The Aaron Rodgers Grief Phase: Acceptance

HeresAGuy

Just now, Bullet Club said:

Are they really going to try and run it back? Then Aaron can walk for nothing?

This is the real decision for the FO.  While I agree that the FO has set Rodgers up to be the one to make the call to move on, I also think they'll be happy to accommodate him if he'll sign an extension that makes his 2022 cap number work.  I expect the FO is good with either outcome.

3 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Favre wasn't coming off back to back MVPs and was literally filing retirement papers just so he could avoid going to training camp. Rodgers has basically already said he isn't retiring. Two completely different scenarios.

Also they see Love in practice everyday. They know by now if he can play. You don't need 3 years to be able to tell.

Yet they still said they wanted him back despite knowing he's done that song and dance every year for-e-ver. Hell, per MM at the time, they were ready to fly down to welcome Brett back for the '08 season.

And here MLF is saying they want Rodgers back...which just makes sense because you aren't going to tell your starting QB and the face of the franchise for 15 years to piss off. They didn't do that until push came to shove with Brett. 

It makes sense that they want to placate Rodgers with a bunch of words of affirmation. It makes a trade easier AND it makes life with him easier if he chooses to return here.

Also, they had three full years of seeing Rodgers. So they either they had doubts and drafted Brohm or they knew he could play and were just following Thompson's strict BPA strategy (that frustrated so many here for years) and would deal with the repercussions down the road.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

This is the real decision for the FO.  While I agree that the FO has set Rodgers up to be the one to make the call to move on, I also think they'll be happy to accommodate him if he'll sign an extension that makes his 2022 cap number work.  I expect the FO is good with either outcome.

Yeah, probably so.  If they get a new deal with him at a price they like it would more than likely eliminate the ability for him to walk away in 2023 for no compensation.  I hope deep down they are ready to make the break now .. time to move on.

5 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

I just hope we know the direction shortly after the super bowl. I know they said it will be quick, but I really just want to enter the acceptance phase and move forward either way.

That portal is available to you right now. Simply accept whatever happens. Done. Peace. Tranquility. The future.....

9 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

That would be beyond stupid.  I hope they all don't fear for their jobs so much that they are afraid to move on.  

Not moving on from Rodgers now AND from Love if he flops will be what kills Gute here. Honestly, the best case scenarios for the Packers (assuming Rodgers goes) are Love shows "good to very good" ability or just looks like utter trash and they get a shot at one of the top guys in '23. You don't want to be stuck in limbo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Striker said:

Not moving on from Rodgers now AND from Love if he flops will be what kills Gute here. Honestly, the best case scenarios for the Packers (assuming Rodgers goes) are Love shows "good to very good" ability or just looks like utter trash and they get a shot at one of the top guys in '23. You don't want to be stuck in limbo.

Do you really think that's the case? 

I thought that too, but the last two years playoff performances, along with the off the field stuff, will give Gute a far longer leash, even if Love doesn't work out.

1 minute ago, pgwingman said:

I thought that too, but the last two years playoff performances, along with the off the field stuff, will give Gute a far longer leash, even if Love doesn't work out.

I think Gute has done well enough and has enough support to survive if Love flops.  For better or worse Gute will be the guy picking the next Qb if needed.  I think LaFleur is safe for a couple years as well.  Murphy makes the calls and as long as these guys are all on the same page nobody is going anywhere anytime soon.

4 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I think Gute can survive Love not working out. It would be stubbornly sticking with Love for several seasons if he flops that would be the issue.

• Like 3

Listen Up

What is it you hope to get from Rodgers over the next 2-3 years?  Seriously, what's He going to bring you..   He hasn't won a Super Bowl in 10 years, and is 7-9 in the playoffs.  He isn't taking this team anywhere with a gutted team.

Tell me again, what is it that prevents you from trading him for a significant trade package??

His trade value diminishes every season, and you are at his whim each year waiting to see if he's going to retire.

Kevin Greene's words never rang more true.

"IT IS TIME"

• Like 1

At the end of the game both QBs had a chance to move their team into position for a game winning FG. Rodgers failed; Garapolo succeeded. Even though both QBs were abysmal, Garapolo outplayed Rodgers when it counted. Garapolo. Not Brady, not Mahomes, not not even Stafford. Garapolo with a bad thumb and a bad shoulder. 

And now we're faced with the choice of tearing apart the roster to keep Rodgers who has proven time and again that he melts under pressure, or moving on. It's time to move on.