How are those Rookies Doing? Mid-Season Edition

Chiefer

33 minutes ago, GamedayGuru said:

IDK if I would go that far, but I wouldn't be surprised at all. I'll wait until the end of the season to decide. 

Kamara is on pace to have over 1,450 yards from scrimmage this year, 11 total TDs, and set an NFL record for YPC.

I know Hunt had an amazing first 3 games to start his career.  And first impressions matter.  But its obvious teams have figured out the Chiefs and whatever lil magic they had going at the start of the season.  The Saints and Kamara on the other hand are getting better each week.  By the end of the season it won't even be a debate.  Alvin Kamara is the best offensive rookie this year.

Just now, VanS said:

He's projected to have over 1,450 yards from scrimmage this year, 11 TDs, and set an NFL record for YPC.

I know Hunt had an amazing first 3 games to start his career.  And first impressions matter.  But its obvious teams have figured out the Chiefs and whatever lil magic they had going at the start of the season.  The Saints and Kamara on the other hand are getting better each week.  By the end of the season it won't even be a debate.  Alvin Kamara is the best offensive rookie this year.

Like I said i wanna wait to crown him, but if things stay on pace it wouldnt surprise me in the least if kamara wins it. 

21 minutes ago, VanS said:

He's exceeding even my expectations for him as a rookie.  And I'm the guy who compared him to Marshall Faulk before the draft.

His improvement from his sophomore year at Tennessee to now has been remarkable.  I've been watching him since 2015 and he gets better each and every year.

I'll be curious to see how his career develops moving forward.  He's definitely going to be one of the stars of the NFL for the next 5-6 years.

I'm definitely excited about his future as he has really emerged as a weapon for the Saints over the course of this season. I'm by no means ready to call him the next Faulk, but he certainly has the ability to do some great things in this league.

39 minutes ago, VanS said:

Kamara is on pace to have over 1,450 yards from scrimmage this year, 11 total TDs, and set an NFL record for YPC.

Yea, you need to check your facts. Michael Vick and Beattie Feathers both averaged 8.4 yards per carry during 1000+ yard rushing seasons.

3 hours ago, VanS said:

People laughed at me in April as well when I said Alvin Kamara could be the next Marshall Faulk.

Link?    

Even if you did, though...bringing up things you were right about in the past doesnt prove you are right about this.

Saquon Barkley is better at playing his position (RB) than any player I've ever seen.

He is quite good, obviously.

Best RB youve ever seen?  I have to question how much football youve actually watched to say this.

His individual brilliance is that outstanding.

He is an elite prospect, Ill give you that.

I think youre still overrating him though.

Doesnt matter though.  Only time will tell.

It needs to be pointed out, I think, that Hunt is playing just as well now as he did early in the season. The amount of broken tackles he gets is insane. Had like 6 on a single play today, but it got called back for a hold. Hunt is playing as well as he ever did, the offense around him is just collapsing.

4 hours ago, VanS said:

He's only on pace to set the NFL record for Rushing YPC

This is...incorrect. Depending on the standards you're going by, Kamara is either nowhere close to the record for YPC, or he isn't going to reach the standard for carries. 6.4 YPC is often regarded as the record (it was when Charles was near or at that mark a few years back), but I want to say that mark was for more than 10 carries per game, or something in that area. Kamara is not on pace to hit that standard (he's on track for 115 carries on the season.) That 6.4 YPC was hit by Charles in 2010, Jim Brown in 1963, and Mercury Morris in 1973. Each had more than 10 carries per game in those seasons, with Charles and Brown both over 225 carries. Now obviously, you can lower the carry threshold, and some places that track that kind of record do (pro football reference, for instance, has it set at 6.75 carries per game in a season.) But then you end up with 29 players with a higher single season YPA than what Kamara is on track for right now. It lets in old school guys like Lenny Moore and Beattie Feathers, QBs like Russell Wilson and Michael Vick, and a handful of others, all with much higher YPAs than 6.4.

And beyond this, even if you wanted to ignore all of the above, his exact YPA is actually 6.375, lower than Charles, Brown, and Morris anyway.

13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Yea, you need to check your facts. Michael Vick and Beattie Feathers both averaged 8.4 yards per carry during 1000+ yard rushing seasons.

10 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

This is...incorrect. Depending on the standards you're going by, Kamara is either nowhere close to the record for YPC, or he isn't going to reach the standard for carries. 6.4 YPC is often regarded as the record (it was when Charles was near or at that mark a few years back), but I want to say that mark was for more than 10 carries per game, or something in that area. Kamara is not on pace to hit that standard (he's on track for 115 carries on the season.) That 6.4 YPC was hit by Charles in 2010, Jim Brown in 1963, and Mercury Morris in 1973. Each had more than 10 carries per game in those seasons, with Charles and Brown both over 225 carries. Now obviously, you can lower the carry threshold, and some places that track that kind of record do (pro football reference, for instance, has it set at 6.75 carries per game in a season.) But then you end up with 29 players with a higher single season YPA than what Kamara is on track for right now. It lets in old school guys like Lenny Moore and Beattie Feathers, QBs like Russell Wilson and Michael Vick, and a handful of others, all with much higher YPAs than 6.4.

And beyond this, even if you wanted to ignore all of the above, his exact YPA is actually 6.375, lower than Charles, Brown, and Morris anyway.

Thank you guys for correcting me. 

I guess this is why you shouldn't trust what you see on twitter.  I thought I saw someone made a post last week on Twitter saying Kamara was on pace to set a record for YPC.

Guess not.

6.4 YPC is still outstanding. B|

On 11/18/2017 at 7:11 PM, EliteTexan80 said:

D'onta Freeman - Looked good in preseason, had a strong performance against the Titans this year, but really hasn't been used. He remains as a clear secondary option behind Lamar Miller.

Had his best game as a pro yesterday, but tore his Achilles on his last TD run. Such a bad way to end a breakout performance.

Treston Decoud - In a sieve of a secondary, he can't get onto the field on any way. The team has brought in street FAs who have passed him up, so he might be a miss of a pick.

Actually got in the game following a Kevin Johnson injury, and has a nice pass breakup on a 3rd down play. If we're judging guys on their snap-to-good play ratio, Decoud is on his way to a fine career.

Zach Cunningham - His coverage skills were his calling card, but he looks a bit lost in coverage at time. He's improving and is pretty stout against the run as well. He has earned the starting ILB spot that Brian Cushing vacated after his suspension.

Had a great stop on Adrian Peterson on a 4th down attempt. Largely invisible outside of that, but it's baby steps for Cunningham for now.

12 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

It needs to be pointed out, I think, that Hunt is playing just as well now as he did early in the season. The amount of broken tackles he gets is insane. Had like 6 on a single play today, but it got called back for a hold. Hunt is playing as well as he ever did, the offense around him is just collapsing.

I feel like he's going down easier.

15 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I feel like he's going down easier.

Nah. He just has had more runs where not going down isn't really possible. Too many where he's swallowed up on interior runs. Can't break through when one defender is in the hole and you have linemen of one team or another surrounding you. And still, he's on pace for the most broken tackles PFF has ever recorded.

Archived