The QB Options Thread (Reality it's Tanny2022)

KingTitan

I want to add that I respect what Tannehill has done. He’s the best QB we’ve had in two decades. That said, it’s not hard to clear the bar when the bar is the floor and your best QBs are Marcus Mariota 2016, Vince Young in late 2006, 2009 and Matt Hasselbeck in 2011. Note how I had to qualify each of these by specifying specific seasons or windows in seasons. Tannehill is good. Not great. Good. And in today’s NFL, being a good QB isn’t enough to win it all.

Maybe if we put a couple more game breaking pieces at TE and slot receiver (Michael Gallup?) Tannehill’s supporting cast could elevate him and carry him past his own limitations. 

• Like 1

The more time I've had to think about this I just don't think we're going to add to the QB group this year. I think we're going to go all in on adding more pieces around Ryan. Draft a guy like Jameson Williams in the first or Skyy Moore in the mid rounds who I think could end up being a big time steal so that we have a legitimate slot receiver. Add a legit TE to the offense and see where things go from there.

One of the biggest things I'd do for Ryan if we're not going to be getting rid of Downing is to bring in an offensive assistant like Jay Gruden or Jim Caldwell that can help develop the offense more and put Ryan in better situations. The route concepts need to be improved on big time in the offense, and I think a veteran offensive mind could really help with that.

It's a prove it year for Ryan either way, and I think what we'll ultimately do is try to add as many beneficial pieces around him to see if we can really get the offense rolling again. We'll all be holding our breath when/if playoff time comes, but that's just where things are at right now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

And in today’s NFL, being a good QB isn’t enough to win it all.

I think this narrative is overblown.  This year, Matt Stafford might very well win it all.  Jimmy Garoppolo has made one Super Bowl, and almost another.  Jared Goff the year before.  ******* Nick Foles won a Super Bowl, the year before that Matt Ryan should have, and the year before that, Peyton Manning won while playing the worst season of his career.

Is it super hard to win a Super Bowl without an elite QB?  Yeah, it's really, really hard.  Is it impossible?  Of course not.  It happens like every other season.

We can win a Super Bowl with Tannehill.  We won't win a Super Bowl because of Tannehill.

1 hour ago, SerenityNow said:

One of the biggest things I'd do for Ryan if we're not going to be getting rid of Downing is to bring in an offensive assistant like Jay Gruden or Jim Caldwell that can help develop the offense more and put Ryan in better situations. The route concepts need to be improved on big time in the offense, and I think a veteran offensive mind could really help with that.

This should be the focus.  The playcalling was bad.  Is it on Downing more than Tannehill?  Maybe not, but one of those is replaceable this year.

I agree that they probably don't draft a QB, since we have needs we have to take care of, but I hope we at least do our homework, so that if there's a guy who they're high on that falls farther than they think, they can take him.  

• Like 2

He is clearly going to be the QB next year, barring an injury...and I personally don't believe there is a better option available to us. Neither of the elite QB's are an option because we would have to unload RT. 

We can win games with RT, he has won us games with stellar play late in games...and big time throws. The bomb to AJB vs HOU last season to win the division(I think) comes to mind. He is just not elite...and that is why we can't count on him week in and week out to deliver...even elite guys have off games. 

This season he seemed to make inexplicable throws, and take sacks time after time...as I have said several times, very reminiscent of Mariota in his last several games as the starter. Those issues are what led to MM being replaced. I think the play calling is below average, and RT needs stop making the same mistakes repeatedly...but we are where we are and we are who the national media says we are...a good team that is not in the legit conversation for a SB. 

As far as replacing RT, we can't panic and waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on another project. We have seen lately that these QB's have power to move if they want out. We need to wait it out, let RT's contract run out so we don't take a huge hit and see who is unhappy in two years. Two years ago no one would have thought that Stafford would move, Wilson and Rodgers would be forcing their way out, and there is probably more I am not thinking about. 

40 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

Take it for what it is.

Nope not falling for it 

Nice try Stillman 

Tracked the freaking Titans plane with Manning 

Got my hopes up for Brady just to have the Titans not even talk to him, just to resign Tannehill the day before Free Agency started 

Talk about click bait 

JRob already gave Tannehill pretty good praise over the last few days, we are stuck with him 

I’m convinced we are stuck with Tannehill and my last hope is we at least chance OC’s

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Nope not falling for it 

Nice try Stillman 

Tracked the freaking Titans plane with Manning 

Got my hopes up for Brady just to have the Titans not even talk to him, just to resign Tannehill the day before Free Agency started 

Talk about click bait 

JRob already gave Tannehill pretty good praise over the last few days, we are stuck with him 

I’m convinced we are stuck with Tannehill and my last hope is we at least chance OC’s

yup

been thru this song and dance

Brady's kids enrolling at a nashville school...lol

the Manning flight tracking was CLASSIC tho. So fun. And creepy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deeluxx3 said:

yup

been thru this song and dance

Brady's kids enrolling at a nashville school...lol

the Manning flight tracking was CLASSIC tho. So fun. And creepy.

When the Titans fans were outside the practice facility cheering their @sses off for him and he gave the waive I thought we were golden 

1 hour ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Aaron Rodgers really sitting at home thinking “man I would love to play for Todd Downing” meanwhile Denver just hired his former OC 

I mean Hackett was considered a bum when he was with the Jags. Their fans hated him just like they did Downing. Rodgers can pick his OC if he wants. Although, the dip**** Stillman doesn’t have any sources.

Recency bias has completely ****ed a lot of people's judgement on Tannehill.

People are choosing to ignore everything he's done for us prior to this season, and focusing on what he did with NWI as his top playmaker and one completely terrible game in the playoffs.

He's gotta play better in the post-season in the future, but there are maybe a dozen guys (probably less) drafted in the last 15 years who you would rather have starting a single game for you.

You never stop looking for the next Mahomes/Allen type talent at QB, but the last 10 games shouldn't change the approach to that for us, and ****ting on Tannehill doesn't solve the problem.

Edited by TitanSS

Rodgers is buying a house in Nashville 

Still means nothing 

Players in the NFL are moving to Nashville more frequently now 

Still not worth wasting time getting hopes up 

We are stuck with Tannehill 

I more than anyone want to trade Tannehill but I’m waiving the white flag and just burying my hope that he’s traded in a cemetery some where because that wish is dead 

Just want to point out I do want Tannehill traded but I’m only doing it for Brady Rodgers and Wilson 

Seen fans actually wanting to trade for Jimmy G which is crazy

Im not trading Tannehill just to get Carr, Winston, Taysom Hill, Jimmy G, Cousins, Darnold, Bridgewater, Lock or any other average QB

If we aren’t going for a homerun, just keep Tannehill and pray after the Pro Bowl that replacing Downing as OC gains some traction 

For the cap experts 

What would have to happen to make a Tannehill for Rodgers trade actually work 

I don’t mean specific picks back and fourth but how would that get done?

Curious to what actually has to happen for a Tannehill for Rodgers or Wilson trade would look like

Would both guys have to restructure before or after the trade?

Tannehill has a lot of guaranteed money this year