The QB Options Thread (Reality it's Tanny2022)

KingTitan

37 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Yeap. We aren't winning a bidding war.
Rodgers or Wilson has to say, SEND ME TO TENNESSEE or I hold out.

I am praying for that universe. I know that’s our only hope. Which is super unlikely. But hey, the NFL is weird so maybe 🤷‍♂️ 

But if not. Honestly next year, I am going into next year with heavily reserved expectations. I am not here saying Ryan is trash. But he just ain’t the guy. IMO. I would happily eat crow on that. But I have been saying that for the last two seasons with him. Just ain’t seeing it. 

Just hope we can have a spectacular draft and keep compiling young talent. I really hope we push the offensive side of the ball in this draft. 

Hopefully our luck changes on first round talent this year. With whatever we pick. I really hope we trade out of the first round this year anyways and get another first rounder next year. Maybe get a second rounder this year too somehow. Jrob has had better luck in the second anyways. Then next year make moves on a qb. I will beat the table with that.

I have been annoyed with Jrobs first picks these last few years. But I trust he and Vrabel will get it back on track and do the right things to mend the QB situation. It may be a thing we just have to have patience with because of his contract. 

Edited by twotonebluenation

The QB position is a razor thin line between winning and losing. I say that because each of the last 8 QB's could have made a Super Bowl and each could have lost last week with a poor throw that cost them the game...except Mahomes/Allen...but Mahomes had his horrific moments this week. If the safety for SF could catch, there is a great chance Stafford is being spoken of in the same way we are all talking about Tanny. 

Apparently Burrow nearly threw a pick six in our game, that likely shifts momentum. If Tanny took 9 sacks and had the exact game as Burrow and we won, I know I would have had huge issues with his game and his ability to get it done...and here we are with JB about to play in a SB in year 2. 

We are stuck with Tanny, and he is completely serviceable...not elite, but we can make a SB with him, not because of him. I don't think we will make a SB with him but we certainly could. We need a scheme change more than a QB change, the constant 3rd and 7+ are what is holding us back, that and we are too predictable. We need to throw more on first down, have more 5 wide sets, and the QB needs to move up in the pocket and scramble a few more times a game. 

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

See, I think if we had to draft a QB, the one that would be the best fit, of the ones I’ve watched, would be Corrall. Runs an offense efficiently, won’t lose the game for you, can run to keep play action going, etc. But I’m also not spending a first on him.

Agreed. San Fran and LA show that you can indeed make it past the first round of the playoffs, even the Super Bowl, with a limited QB.

A better offensive plan, even mildly, and we beat the Bengals. Chiefs too if they played like that and our offense doesn’t **** the bed.

We either draft a QB to develop or plan around needing to plan around Tannehill in the playoffs.

I do think some of the offense he ran is similar to what we run. There were 1-2 route combinations with max protect. He has a lightning quick release, can escape pressure well, can throw at every level. I think he doesn’t read the field anything close to what Carson Strong does, but he’s a good prospect.

He’s also listed as 6’2, FWIW. He doesn’t look as short as Murray, and the 6’ on espn is probably an old measurement.

if I had my choice, it’s Carson Strong all day. But Corral could make sense.

We need to mature the passing game. 
Right now our biggest plays come off play action. We need to be better at being able to pass for big plays. I think Cossell said that too.

Funny. I'm going back and looking at Ryan highlights trying to regain faith.  Chargers game in 2019. We had a 3rd &2 mid field almost exactly to where we were last week. And what did  we do?

QB sneak for 4 almost 5 yards.

GTFOH Downing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

Right now our biggest plays come off play action. We need to be better at being able to pass for big plays. I think Cossell said that too.

Funny. I'm going back and looking at Ryan highlights trying to regain faith.  Chargers game in 2019. We had a 3rd &2 mid field almost exactly to where we were last week. And what did  we do?

GTFOH Downing. 

Yea. You have to. Our run and pass game are way too connected. They need to work independently of each other. 

You can’t totally lose the identity, but we have to be able to ride different game plans. We have to modernize this somehow. We have become so predictable.

The Bengals we’re rocking 5 down lineman a lot and we didn’t punish it enough. 

I think the QB limitations play into it. As you can also see with the 49ers. 

It’s a delicate dance. You can’t go too far off the deep end like we saw with the Chiefs yesterday. If they take a field goal and run the ball in the second half they win. But when you have a a trio like they do on offense, you can start to feel yourself too much.

I hope we get Vrabel a quarterback that can open things up for us , while he is here. I really want to see what he can do with a top tier qb.

5 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

I hope we get Vrabel a quarterback that can open things up for us , while he is here. I really want to see what he can do with a top tier qb.

The Vrabel/JRob regime is 100% going to have a shot to replace Tannehill, at least.  Neither of them are losing their jobs next year, and we have an out with Tanny after that.  And the only way their seats are even warm is if things are really bad next year, which will prompt them to replace Tanny.

