The QB Options Thread (Reality it's Tanny2022)

KingTitan

50 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

If he going to be labeled a game manager. Then he needs to do that. 
Don't be the source of our loss. 

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

and then, this season happened. and tannehill ACTIVELY LOST US GAMES because of how much he turned the ball over. he did it during the regular season and then he turned around and did it in the playoffs when the ENTIRE REST OF THE TEAM, with the notable exception of derrick henry, balled out and turned in huge performances! the question is, is this something that will continue? because if it is, then there's no point in putting any more faith in ryan moving forward. if he can't take care of the ball, it's over. because that's basically all we needed of him to win, and he couldn't get it done.

See, and this is why I put the loss more on Downing than on Tannehill.

Tannehill, especially after the first half, should not have been put in the position to be winning or losing us the game.  He was having a bad game, obviously, way before the loss was a sure thing.  If your OC doesn't see that and start changing the game plan to not rely on your QB, whether he's ****ty, or just having a ****ty game, then WTF are you doing as a coordinator?

Garoppolo isn't an elite QB.  Stafford isn't an elite QB.  And both actively held their teams back this season.  And yet, one is in the Super Bowl, and one fell just short because the coach is a coward.

Like, even with Tannehill in this game, as bad as he played, we should have still won the game, and a competent OC would have had that plan ready to go.

Your QB is a high end game manager?  Then use him like a game manager, not like he's Patrick Mahomes.

56 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Your QB is a high end game manager?  Then use him like a game manager, not like he's Patrick Mahomes.

he threw 25 passes lol, that's not using him like he's mahomes. we didn't put the game on his shoulders at all! we didn't do that in any of his turnover implosions.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

See, and this is why I put the loss more on Downing than on Tannehill.

Tannehill, especially after the first half, should not have been put in the position to be winning or losing us the game.  He was having a bad game, obviously, way before the loss was a sure thing.  If your OC doesn't see that and start changing the game plan to not rely on your QB, whether he's ****ty, or just having a ****ty game, then WTF are you doing as a coordinator?

Garoppolo isn't an elite QB.  Stafford isn't an elite QB.  And both actively held their teams back this season.  And yet, one is in the Super Bowl, and one fell just short because the coach is a coward.

Like, even with Tannehill in this game, as bad as he played, we should have still won the game, and a competent OC would have had that plan ready to go.

Stafford didn't hold his team back this season at all...

we are 0-3 in the postseason under vrabel when attempting more than 15 passes. lmfao

it is genuinely difficult to think of an nfl organization as allergic to the forward pass as this team is. from fisher to mularkey to vrabel...man. the one time we hired a passing game guy in whisenhunt we all know how that went lol. just baked into our dna. probably our biggest rival in that regard is the bears, they may have had it even worse

Edited by -Hope-
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

he threw 25 passes lol, that's not using him like he's mahomes. we didn't put the game on his shoulders at all! we didn't do that in any of his turnover implosions.

I’m talking about things like: It’s third and two, drop Tannehill back for a deep pass.

Because it seemed like that sort of thing happened way more than it should in that game.

Beyond the 3 interceptions, I'll say the reason we lost the game was playing Derrick Henry. Dude had no business being back on the field, barely looked better than he did the day he broke it vs the Colts. And we gave him 20 carries. Foreman out gained him on 16 less carries.

Schefter was right when he said Henry should have been out for the rest of the year. Know it got popular to laugh at him for that, but seems he was ultimately correct.

27 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Beyond the 3 interceptions, I'll say the reason we lost the game was playing Derrick Henry. Dude had no business being back on the field, barely looked better than he did the day he broke it vs the Colts. And we gave him 20 carries. Foreman out gained him on 16 less carries.

Schefter was right when he said Henry should have been out for the rest of the year. Know it got popular to laugh at him for that, but seems he was ultimately correct.

Derrick Henry had nothing to do with those three interceptions. Derrick Henry playing equating to us being the reason losing does not even have to be said. Derrick Henry was given the go to play. He actually made his return on a normal timeline. This isn't me making this up, it's doctors advice. 

The reason we lost was cause of bad play calling and not one, not two, three! interceptions, it's really not more complicated. Derrick Henry didn't turn the ball over.

We lost a tough close game. We battled, even through 2 interceptions. Had a chance to go down and score on the last drive, and threw another interception. To a team that is in the Super Bowl.

Really overthinking this one here.

3 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

Derrick Henry had nothing to do with those three interceptions. Derrick Henry playing equating to us being the reason losing does not even have to be said. Derrick Henry was given the go to play. He actually made his return on a normal timeline. This isn't me making this up, it's doctors advice. 

The reason we lost was cause of bad play calling and not one, not two, three! interceptions, it's really not more complicated. Derrick Henry didn't turn the ball over.

