2022 draft talk

bucsfan333

1 hour ago, Caaddy24 said:

Tyler Smith played tackle from what I read. But could benefit from playing guard while he learns better technique. The knock on him seems to just be that he needs work. 

I think he's saying that Tyler Smith playing OT makes him a more likely pick than guys like Kenyon or Zion who played G in college, because we've had success moving college OTs inside to G with Marpet, Cappa and Stinnie. 

I like Tyler Smith as well because he offers some possible insurance against injury if one of our OTs go down again. If he comes in and shows to be a stud, he could always kick out to tackle if Smith/Wirfs goes down and bring Hainsey or Stinnie to back him up inside. Maybe a little farfetched, but its been done before successfully, off top of my head Marshal Yanda did it a few times. 

• Like 3

Think guys are putting too much stock into the Tackle/Guard trend. That’s common for when you are drafting mid round OL prospects. Saints did this with Carl Nicks a decade ago and the NFL has slowly caught on…

Bucs wanted Quenton Nelson and Cody Ford but neither guy made it to their picks. I would not write off a prospect like Green or Johnson just because they dont have T time.

• Like 1

I do think it's more likely they go defense @ 27.  With so much of the cap dedicated to the offense, using a premium pick on defense would make sense.  Still think safety is an undervalued possibility @ 27.  Bowles limited Edwards snaps last season, right or wrong.  So he trusts him more now that Whitehead is gone?  Debatable.  Adams is unsigned.  Cockrell is safety 3.  The Jets with Bowles drafted Adams and Maye back to back.  The HC played CB in the pros, not a surprise if he prioritizes the secondary.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I do think it's more likely they go defense @ 27.  With so much of the cap dedicated to the offense, using a premium pick on defense would make sense.  Still think safety is an undervalued possibility @ 27.  Bowles limited Edwards snaps last season, right or wrong.  So he trusts him more now that Whitehead is gone?  Debatable.  Adams is unsigned.  Cockrell is safety 3.  The Jets with Bowles drafted Adams and Maye back to back.  The HC played CB in the pros, not a surprise if he prioritizes the secondary.

Right on. Our depth got exposed in the secondary so I would not be too mad. Desir and Sherman as our starting CBs at one point was embarrassing. Gotta believe that wont happen again as both SMb and Dean are Ufa’s next summer with that in mind as well. Ideally we take on DT and CB depth needs but we will have to see how the board goes in 3 weeks.

1 hour ago, indifference said:

I would not write off a prospect like Green or Johnson just because they dont have T time.

I would just say go watch some of both their highlights. From what I saw, I wouldn't classify Green as having a 1st round grade. That's just me though. He doesn't really dominate his opposition very much at all. And I feel like he is very susceptible to getting bulldozed by NFL strength DLineman. He's either lacking lower body strength or positioning technique. The only time I saw him stand out was when he was pulling.

Zion > Green

I'd rather take Olave or Burks at 27 than Green and I don't even want to draft a wr in the 1st or 2nd . 

Edited by BucsDraftGeek47

Honestly, I'm not ruling anything out at #27. If they have a guy on the board they like, I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled the trigger, whether it's a WR, OL, DE, OLB, TE, CB or S. Think QB, ILB and RB are really the only options we wouldn't target in round 1. 

I can even see us dealing out of that pick too, potentially up in round 1, or down into round 2.

2 hours ago, indifference said:

Think guys are putting too much stock into the Tackle/Guard trend. That’s common for when you are drafting mid round OL prospects. Saints did this with Carl Nicks a decade ago and the NFL has slowly caught on…

Bucs wanted Quenton Nelson and Cody Ford but neither guy made it to their picks. I would not write off a prospect like Green or Johnson just because they dont have T time.

We can make an injury argument for any position. But, I'd sleep better at night with extra protection for Brady. Having a bad D-line or secondary wouldn't cripple the team like a bad spot on the O-line would. And then there's the argument of going to a more run heavy offense as well. So those things come to my mind which makes me want to grab a good O-lineman and TE in this draft. 

I think Ryan is going to play mainly slot CB.  Safeties usually don t go early in the 1st.  If they identify a Whitehead type with better coverage skills, really think that will be the pick @ 27.  I think Wyatt is gone and Jones @ 27 will be too rich.  I think they ll like Brisker and Cine over Hill as a safety prospect.

10 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

I think that definition of player comps well to Dax Hill , Cine to a lesser degree, and Pitre as well

I just think Hill does not have the physical element Bowles likes to pair with Winfield.  Adams with the Jets and Whitehead were physical enforcers in the run game.  Winfield is terrific and a good tackler, so I believe they prefer him further from the LOS. For me, Cine and Pitre fit the bill.  Of course, I could be wrong.

34 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I just think Hill does not have the physical element Bowles likes to pair with Winfield.  Adams with the Jets and Whitehead were physical enforcers in the run game.  Winfield is terrific and a good tackler, so I believe they prefer him further from the LOS. For me, Cine and Pitre fit the bill.  Of course, I could be wrong.

Go watch some of his highlights, Hill is not afraid to be near the line of scrimmage. imo I thought he was more of an enforcer than he is a cover man. That goes for all those guys though. Dax will definitely go before our 2nd (as will Cine) though while I think there's a scenario where Pitre falls to our 2nd. Wyatt & Pitre 1,2 would be ideal 👌. Add Dulcich in thr 3rd and that's my dream scenario as of rn 😁.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Go watch some of his highlights, Hill is not afraid to be near the line of scrimmage. imo I thought he was more of an enforcer than he is a cover man. That goes for all those guys though. Dax will definitely go before our 2nd (as will Cine) though while I think there's a scenario where Pitre falls to our 2nd. Wyatt & Pitre 1,2 would be ideal 👌. Add Dulcich in thr 3rd and that's my dream scenario as of rn 😁.

If they draft a safety, I'll feel very good about the prospect's chances of success.  With Bowles history, I'm leaning a safety being taken within the first 2 rounds.  The balancing act is they have no depth at DL with not a deep class.  So prioritize DL @ 27, but potentially miss out on a better prospect at safety.  I just cannot see any more plays with NACHO and McLendon on the field together (I know at this time McLendon is not re-signed).  Please, I just cannot do it.

tenor.gif

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

If they draft a safety, I'll feel very good about the prospect's chances of success.  With Bowles history, I'm leaning a safety being taken within the first 2 rounds.  The balancing act is they have no depth at DL with not a deep class.  So prioritize DL @ 27, but potentially miss out on a better prospect at safety.  I just cannot see any more plays with NACHO and McLendon on the field together (I know at this time McLendon is not re-signed).  Please, I just cannot do it.

tenor.gif

Lmao yea 

At least Nacho has some burst, McLendon was out there just barely holding his own ground 

I think DL is more important @27 only if Johnson 🙏, Wyatt,  or Davis are there. If not idc so much. But like you said, Bowles knows how to get the best out of Safeties, so we could essentially wait til the 2nd or later because I trust him grooming a guy like they did Whitehead. Where as we haven't has as much success with DL prospects, so I'd prefer a higher caliber one.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 2:58 PM, ravishingone said:

We need to send the scouting dept. to upgrade the punter ASAP.

Matt Araiza at #27! Seriously, a team is going to take him around the 4th round (maybe 3rd?) and have themselves a heck of a weapon. He reminds me of the Dickson kid Seattle drafted in the 5th a few years ago.