The Aaron Rodgers Grief Phase: Acceptance

HeresAGuy

1 minute ago, Striker said:

They drafted a QB in the 2nd and 7th in 2008. GMs will make moves to hedge for the future while remaining fluid.

Yea except the situation is completely different. Nobody knew what Rodgers would end up being at that time. They had to hedge because they didn't know if we had a true franchise QB. We know we have a franchise QB in place already. Apples and oranges my friend.

13 minutes ago, StatKing said:

If Rodgers comes back, which is looking ever more likely, barring injury Jordan Love will never see the field. You don't take QBs in the first round with no intention of playing them. Name one QB in the last 10 years that sat their entire rookie contract on the bench. You cant because teams don't do it. They bet against Aaron Rodgers and it didn't work out, I dont understand whats so hard to understand about that.

You guy's can delude yourself into believing the Packers are playing some advanced 4D chess game all you want, they are already admitting their mistake. They know what you guys don't want to admit, Jordan Love cant play and if they had any sort of realistic options to get out from under Rodgers they would have done it by now instead of letting him hold the franchise hostage and begging him to come back.

None, but at the same time few teams have had to replace a future Hall of Famer OR have had the time to let their first round QB sit and watch. 

The Patriots traded their Brady backup option, ate a bad year, and seem to have found something in Mac Jones in the first.

The Saints had no plan, and it's biting them in the ***.

The Broncos were all in on Manning, and now their best option may be doing the same thing again by trying to land Hackett and lure Rodgers to them.

Of the young QBs right now, I think Mahomes is the only one who sat and watched. All of the others were starting (for whatever reason) within their first season. The Packers are the only team that has done this twice in the past 20 years.

Edited by Striker
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, StatKing said:

If Rodgers comes back, which is looking ever more likely, barring injury Jordan Love will never see the field. You don't take QBs in the first round with no intention of playing them. Name one QB in the last 10 years that sat their entire rookie contract on the bench. You cant because teams don't do it. They bet against Aaron Rodgers and it didn't work out, I dont understand whats so hard to understand about that.

You guy's can delude yourself into believing the Packers are playing some advanced 4D chess game all you want, they are already admitting their mistake. They know what you guys don't want to admit, Jordan Love cant play and if they had any sort of realistic options to get out from under Rodgers they would have done it by now instead of letting him hold the franchise hostage and begging him to come back.

1. Why is it more likely than ever that Rodgers is coming back?

2. Aaron Rodgers sat for 3 years and signed his extension after 7 starts into his 4th year. That was an amazing contract for the Packers. It led to a Super Bowl.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Yea except the situation is completely different. Nobody knew what Rodgers would end up being at that time. They had to hedge because they didn't know if we had a true franchise QB. We know we have a franchise QB in place already. Apples and oranges my friend.

True, every situation has some differences. The Packers knew they had a franchise QB in Favre when they drafted Aaron Rodgers.  They though they knew what they had in Aaron when they spent a 2nd Rd choice on Jeffery Brohm. Differences yes, but not as stark as you seem to insist upon.

Here is an eerie parallel

In Brett's last season as a Packer he led them to 13 victories and the number 1 seed with a MVP worthy regular season performance - 66.6%, 4,155 yards, 28 TDs, 95.7 QB rating and then went out and stunk it up in a subzero home championship loss on a FG to end the game and knock the Super Bowl favorite Packers to the sidelines.

If this ends up being Aarons last season the biggest difference will be Aaron stunk it up in the divisional round as the number 1 seed.

Edited by BAM
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, StatKing said:

I read these posts and I feel like you are having a completely different conversation than the posts you are responding to.  I am not even sure who you are arguing with.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StatKing said:

So they coaches/Thompson didn't know then that Rodgers would be the guy, even though they were confident enough to tell Brett to essentially pound sand after 3 seasons of Rodgers on the bench, some shake regular season game action under Sherman and MM in '05 and '06, and then one good appearance in '07?

But now they ARE that confident that Love can't play after only 2 seasons, one of which included the absolutely ****ed up 2020 off-season, one bad game vs. KC, and one shaky game vs Detroit?

Edited by Striker

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

1. Why is it more likely than ever that Rodgers is coming back?

2. Aaron Rodgers sat for 3 years and signed his extension after 7 starts into his 4th year. That was an amazing contract for the Packers. It led to a Super Bowl.

Because they've pretty much caved into his every demand since the beginning of last year? You really think they would let him hold the franchise hostage like he has if they had any other choice?

The year is 2022 and you guys are still talking about 2008 like it has any relevance whatsoever. The league has changed. Rookie pay scales are a thing now. Its far easier to get rid of a first round QB now than it was in the past. Guys like Sam Bradford arent coming into the league anymore with top 10 contracts before they even step foot on the field.

I get why people think QBs are overpaid relative to the rest of the roster. I don't disagree but guess what, thats the way the league has trended the last 10 years. It's quite literally a next man up mentality now. The days of mid-level QB contracts are over. 

30 minutes ago, StatKing said:

if they had any sort of realistic options to get out from under Rodgers they would have done it by now instead of letting him hold the franchise hostage and begging him to come back.

They never had a realistic option. Rodgers contract was a killer in both '20 and '21. 53M dead cap in '20 and $31M dead cap in '21. There was no chance in hell he was leaving before 2022, even before the adjustment.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Striker said:

So they coaches/Thompson didn't know then that Rodgers would be the guy, even though they were confident enough to tell Brett to essentially pound sand after 3 seasons of Rodgers on the bench, some shake regular season game action under Sherman and MM in '05 and '06, and then one good appearance in '07?

But now they ARE that confident that Love can't play after only 2 seasons, one of which included the absolutely ****ed up 2020 off-season, one bad game vs. KC, and one shaky game vs Detroit?

Favre wasn't coming off back to back MVPs and was literally filing retirement papers just so he could avoid going to training camp. Rodgers has basically already said he isn't retiring. Two completely different scenarios.

Also they see Love in practice everyday. They know by now if he can play. You don't need 3 years to be able to tell.

Edited by StatKing