Who is under the most pressure this postseason?

notthatbluestuff

26 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

I'd think it has to be either Green Bay or LAR.  

Green Bay - for reasons already stated

LAR - maybe I'm missing something, but haven't they pretty much sacrificed all of their draft picks for the next 25 years or something?

Basically. But we can bring a lot of the same people back for next year. But the Rams window is only definitively open for this year and next year. So a lot of pressure to capitalize. 

I can see the argument for Green Bay, but I don't see how Rodgers is under any pressure himself. What does he have to gain? He's already won a super bowl and has already cemented himself as one of the greatest quarterbacks ever. Another super bowl would just be icing on the cake.

Meanwhile, the Rams have pushed their chips all in on this season. I think if they don't cash in, they keep their coaches and FO in place to try again anyway, but it would be a huge loss on a huge gamble if they don't win it all this year.

I think every team is always under pressure at this time. Most players understand that staying healthy, doing well, and getting to the divisional round in a position to win is not something they can count on very often. 

You think of teams like the 90's Cowboys as a dynasty but they were ready to play in this round for only 4 years in a row.

They lost to the Lions in 1991 and they had nothing left for the Panthers in 1996. At that point it was over.

Rodgers has only made it to this point for a max of 3 years in a row. This is his 2nd 3 year streak.

Manning got here 5 years and 4 years in a row but he went 2-3 and 2-2 in those years.

Even for Brady he has always been clear that his favorite Super Bowl is the next one.

BTW, Brady 2008-2010 had zero playoff wins. It was not something he could always rely on either.

He was down 24-0 and 14-3 at halftime of those 2 home playoff games.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Meanwhile, the Rams have pushed their chips all in on this season.

Every team will be pressured to win, especially the 4 best ones:  S.F., T.B., Rams, G.B.  (Oddly, all in the NFC!)

Whatever conspicuous moves T.B., the Rams, and G.B. have made are evident on the field.  What you see is what you get.  Only San Fran has any issue at QB and the press is going to spill more ink kvetching about that than the other three superteams combined.

The Rams going all in is weird. They can probably sustain it as long as Ramsey and Donald keep playing like the best at their position.

Cupp putting up Megatron stats does not hurt either.

Its crazy that Donald is doing that going on 7+ years.

If one of those guys fades to top 20 instead of top 2 or gets injured then the party could be over fast.

Rodgers/Green Bay is the obvious number 1.

But I don’t think that the Rams are too far behind. As much of their future as they staked building a stacked team, if they don’t come away with a ring, it’s somewhat of a disappointment. It’s mitigated if they make a deep run though.

Titans are in a similar boat, to a lesser degree. They traded for Julio, and came in the one seed even with injuries. So if they don’t at least get to the AFCCG, that’s a disappointment.

Bills and Chiefs, less so. They’ve got QBs that will keep them in the mix for a while.

Bengals, Bucs, and Niners are playing with house money.

20 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I can see the argument for Green Bay, but I don't see how Rodgers is under any pressure himself. What does he have to gain? He's already won a super bowl and has already cemented himself as one of the greatest quarterbacks ever. Another super bowl would just be icing on the cake.

Meanwhile, the Rams have pushed their chips all in on this season. I think if they don't cash in, they keep their coaches and FO in place to try again anyway, but it would be a huge loss on a huge gamble if they don't win it all this year.

A player of Rodgers caliber should have more than one ring. 

22 hours ago, GW21 said:

I would say GB as a whole personally. If they win the SB, I don't think there is any way Rodgers leaves town, and if he stays, I think Adams stays as well. If they don't make it to the Super Bowl, or end up losing in the Super Bowl, I could see Rodgers throwing a fit and leaving town. 

I think there is almost 0 chance Rodgers leaves unless the Packers get absolutely blown out by the Niners. This whole thing has been one big PR power play with the front office and he won the battle. He has said multiple times in the past he wants to play until he's 45 and ride off into the sunset with a ring. Ultimately this is about winning the battle that Favre never could. 

I think Stafford should send Kyler Murray a gift basket.

Last week could have been a high pressure situation for Stafford but Murray made it just another game by providing no resistance to the Rams whatsoever.

Even if things get tough this week, he has that win under his belt now. He doesn't have to think about his legacy on every throw.

16 minutes ago, StatKing said:

I think there is almost 0 chance Rodgers leaves unless the Packers get absolutely blown out by the Niners. This whole thing has been one big PR power play with the front office and he won the battle. He has said multiple times in the past he wants to play until he's 45 and ride off into the sunset with a ring. Ultimately this is about winning the battle that Favre never could. 

The Packers will want him.

Rodgers staying may come down to Adams staying.

Its not his ideal situation but Adams is a heck of a WR and a QB might put up with some organizational issues to keep that partnership going for another year.

Will Adams play on a tag (20.1m based on a 20% raise or about 22.2m based on current top 5 2022 WRs)?

Will the Packers figure out how to pay him a big contract?