Divisional Round: 49ers @ Packers: Postgame - Packers lose 13-10, season ends due to worst STs in history!

FAH1223

Anxiety Meter  

84 members have voted

1. 1. You nervous?

3 hours ago, BAM said:

Philadelphia fans bitched about Douglas all the time and he was cut for giving up big plays and inconsistency.

If this statement is correct - it wasnt the fans that cut Douglas for giving up big plays - so I guess the coaching staff and fans were in agreement.

As for King's combine speed - thats fine. Ready, start, GO! time is a world away from speed on the football field which is a non-sequenced combination of reaction speed and straight line burst. King's major flaw (IMO) is his "ability" to fall behind a streaking WR. He's something of a long strider with less than stellar catch up speed and if he takes a "pause" to peek at what the QB is doing....his man can put him in the rear view mirror.

Leader, of course fans didn't cut Douglas, which is kind of the point. Declarations by fans about whose faster, stronger, better... are subjective and often emotionally driven. Douglas got beat out in Philadelphia. He didn't quit. instead Rasul doubled down on working hard to learn from every experience, refine his craft and prepare and compete, while praying for the opportunity to get back onto the field under the lights. I think Douglas was a brilliant in season addition that was based upon Gute and the scouting department's data driven evaluation.

Of course combine data is just one objective data point. But a fan declaring something like "Sullivan is faster than King" is based upon fans watching games on TV with a high degree of emotionally and a serious lack of objectivity. 

As a fan you like Sullivan more than King. Cool, that is a legitimate preference and opinion you're entitled to, but let's not pretend it is anything more than a subjective fan opinion.

The speed of the game at the NFL level make playing cornerback one of the toughest jobs in the NFL. It requires a corner to handle covering elite athletic WR's with the rules and zebras staked against them. It takes a perfect combination of intelligence and athleticism; confidence and humility... every single NFL team is constantly searching and wanting for depth in their defensive backfield- especially at cornerback.

King is an elite athlete, who in my opinion is too inconsistent and undisciplined to warrant being left out on an Island as a starter on the outside right now. His mistakes are too often driven by him thinking his athleticism will cover for his gambles, something he easily did at a college level, but is much harder to pull off in the NFL.

At times King plays like an All-pro, others when he looks like a lost rookie. Injuries have contributed to his inconsistencies. 

King is currently playing well. Alexander's (knock on wood) return will give the team more options and choices as to who plays where and when. King and Sullivan earned their roster spots, both will likely be needed in this quest for a championship. 

BTW the 40 yard time measures straight line speed, the 20-yard shuttle is used by scout's to evaluation quickness and change-of- direction.  Which is why I posted both for comparison.

Edited by BAM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BAM said:

As a fan you like Sullivan more than King. Cool, that is a legitimate preference and opinion you're entitled to, but let's not pretend it is anything more than a subjective fan opinion.

Actually.....I dont think this and never said it. So, not sure who you were responding to.

Edited by Leader

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Actually.....I dont think this and never said it. So, not sure who you were responding.

My initial post was responding to multiple posts in this thread. The last was a response to your quoting me My bad if I mistakenly attributed an opinion to you.

6 hours ago, TheEagle said:

King doesn’t run anywhere close to that now. Too many injuries.

I don't know how much his speed has changed.  But this is a great point, that combine numbers are a snapshot in time.  What a player's speed/quickness/athleticism numbers would be years later, after both injuries and often intentional changes in weight and physique, are often quite different.  

Jason Spriggs is the name that always comes to my mind.  Great athleticism numbers at the combine... when he was healthy and weighed 290-something.  But the 290-something Spriggs wasn't strong enough.  Once he added on 20 pounds to try to improve his strength, that sapped some of his agility and speed/quickness/athleticism.  Add in injuries, and he was not the super-athlete as a pro that he was drafted to be.  It happens. 

I have no idea how King and Sullivan and Rasul would compare now, if you ran the combine tests today.  Point simply being that numbers then may or may not reflect numbers today.  

18 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

King is not elite, but he's good enough to play in the NFL for the GB.  If he could turn his hips and go with elite receivers, he'd be a top 10 corner in the league.  I do think injuries have impacted his full potential some.

I want to see as little of King and Sullivan as possible .. I have bad memories of Tom Brady picking out those two and making them look silly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I want to see as little of King and Sullivan as possible .. I have bad memories of Tom Brady picking out those two and making them look silly.

That is a luxury fans can afford to indulge in. Player cannot. Teams are going to game plan around and good QB are going to target vulnerabilities. As a CB you have to put the experience to use in growth and recognition, and let go of the memory and image of failure as quickly as the next play. If the coaches had better options they would play them. 

Stokes got good coaching around this issue. Teams are going to keep targeting you as a rookie until you can show them the reward/risk benefit is better targeted elsewhere. 

Sasquatch, just for the record, I said that King is an elite athlete (hell based upon size/speed ratio alone), I agree he is NOT an elite CB. Injuries and inconsistency have stunted his development, bring to question whether physical abilities will ever translate to significant NFL production. Whether or not with the Packers, both King and Sullivan will continue to find plenty of employment opportunities in the near future. 

Edited by BAM

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Man...WTF is Keke's problem? Guy missed the entire post-season last year too. 

Most of the time he missed was due to concussions. I’m not going to knock a guy who doesn’t  want his brains scrambled from playing a game. Unfortunately, the cold blooded side says you don’t pick up his second contract either. Hopefully he gets over whatever is currently bothering him for this playoff run. 

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

Most of the time he missed was due to concussions. I’m not going to knock a guy who doesn’t  want his brains scrambled from playing a game. Unfortunately, the cold blooded side says you don’t pick up his second contract either. Hopefully he gets over whatever is currently bothering him for this playoff run. 

It's a mystery with Keke. He was on the Covid list, then was activated and not on the injury list at all, yet was a healthy scratch against Cleveland for a "personal" issue according to LaFleur. Then, since that week, he's been on the injury report with an "illness." So, maybe it's recovery from Covid, but if so, why wasn't he on the injury report for the Cleveland game? Weird either way.