Early Prediction: First Overall Pick?

SmittyBacall

3 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I want Neal. They need to do everything possible this off-season to give Lawrence the best chance to succeed. Cam Robinson is a FA, Andrew Norwell is a FA, Brandon Linder is always banged up, Jawaan Taylor stinks. 

Protect him and get him weapons.

And even though Walker was good this year, he has a lengthy injury history.  

Tho I agree that the Jags need to protect Lawrence I think they would be in the same situation Cincy was last year. Pick the best guy available. That will either be Aidan Hutchinson or Keyvon Thibodeux.

They could pick the LT from Central Michigan at 33 or even one of Trevor Penning or Nicholas Petit-Frere if they fall out of the 1st round.

6 hours ago, BowserBroncos said:

Tho I agree that the Jags need to protect Lawrence I think they would be in the same situation Cincy was last year. Pick the best guy available. That will either be Aidan Hutchinson or Keyvon Thibodeux.

They could pick the LT from Central Michigan at 33 or even one of Trevor Penning or Nicholas Petit-Frere if they fall out of the 1st round.

I think it’s a lock the Jags trade up for a WR from 33 or take a WR at 33.

Just now, KhanYouDigIt said:

Yep but him and Neal as your bookend tackles protecting your franchise QB? Yes please. 

Oh, if Walker can stay healthy, than Lawrence has a much better chance of panning out.

My point was, if you take Neal and Walker stays healthy, its a win.  If you take Neal and Walker can't stay healthy, you can at least manage.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2022 at 2:00 AM, NYRaider said:

Like I understand the thought process of wanting to protect Trevor Lawrence but RT #1 overall is just a terrible value when you can get a solid veteran RT for fairly cheap in free agency or later in the draft. I think Jacksonville should look to move the pick so they can address multiple needs. I'd call Philadelphia and ask them if they'd be interested in swapping #1/#33 for #15/#16/#19. 

I would LOVE that deal.  We need help at a lot of positions, and that would allow us to improve the O-line and get a badly needed #1 wide receiver too.  The Eagles could get a stud pass rusher, which is always nice too.

Edited by Uncle Buck

On 1/12/2022 at 3:16 AM, NYRaider said:

You can find an average starting RT pretty easily in free agency or later in the draft. Premium pass rushers are one of the hardest things to find in the NFL.

Who in FA is there? Armstead and Duane/Trent Brown, and I doubt even teo of them actually get to free agency. Same with Orlando. Robinson the LT is also a FA. 

Tackles don’t grow on trees.

If I were the Jaguars' GM, I'd go with Thibodeaux.  The temptation to go with Neal is strong, because he is probably the safest pick, and I do want to make sure Trevor has good protection.  The thing is, when you are picking first overall, you are doing so with the hope that you are getting a future Hall of Fame player at his position. 

If this does become the case, I believe that a HOF pass rusher combined with a solid right tackle taken in a later round would add more to the team overall than a HOF right tackle and just a solid pass rusher like you are likely to get in a later round.

Trevor is our future.  There is no doubt about that.  I just think we can still protect him while getting that beast of a pass rusher to bookend with Josh Allen on the defensive side of the ball.

It's a risk, but give me Thibs (or Hutchinson if they like him better) at #1.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Hmm. I just don’t see the Jags ignoring the WR position in the first (no WR to take at 1) and second round. 

If they went DE at 1, I still think they would go WR at 33. 

Do you think we could get 1 or 2 free agent wide receivers that could be placeholders at the position until 2023?  Maybe we will be in a better position to get that stud #1 WR with our first round pick in next year's draft.

Edited by Uncle Buck

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Do you think we could get 1 or 2 free agent wide receivers that could be placeholders at the position until 2023?  Maybe we will be in a better position to get that stud #1 WR with our first round pick in next year's draft.

Placeholders until 2023 for what reason? We just saddled him with the worst set of weapons as a rookie and basically wasted his rookie year. No reason not to throw a bunch of resources and young guys to build with him this year, especially at the receiver/TE position.