now. 

Just now, VanS said:

Yea, this is what I've said.  Fournette has a chance too though.  There's still a lot of games left to play.  To claim Kamara has no chance is silly, and to claim he definitely deserves it is silly.  

Archived