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

GTFOH Downing. 

I've said it a couple times, but I don't really get the sudden change of heart over Tannehill on the forum. Tannehill has always been what he is. A decent/solid starting QB.

I mean if you're looking for reasons to have faith in him, in the last two games of the season where locking up the division and locking up the 1 seed were two things to be accomplished, he went 36/50 for 407 yards(8.1 ypa), 6 tds, 0 INTs and a QB rating of 135.8.

And that came after leading quite the 2nd half comeback vs the 49ers, where he and AJ Brown just torched them.

Playing well and winning in the playoffs is hard. That's not an excuse for throwing 3 INTs vs the Bengals, but it's a fact none the less.

No one is going to want to hear this, but for as much as we all love McNair, his career post season QB rating is 66.7. He posted a QB rating above 70 in only 4 of his 10 playoff games(4 of 9 if you're only counting his playoff games as a Titan).

Peyton Manning blew chunks in the vast majority of his playoff games before winning a ring. Tom Brady wasn't a ton better in the Patriots first 3 superbowl runs, but he avoided the mistakes, being largely a 08 Kerry Collins-esque game manager, so no one really talks about it.

Matt Ryan was considered a choke artist after his first 3 playoff appearances, but now holds one of the highest career post season QB ratings ever. Eli was pretty ****ty in the playoffs outside of the 2 super bowl runs.

You can keep going and going, but my point isn't to absolve Ryan of criticism, but to realize how difficult it is to play well in the playoffs, even for some of the best QBs. And it's extremely common to see QBs get better in the post season the more they make it.

No idea if that happens with Ryan, but the point is to say you don't throw out good regular season performances that has regularly gotten you to the playoffs over some ****ty post season performances if a significant/proven upgrade isn't available.

It is so hard to win in the playoffs. I just don't think that's well understood. It's why if Brady truly is retiring, there will be no remaining QB in the NFL who has won multiple super bowls as a starter(Jimmy G has a couple rings as a backup).

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The Vrabel/JRob regime is 100% going to have a shot to replace Tannehill, at least.  Neither of them are losing their jobs next year, and we have an out with Tanny after that.  And the only way their seats are even warm is if things are really bad next year, which will prompt them to replace Tanny.

I know. You just never know. Drafting a qb is never a guarantee. Even with a great gm and coach. A lot of things can happen. I just hope we can strike well in whatever route we choose. I just want Vrabel to have a “franchise type guy.” I think we all do. Just hope the path leads us to that.

3 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I've said it a couple times, but I don't really get the sudden change of heart over Tannehill on the forum. Tannehill has always been what he is. A decent/solid starting QB.

I mean if you're looking for reasons to have faith in him, in the last two games of the season where locking up the division and locking up the 1 seed were two things to be accomplished, he went 36/50 for 407 yards(8.1 ypa), 6 tds, 0 INTs and a QB rating of 135.8.

And that came after leading quite the 2nd half comeback vs the 49ers, where he and AJ Brown just torched them.

Playing well and winning in the playoffs is hard. That's not an excuse for throwing 3 INTs vs the Bengals, but it's a fact none the less.

No one is going to want to hear this, but for as much as we all love McNair, his career post season QB rating is 66.7. He posted a QB rating above 70 in only 4 of his 10 playoff games(4 of 9 if you're only counting his playoff games as a Titan).

Peyton Manning blew chunks in the vast majority of his playoff games before winning a ring. Tom Brady wasn't a ton better in the Patriots first 3 superbowl runs, but he avoided the mistakes, being largely a 08 Kerry Collins-esque game manager, so no one really talks about it.

Matt Ryan was considered a choke artist after his first 3 playoff appearances, but now holds one of the highest career post season QB ratings ever. Eli was pretty ****ty in the playoffs outside of the 2 super bowl runs.

You can keep going and going, but my point isn't to absolve Ryan of criticism, but to realize how difficult it is to play well in the playoffs, even for some of the best QBs. And it's extremely common to see QBs get better in the post season the more they make it.

No idea if that happens with Ryan, but the point is to say you don't throw out good regular season performances that has regularly gotten you to the playoffs over some ****ty post season performances if a significant/proven upgrade isn't available.

It is so hard to win in the playoffs. I just don't think that's well understood. It's why if Brady truly is retiring, there will be no remaining QB in the NFL who has won multiple super bowls as a starter(Jimmy G has a couple rings as a backup).

not that i necessarily disagree with this overall, but i don't think it was actually that sudden. tannehill had severe turnover issues all season long and faced a decent amount of criticism for it, but i think a lot of us wanted to chalk it up to roster health. so of course when he put up a stinker like this with a fully healthy offense, the floodgates burst open because there were no more excuses.

the fact remains that ryan tannehill has played in 5 postseason games with this franchise in 3 straight years of playoff appearances and has yet to put up a single truly good performance. the closest thing was the ravens game but we all know who carried us to victory in that one. people are just tired, and reasonably so. "it's hard to win in the playoffs" is cold comfort for fans of a team that has blown the one seed in ugly fashion literally every time they've had it.

