Week 17: VIKINGS (7-8) at Packers (12-3)

swede700

At the end of the day, this game against GB shouldn’t matter if they just won the games they were supposed to win. Losing to a backup QB at home, losing to the winless Lions, scoring 7 points at home to Cleveland, these are the reasons why we are in this hole not because some players tested positive for covid despite not actually being sick. I think the NFL needs to revisit its Covid policies next year but that is beside the point. 

I can’t even blame the offense this year. The defense is a major hindrance and not one that is playoff caliber. That’s what needs to be fixed next year. Cousins was great most of the year, just seems the blame is misplaced (towards Cook and Thielen for that matter too). At the end of the day, do these players even want to play for Zimmer? That’s what Wilf and Spielman need to figure out. 

We shouldn’t be talking playoffs after some of the stupid losses we’ve had this year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

Zimmer said there was no consideration for starting Mond this weekend. 

Wonder how bad Mond truly is. Not surprising that Zimmer wouldn’t give consideration to starting a boom or bust type in Mond. Mannion won’t embarrass himself. I think the strategy will be to run the ball and hope the defense will be stout which means we will be down multiple scores by the middle of the second quarter once reality settles in that this defense is abysmal and Mannion has no upside to overcome it. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

At the end of the day, this game against GB shouldn’t matter if they just won the games they were supposed to win. Losing to a backup QB at home, losing to the winless Lions, scoring 7 points at home to Cleveland, these are the reasons why we are in this hole

And yet, if they had won those games, this news would be even worse as the team would be heading into a game looking to win the division. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Wonder how bad Mond truly is.

With Zimmer as the head coach, we’ll never know. His absolute fear of playing the “unknown” rookie is just another failure of his coaching. 

I’ve always found Mike Zimmer’s aversion to rookies hysterical because Rick Spielman puts 10-15 rookies on the roster every year. Probably just another example of poor management of this team. 

• Like 5

I don’t even want to see Mond “so we can see what we’ve got” because a raw rookie making his first start on two days notice isn’t going to show you anything about his future. He just offers the team the best chance of surprising and confounding to he other team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Wonder how bad Mond truly is. Not surprising that Zimmer wouldn’t give consideration to starting a boom or bust type in Mond. Mannion won’t embarrass himself. I think the strategy will be to run the ball and hope the defense will be stout which means we will be down multiple scores by the middle of the second quarter once reality settles in that this defense is abysmal and Mannion has no upside to overcome it. 

How many 3 & outs will Mannion produce? Not as much as one might think when GB run’s Dillion the whole 2nd half after going to 21-0

This is the perfect game to pretty much never punt, and go for it on fourth down instead of kicking field goals. Green Bay is a superior team, and the Vikings will need to score a lot. Instead, they'll get all conservative, and get way outscored. The game theory here is clear, and the Vikings will do the opposite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

He shouldn't have been drafted where he was. Waste of draft capital. We saw how bad he was in camp. Not saying he hasn't improved since then, but if he isn't starting I'd venture to guess their are strong reasons why.

• Like 1

Just now, twslhs20 said:

He shouldn't have been drafted where he was. Waste of draft capital. We saw how bad he was in camp. Not saying he hasn't improved since then, but if he isn't starting I'd venture to guess their are strong reasons why.

People on this board post all the time they should take a flyer on QB every year, just in case. Other people say they pretty much shouldn't. I'm not sure who is right, but I err on the try it side. I didn't like the pick, but I understood the pick. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

but if he isn't starting I'd venture to guess their are strong reasons why.

I might be able to buy this if he was the only rookie that was inactive each week. 

But unless you think that we had a historically bad draft class and that 4 top 100 picks are so bad that they aren’t worth activating on game day, this decision to keep Mond, Davis, Surratt, and Jones off of the field is intentional from the coaching staff. And one that fits their trend. 

In fact, if you go look at all of the players drafted in the 3rd round this year, only three players have not seen snaps on their respective offensive or defensive side of the ball. Kellen Mond, Chazz Surratt, and Wyatt Davis. That’s just indefensible coaching decisions. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

People on this board post all the time they should take a flyer on QB every year, just in case. Other people say they pretty much shouldn't. I'm not sure who is right, but I err on the try it side. I didn't like the pick, but I understood the pick. 

Mond-ay Morning QBs, all of 'em.

When you think about it, some folks behavior isn't perplexing at all.

Edited by Purplexing
  • Like 1