We lost a tough close game. We battled, even through 2 interceptions. Had a chance to go down and score on the last drive, and threw another interception. To a team that is in the Super Bowl.

Really overthinking this one here.

I didn't say Derrick Henry had anything to do with the 3 interceptions or turning the ball over.

I said beyond the 3 interceptions(meaning the next big problem) we lost it because we played him while he might have been at 70%, if that. Foreman was vastly superior, and if we gave Foreman those 20 carries instead, we probably win the game, even with the 3 interceptions.

18 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I didn't say Derrick Henry had anything to do with the 3 interceptions or turning the ball over.

I said beyond the 3 interceptions(meaning the next big problem) we lost it because we played him while he might have been at 70%, if that. Foreman was vastly superior, and if we gave Foreman those 20 carries instead, we probably win the game, even with the 3 interceptions.

Even if that is the case. We aren't winning a Super Bowl without a contributing Henry anyways, so it doesn't really matter.

Henry's effect is felt more than just in the box score also.

Edited by twotonebluenation

5 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I've said it a couple times, but I don't really get the sudden change of heart over Tannehill on the forum. Tannehill has always been what he is. A decent/solid starting QB.

I mean if you're looking for reasons to have faith in him, in the last two games of the season where locking up the division and locking up the 1 seed were two things to be accomplished, he went 36/50 for 407 yards(8.1 ypa), 6 tds, 0 INTs and a QB rating of 135.8.

And that came after leading quite the 2nd half comeback vs the 49ers, where he and AJ Brown just torched them.

Playing well and winning in the playoffs is hard. That's not an excuse for throwing 3 INTs vs the Bengals, but it's a fact none the less.

No one is going to want to hear this, but for as much as we all love McNair, his career post season QB rating is 66.7. He posted a QB rating above 70 in only 4 of his 10 playoff games(4 of 9 if you're only counting his playoff games as a Titan).

Please continue cause Titan fans swear this man was the goat 🥴

12 hours ago, -Hope- said:

All three turnovers, we did put him in those situations. First INT, the route design forces Bates into heavily playing to that side of the field. The second one we've been going over and over on this, it was the same play that Hilton already picked up on earlier in the game. The last one doesn't happen if a Julio Jones or an AJ Brown runs that route instead of Nick Wesbtrook-Ikhine.

Yes, he wasn't by all means good, especially not enough to overcome what we threw at thim. But also yes, if you want your quarterback to be a good game manager, you need to put him in situations where he could more easily be a game-managing quarterback rather than a game-losing quarterback.

2 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

All three turnovers, we did put him in those situations. First INT, the route design forces Bates into heavily playing to that side of the field. The second one we've been going over and over on this, it was the same play that Hilton already picked up on earlier in the game. The last one doesn't happen if a Julio Jones or an AJ Brown runs that route instead of Nick Wesbtrook-Ikhine.

Yes, he wasn't by all means good, especially not enough to overcome what we threw at thim. But also yes, if you want your quarterback to be a good game manager, you need to put him in situations where he could more easily be a game-managing quarterback rather than a game-losing quarterback.

Outside of the INTs, Kurt Warner really points out in videos I posted either here or another thread, that Ryan just missed throws that could have kept drives going or got points. 
And one throw to Julio that was complete illustrated how his aggressive manner leads to bad things. 
It was pass to Julio that got a first down but was inches away from being another tipped pass by Hendrickson. When he had AJ going to the flat with momentum and room. 

And I'm sure we can go back all season and see more examples of the same.

It's like he is given the recipe for game managing but says I'm gonna add some spice to it and try to be an MVP like QB. It's worked but failed more than it worked this year. 

And to your point, video also questions the design of plays and the way the route was ran by NWI. He said it wasn't a bad route. But without knowing how he is taught to run it, he would have like to see him angle more towards the outside to force the DB to move rather than squat, then come back like he did. 

But he has run that route that way all year, so it leads me to assume he is taught to do it that way. And We've seen AJ and Julio run it the same way. 

14 hours ago, twotonebluenation said:

Even if that is the case. We aren't winning a Super Bowl without a contributing Henry anyways, so it doesn't really matter.

Henry's effect is felt more than just in the box score also.

I would love to see a breakdown of Bengals stacking the box against Henry vs. stacking the box against Foreman.  I feel like they probably did stack it more against Henry, but it's not like I counted.

13 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

Please continue cause Titan fans swear this man was the goat 🥴

Yeah Statistically McNair had a very average career.  
I also think what makes McNair "legendary" here is he made big plays in big games. Also he helped get us to a Super Bowl. 
Super Bowl buys a lot of cred.  
Not to forget the Co-MVP year. 

Injuries really killed his longevity.