Bears fire HC Matt Nagy, GM Ryan Pace

CBears019

5 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

You think he's the future of Houston?

Eh... not really. I think he looks good at times, but there's a limited skill set to begin with and he's got an injury history we didn't get to figure out because he didn't start a full season.

I think he's a fringe starter type - maybe a top 15 guy on his best day, but more in the 20s on most days.

I could be wrong though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

Respectfully disagree here.  We have a developing QB already in place.  Our roster needs improvement but is not as bad as our record indicates.  There are holes to fill for sure but so does every other team that is looking for a new head coach today.

I mean, they had 5.8 wins by pythagorean and they were +1 in close wins/losses.  The Bears earned every bit of that 6-11 record.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, they had 5.8 wins by pythagorean and they were +1 in close wins/losses.  The Bears earned every bit of that 6-11 record.

The Bears looked horrible this year (and plenty of others), but they were sorely mismanaged and underprepared just about every week.  That is on the coaching staff.  There are multiple missteps that can be pointed out to support my stance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

Our roster needs improvement but is not as bad as our record indicates. 

It's not even close to that bad. 

8 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm surprised Nagy lasted so long, but then they limped into the playoffs last year which kind of forced their hand.

Nagy shouldn't have even been able to guide them into the playoffs last year. He and Pace should have been already been gone before 2020. 

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

Houston Texans Football GIF by Pac12Network

(Just kidding... sorta).

Davis Mills might be the guy. Don't be surprised if he is. 

6 hours ago, StatKing said:

Bears are in a pretty bad situation. Best players on the team are aging/declining. Offensive line is awful, WRs are awful, and the defense is only getting worse.

Khalil Mack has certainly had two forgettable seasons in a row. Hicks can't stay on the field now, and is likely done. Quinn did just fine though, thank you very much.

But Roquan Smith is, by far, the best player on the Bears roster, and this was only his third season. 

The offensive line was okay, and starting a youth movement. They'll only get better. 

They do need help in the WR group, and a bunch of new faces on defense. Hardly insurmountable stuff, though. 

6 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Congratulations Chi Town! You're free. However you better not steal Harbaugh from Vegas.

You can have him. Hope you hire him tonight. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brownie man said:

Best firing yet.

I think Kellen Moore would be the best fit here 

I have Moore right near the top of wish list, just a smidge below David Shaw.

Moore as HC, bringing along Zimmer as DC would be phenomenal. 

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Eh... not really. I think he looks good at times, but there's a limited skill set to begin with and he's got an injury history we didn't get to figure out because he didn't start a full season.

I think he's a fringe starter type - maybe a top 15 guy on his best day, but more in the 20s on most days.

I could be wrong though.

Between his injuries and his inexperience, Mills should have sat for this entire season. But look at how well he did, in spite of that. Mills could be really good. 

3 hours ago, biggie. said:

And this is why the Bears could only mange two Super Bowl appearances since 1970.

I think Frazier could end up being a good HC, his second time around. I do hope we find that out with a different club than the Bears, though. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

By responding that way you're claiming that good coaching was done in by a bad roster. That simply isn't true. I'm not arguing that the Bears have stellar talent across the board...but it's not awful. And you know that, dude. I know that you do. 

7 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

By responding that way you're claiming that good coaching was done in by a bad roster. That simply isn't true. I'm not arguing that the Bears have stellar talent across the board...but it's not awful. And you know that, dude. I know that you do. 

Why does it have to be one or the other?  Why can't it be both?  For the record, I think the Bears have some interesting talent on the roster.  I think they have a giant unknown at QB who at the very least can use his athleticism to make things interesting.  They've got a solid RB in Montgomery.  And their WR room wouldn't look nearly as bad if Allen Robinson gave two F's.  Their TE room is an absolute mess.  And the OL needs sorting out.  Defensively, they're probably "better" right now, but by the time the offense is "ready" the defense will be getting up there in age.  And nobody is naive enough to think that Nagy didn't cost the Bears multiple wins.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Khalil Mack has certainly had two forgettable seasons in a row. Hicks can't stay on the field now, and is likely done. Quinn did just fine though, thank you very much.

Robert Quinn posted his highest sack total since 2013.  I'd bet a TON of money he doesn't even come close to that next year.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Why does it have to be one or the other?  Why can't it be both?  For the record, I think the Bears have some interesting talent on the roster.  I think they have a giant unknown at QB who at the very least can use his athleticism to make things interesting.  They've got a solid RB in Montgomery.  And their WR room wouldn't look nearly as bad if Allen Robinson gave two F's.  Their TE room is an absolute mess.  And the OL needs sorting out.  Defensively, they're probably "better" right now, but by the time the offense is "ready" the defense will be getting up there in age.  And nobody is naive enough to think that Nagy didn't cost the Bears multiple wins.

It can be both, certainly...but, responding as you did, to that particular post, made it sound like it was all on the roster, and I know you don't believe that, and you've said as much, in this post. 

But, I can't really blame you about the "aging defense" notion. It's put forth by the national media all the time. The reality is--Khalil Mack is sort of an afterthought at this point. Whatever we can get out of Mack in the future is gravy. And Hicks is as good as gone. Roquan Smith is the guy. Should have been first team All-Pro, but whatever. After him, there's Trevis Gipson, and Tonga. Hopefully Jaylon Johnson and Thomas Graham, JR. 

Pace started a rebuild. Luckily, he won't be around to see it through. But his last draft was easily his best.