BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

You'd have to ignore the if-then aspect of the rule to read it that way.

Maybe you could sit in on a reading comp class.

There is no if-then regarding the team's possession of its original pick. As written, it solely concerns itself with the possibility a team has a higher pick in a round, regardless of whether they possess their original pick or not.  Furthermore, your interpretation seems to contradict the first listed exception, which establishes that a team is entitled to higher-round draft pick compensation if a team does not possess a pick in the tendered round at all. It logically follows from this that a tendering team would be entitled to the highest draft pick compensation available regardless of whether a team possesses its original pick in the round or not.

I would be surprised that they let you practice law, but then I remember you're from Tennessee and it all makes sense.

(I kid Rags, I just want to make sure the rule is as clear as possible so we don't have anyone confused or arguing about it in the future)

@Scoundrel @Pickle Rick @Ragnarok @Jlash @Blue @MWil23 @MD4L @Scalamania @RTTRUTH @Whicker @PR @RuskieTitan @rackcs @EaglesPeteC @bcb1213 @RedGold @SirA1

So u just made thus suggestion to someone.

Between the Draft and FA (the downtime there) I think it would be a good idea for a few people to read through all of the rules and submit a list of any necessary "clean up" in wording to make rules more clear.

I will formally be the first to volunteer 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

@Scoundrel @Pickle Rick @Ragnarok @Jlash @Blue @MWil23 @MD4L @Scalamania @RTTRUTH @Whicker @PR @RuskieTitan @rackcs @EaglesPeteC @bcb1213 @RedGold @SirA1

Between the Draft and FA (the downtime there) I think it would be a good idea for a few people to read through all of the rules and submit a list of any necessary "clean up" in wording to make rules more clear.

You say this like I don't read through the rules repeatedly throughout the season because I don't trust my memory.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

I will formally be the first to not volunteer 

• Like 2

Just now, Blue said:

There is no if-then regarding the team's possession of its original pick. As written, it solely concerns itself with the possibility a team has a higher pick in a round, regardless of whether they possess their original pick or not.  Furthermore, your interpretation seems to contradict the first listed exception, which establishes that a team is entitled to higher-round draft pick compensation if a team does not possess a pick in the tendered round at all. It logically follows from this that a tendering team would be entitled to the highest draft pick compensation available regardless of whether a team possesses its original pick in the round or not.

I would be surprised that they let you practice law, but then I remember you're from Tennessee and it all makes sense.

(I kid Rags, I just want to make sure the rule is as clear as possible so we don't have anyone confused or arguing about it in the future)

Ok, joking on you aside(for a moment), I agree that we need the rule rewritten.  And I do see how it is ambiguous and can be intepreted in a couple ways.  I do legitimately think my interpretation would be the more common one.

I was thinking that I would sit down and rewrite some of these after the draft.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Ok, joking on you aside(for a moment), I agree that we need the rule rewritten.  And I do see how it is ambiguous and can be intepreted in a couple ways.  I do legitimately think my interpretation would be the more common one.

I was thinking that I would sit down and rewrite some of these after the draft.

You're the law writer, so how about we work together on this. I can read through the rules, bounce my interpretation off of you and then we can address any possible clean ups needed. You can rewrite what needs addressed 

2 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

If my mans gotta pull out “I’m a lawyer” when discussing rules for a fake football league, maybe there are too many rules 🤷

Imagine if we had passed a certain resolution in years past where we kept track of yearly cap hits instead of just averaging it all out

18 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

You're the law writer, so how about we work together on this. I can read through the rules, bounce my interpretation off of you and then we can address any possible clean ups needed. You can rewrite what needs addressed 

Let me read them over and clean up some glaring issues that I can post for approval.  

Then ill probably post up the rules by section to see if anyone finds any other ambiguities to address.

• Like 1

A lawyer, a teacher, and a counselor are walking together during the BDL offseason when they find an antique oil lamp. They rub it and a Genie comes out in a puff of smoke. The Genie says "Normally I only grant three wishes, so this time I'll give each of you just one."

"Me first! Me first!" shouts the teacher. "I want to become a millionaire and retire in Cancun with my own speedboat and not a care in the world." 

Poof! He's gone.

"Me next!" shouts the counselor. "I want to go to Anchorage where I can live happily with my family in peace."

Poof! He's gone.

"You're next," the Genie says to the lawyer.

"I want those two back here so we can work on this rulebook!"

Edited by Whicker
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Whicker said:

A lawyer, a teacher, and a counselor are walking together during the BDL offseason when they find an antique oil lamp. They rub it and a Genie comes out in a puff of smoke. The Genie says "Normally I only grant three wishes, so this time I'll give each of you just one."

"Me first! Me first!" shouts the teacher. "I want to become a millionaire and retire in Cancun with my own speedboat and not a care in the world." 

Poof! He's gone.

"Me next!" shouts the counselor. "I want to go to Anchorage where I can live happily with my family in peace."

Poof! He's gone.

"You're next," the Genie says to the lawyer.

"I want those back here so we can work on this rulebook!"

Lmao screw you Rags!