Is Cameron Jordan a HOFer?

sammymvpknight

On 1/5/2022 at 9:24 PM, FrantikRam said:

I'd say yes, just for him guest starring on an episode of The League with Jordan Cameron

I miss the early years of that show. I also spent way too much time trying to find a clip of that cameo and  it just isn't out there. What a shame.

On 1/3/2022 at 4:46 PM, Forge said:

Holy crap, I vaguely recall steve jordan in the early 90s. 

I never knew Cam Jordan came from a football family. Learn something new every day. 

Man if Cameron Jordan had taken up the family position of TE, the Cameron Jordan/Jordan Cameron episode of the league would have been even funnier.

To the topic.

Right now? no. He's not a Hall of Famer. That being said, he has the possibility of getting there with 2-3 more 8+ sack seasons. 125 is the magic # I feel for his sacks. He doesn't create enough turnovers outside of that to be boosted before he gets there. He's great against the run though and definitely belongs in HOF conversation and finalist level once he gets to that 125 sack level. (And that's not me being a hater because he's a Saints player. It's me being honest about his abilities)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Breesus mode said:

His career isn't over yet

The majority of the responses in here are the reason I stated I hope he doesn't make it. The general sentiment is "he's good, but not quite good enough for the HOF". That's not an insult, that's still a damn good player. But, I don't like seeing those guys get in. I may have been harsh with my wording lol, but yeah.. the HOF should be extremely selective IMO (and they generally are).

Edge guys are heavily reliant on sack numbers.

• On one hand 106 sacks in 175 games sounds great.
  • Then you see that Elvis Dumervil had 105.5 in 162 games.

Several of his contemporaries are outplaying him

• JJ Watt has 102 sacks in 135 games
  • Chandler Jones has 106.5 in 138 games
  • Von Miller has 114.5 in 149 games.
  • Even Robert Quinn has 100.5 in 155 games.

I think its safe to say that Jordan is trending towards a possible spot in the HoF but he probably needs 35-45 more sacks.

His 5.5 playoff sacks does not crack the top 60 and he has not won a ring or even played in a Super Bowl so he does not get a boost there.

• Like 1

Depends how he ends his career.

23 hours ago, Tk3 said:

put it this way.. these are the DL who were drafted in his immediate era.. let's call that 2010-2012. I'll label these as his "contemporaries"

• JJ Watt (2011) - 5 AP - 102 Sacks
  • Ndamukong Suh (2010) - 3 AP - 70.5 Sacks
  • Cameron Heyward (2011) - 2 AP - 67 Sacks
  • Chandler Jones (2012) - 2 AP - 106.5 Sacks
  • Fletcher Cox (2012) - 1 AP - 58 Sacks
  • Cameron Jordan (2011) - 1 AP - 106 Sacks
  • Geno Atkins (2010) - 2 AP - 75.5 Sacks
  • Gerald McCoy (2010) - 1 AP - 59.5 Sacks
  • Robert Quinn (2011) - 1 AP - 100.5 Sacks
  • Jason Pierre-Paul (2010) - 1 AP - 91.5 Sacks
  • Carlos Dunlap (2010)
  • Everson Griffin (2010)
  • Ryan Kerrigan (2011)

This is how I order them as far as HoF worthiness. Maybe a little bit of wiggle room on a couple of them.. but the point is, from this VERY tight window of draftees, how many can reasonably make the HoF, and which spot do you have Cameron Jordan on the list?

Maybe I have him too low, idk, but I just have trouble seeing him selected over several of the others. By the time some of the other guys get selected ahead of him and he starts to rise on the ballots, then the big wave of guys drafted in 16-17 like Donald, Chris Jones, maybe Buckner, TJ Watt, Myles Garrett, Bosa's start to retire and enter the mix

Like yeah, he has an All-Pro under his belt (maybe gets a 2nd one somewhere), 100+ sacks, and generally an excellent lineman.. It's not even that "he's not good enough", it's more that "there are too many guys ahead of him" (unless of course, your list of the above is much different than mine)

MAYBE if he ends on a real heater and then retires before his contemporaries, then he can get in before they are eligible.. but idk, its a tough one for me to say "yes" to

I’d go Watt, Suh, Jones, Jordan personally. As it currently stands anyway.

1) Jordan has the 2010s HOF inclusion above Heyward 2) I think the inside/outside versatility, sack numbers, pass deflection numbers all go in his favor as well above some of these other guys. 3) Longevity, many of these guys minus Heyward are starting to “cool down” and thus with additional stats and especially if Jordan can win a ring, one or both of those things would strengthen his case 4) personality/bloodlines… some guys retire and become somewhat forgotten, I could see Chandler Jones being one of those guys whereas Jordan seems like the type that will remain top of mind (like a Steve Smith) where it should only boost his chances of getting in. Especially with him having been within the NFL community for such a long time, voters might be more inclined to vote him over another fringe talent. JMO.

5 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Depends how he ends his career.

I’d go Watt, Suh, Jones, Jordan personally. As it currently stands anyway.

1) Jordan has the 2010s HOF inclusion above Heyward 2) I think the inside/outside versatility, sack numbers, pass deflection numbers all go in his favor as well above some of these other guys. 3) Longevity, many of these guys minus Heyward are starting to “cool down” and thus with additional stats and especially if Jordan can win a ring, one or both of those things would strengthen his case 4) personality/bloodlines… some guys retire and become somewhat forgotten, I could see Chandler Jones being one of those guys whereas Jordan seems like the type that will remain top of mind (like a Steve Smith) where it should only boost his chances of getting in. Especially with him having been within the NFL community for such a long time, voters might be more inclined to vote him over another fringe talent. JMO.

Interesting take.. Because for me, Cameron Jordan is the "forgotten guy" among the group already, in real time.

From name/rememberance, most of the guys on the list will stay top of mind for me far easier than Jordan will. It'll be interesting how the media/sports world approaches that as these guys retire

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

He's certainly right on the cusp. I think he's got a couple more years of high level play in him and he will end up in the HOF at some point down the road even if it takes awhile.

Cam is an iron man type. If there’s a DE that’s going to play at a high level into his late 30s, it’ll be Cam Jordan. It took an asymptomatic COVID by testing for him to miss a game. 

3 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Cam is an iron man type. If there’s a DE that’s going to play at a high level into his late 30s, it’ll be Cam Jordan. It took an asymptomatic COVID by testing for him to miss a game. 

I hope you're right. I certainly could see him playing into his late 30's, but I do expect to see a drop in production from his pro bowl level of play in the next couple years.

38 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I hope you're right. I certainly could see him playing into his late 30's, but I do expect to see a drop in production from his pro bowl level of play in the next couple years.

He already has dropped off to some degree. He use to dominate in spite of double teams. But he’s much a good run defender and fundamentally sound that he could still be productive 5+ years from now. His genetics and conditioning are unbelievable. Only missing one game during his career (only because of COVID testing) is incredible. He has a good chance of outliving everyone else in that class. 

32 years old, declining a helping hand up from his FS just to flex on him with the reverse somersault stand.

This was the 3rd quarter in a game where we'd lost Winston and had Siemian trying to close out. Cam is still clowning around.

I love Williams reaction "Yeah whatever man"

Cam Jordan is a different breed, elite agility for the 290lbs he packs around. I remember him beating Russell Wilson to the edge on a scramble play, that was hilarious.

• Like 1