18 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

You are right.
My reasoning. I'm looking for reasons to have faith in him because I know he is just a decent QB. I'm hoping to find enough faith that he will continue to be decent and at times good/great. 

McNair had 76 yards passing and an INT in the music city miracle game. But that's all forgotten because we won. And if we won the game against the Bengals, nobody would remember the 3 INTs.
Playoffs are hard. There are reasons why Brees and Rodgers only won one super bowl. It's hard.

I acknowledge and respect that.

My beef this year with Ryan was his decision making was not great and he turned the ball over. Problems that were there in regular season showed up in the playoffs. 
Will he cost us games next year to the point where we won't even be in position to be in playoffs? 
That's my concern. 

But I think the forum or a lot of the forum sees his limitations or sees his ceiling and says that's not enough. It's bad enough we can't depend on you to carry us or throw us a victory majority of the time, now we gotta worry about you turning the ball over?

Ryan, go be decent. Throw for 150-210 yards and a TD. Let the defense carry us. Let Henry carry us. Fine.  But when you start adding 2-3 INTs, missed throws and bad reads into it..

What we doing?

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Yep. Two years now. 

Just a little pregame pump up. Always do that. Not a whole lot of reality from me before games. Fully admit that. I am try to muster positivity into reality. Call me weird. Just who I am. Lolz. My brain also calculates time in a different manner the older I get. Get off my back. Haha.

I also said this 7 days later.

We saw what he was like without Henry. We got him a d. And Henry came back for the playoffs and he stunk.

I know your a big Tannehill Stan, which is fine. I don’t hate the guy. I am just over it. 

22 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

You are right.
My reasoning. I'm looking for reasons to have faith in him because I know he is just a decent QB. I'm hoping to find enough faith that he will continue to be decent and at times good/great. 

McNair had 76 yards passing and an INT in the music city miracle game. But that's all forgotten because we won. And if we won the game against the Bengals, nobody would remember the 3 INTs.
Playoffs are hard. There are reasons why Brees and Rodgers only won one super bowl. It's hard.

I acknowledge and respect that.

My beef this year with Ryan was his decision making was not great and he turned the ball over. Problems that were there in regular season showed up in the playoffs. 
Will he cost us games next year to the point where we won't even be in position to be in playoffs? 
That's my concern. 

But I think the forum or a lot of the forum sees his limitations or sees his ceiling and says that's not enough. It's bad enough we can't depend on you to carry us or throw us a victory majority of the time, now we gotta worry about you turning the ball over?

Ryan, go be decent. Throw for 150-210 yards and a TD. Let the defense carry us. Let Henry carry us. Fine.  But when you start adding 2-3 INTs, missed throws and bad reads into it..

What we doing?

yeah, i said this like the day after the cincy game. if ryan's limits are that he can't carry us when other stuff goes wrong, i can live with that! it's hard to find elite QB play and in that scenario, which is basically what we thought we were getting the last two seasons, you just have to build up the strongest team you can around him and hope for the best. that's a perfectly reasonable strategy.

and then, this season happened. and tannehill ACTIVELY LOST US GAMES because of how much he turned the ball over. he did it during the regular season and then he turned around and did it in the playoffs when the ENTIRE REST OF THE TEAM, with the notable exception of derrick henry, balled out and turned in huge performances! the question is, is this something that will continue? because if it is, then there's no point in putting any more faith in ryan moving forward. if he can't take care of the ball, it's over. because that's basically all we needed of him to win, and he couldn't get it done.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

yeah, i said this like the day after the cincy game. if ryan's limits are that he can't carry us when other stuff goes wrong, i can live with that! it's hard to find elite QB play and in that scenario, which is basically what we thought we were getting the last two seasons, you just have to build up the strongest team you can around him and hope for the best. that's a perfectly reasonable strategy.

and then, this season happened. and tannehill ACTIVELY LOST US GAMES because of how much he turned the ball over. he did it during the regular season and then he turned around and did it in the playoffs when the ENTIRE REST OF THE TEAM, with the notable exception of derrick henry, balled out and turned in huge performances! the question is, is this something that will continue? because if it is, then there's no point in putting any more faith in ryan moving forward. if he can't take care of the ball, it's over. because that's basically all we needed of him to win, and he couldn't get it done.

If he going to be labeled a game manager. Then he needs to do that. 
Don't be the source of our loss. 

We literally just need a true game manager at this point. Someone that if is asked to throw 25 times can hit 19-20 of them for 210-220 yards and a TD. 

Do exactly what he did in the Divisional but don't turn it over!

• Like 2