Random Thoughts - 2022 Jan - to the Draft

dll2000

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Probably took his own life knowing Mustipher is a starter still

I can't say I blame him. I'm almost there myself

Could be worse.  Could be Dakota Dozier.  

kill me now matthew perry GIF

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 3

Somebody posted this video somewhere and I couldn’t find it to give credit.  Sorry.  

But I was watching it other night and I had to laugh.  This guy bought a book to learn the offense and then went back to 2020 to break down Packers O for his viewers.  I think it was 2020 anyway.  I can’t remember for sure now.  If was I am not sure why he didn’t use 2021.  But what made me laugh was he kept running into plays where the weak link was Patrick and you could tell he was really bummed by it.   Hopefully Patrick is much improved since then.

It is a good video.  Whoever shared it, thank you.  

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Somebody posted this video somewhere and I couldn’t find it to give credit.  Sorry.  

But I was watching it other night and I had to laugh.  This guy bought a book to learn the offense and then went back to 2020 to break down Packers O for his viewers.  I think it was 2020 anyway.  I can’t remember for sure now.  If was I am not sure why he didn’t use 2021.  But what made me laugh was he kept running into plays where the weak link was Patrick and you could tell he was really bummed by it.   Hopefully Patrick is much improved since then.

It is a good video.  Whoever shared it, thank you.  

I've seen other people who think both Patrick and Mustipher are average centers and wonder why they just handed Patrick the job.  I hope there wrong but we will see.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bfan said:

I've seen other people who think both Patrick and Mustipher are average centers and wonder why they just handed Patrick the job.  I hope there wrong but we will see.

I think Patrick is avg. with hopes of an arrow pointing up.  

Mustipher is below avg. as he simply is not a good enough athlete for this level.  A decent back up in a pinch who should enjoy a long career, but a liability as a full time starter.

Avg Oline are good to have.  What you don’t want is weak spots.  

Because Oline is a weak position in NFL relative to their counterparts on dLine it is hard to have a five man unit with no weak spot.  

For too long college and hs coaches have put their best athletes on dLine and it has created a disparity at highest level.  

• Like 1

Right now we have two relative unknowns at OTs, but with good potential.  

An avg center with Patrick, a left guard who played below avg last year and a current weak spot at RG.  

If our OTs can play avg to above avg.  Whitehair can recapture his good form of some years back and a rookie emerges at RG or a late vet signing we should be okay on Oline.   

But the obvious worry is that is a lot of IFs that you are banking on all happening.  

The much more likely scenario is we end up with a weak spot at one or more spots along Oline for 2022.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bfan said:

Patrick isn't great by any measure but you might be better than Mustipher

18 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Patrick isn't great by any measure but you might be better than Mustipher

Ouch, you don't know how harsh that is.  The only thing I can block is the path to the frig😁

I just believe there is a difference between a "good" NFL  Center and an "average" NFL Center.  An average Center is a guy you could get by with but you really want to upgrade.  Upgrading a good Center is a luxury.  I really have a feeling  come next off season there are going to be a lot of people that are going to be wanting to upgrade from Patrick, unless they just go strait to fire Poles and Flus😟

Edited by Bfan
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bfan said:

Ouch, you don't know how harsh that is.  The only thing I can block is the path to the frig😁

I just believe there is a difference between a "good" NFL  Center and an "average" NFL Center.  An average Center is a guy you could get by with but you really want to upgrade.  Upgrading a good Center is a luxury.  I really have a feeling  come next off season there are going to be a lot of people that are going to be wanting to upgrade from Patrick, unless they just go strait to fire Poles and Flus😟

I mean you saw how Charles Leno got treated around the fan base, and James Daniels was a frequent whipping boy right up until the point where he was set to sign elsewhere. Both are pretty average NFL starters. 

• Like 3

Finding two good offensive lineman is hard to do. Finding 3 is almost luck. Finding 5 is damn near impossible. Especially ones who can stay healthy--this is usually the biggest reason for sudden declines and turnover rate.

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I mean you saw how Charles Leno got treated around the fan base, and James Daniels was a frequent whipping boy right up until the point where he was set to sign elsewhere. Both are pretty average NFL starters. 

Leno was a lot better earlier than way he played in recent years for Bears.   I became critical when he got bad.  I used to like him.  

He provided really good value and average to good play for a long time and was incredibly durable.

Maybe it was Nagy and co.  I watched him close in a Washington game and he did pretty good in that game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

RIP. A lot of life, both NFL and otherwise, being lost this off-season. Don't know what the story will be with this one, but can't help feeling like humanity and society needs to do better. Things have been feeling grim for a while now.