Random Thoughts - 2022 Jan - to the Draft

dll2000

19 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Give up an OTA for something more like an actual training camp practice? Sign me up every time.

just so long as it doesn't go any further. Seattle got docked a 2017 5th rounder for repeated CBA issues during OTAs

21 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Well all I know is they have paid and signed or extended non-rookies named:

And guess what?   We still couldn't out bid them for their very modest FA center this offseason.

That seem weird to you?

As someone who was dug into this debate as a former Rams fan, its all about mortgaging the future, literally the GIF I posted of kicking the can down the road. And for them, now that they got the Super Bowl, it is all worth it (and they are doubling down again to try for one more before the inevitable cap-doom comes) But if you dont get that Trophy, like the Saints, it really really sucks.

Just look at the dead cap numbers (if they were cut today) on all their contracts right now, it shows exactly what they are doing

• Donald - $73m
  • Stafford - $63m
  • Ramsey - $48m
  • Kupp - $20m
  • Floyd - $27m
  • Robinson - $31m
  • Noteboom - $16m
  • Wagner - $10m

Wagner's $10m would make it into the Bears Top 5. And even more shocking, (after moving on from Mack) our highest in Eddie Jackson ($24.5m) wouldnt even crack the Rams Top 5. And you might say "we can do that too" and while sure we could, it would be for a much lower level of player. These guys are willing to do this for the Rams right now, because they are one of the Super Bowl favorites.

Those Super Bowl memories are going to have to keep Rams fans warm for a good chunk when they have zero cap space, Donald retires, Kupp moves on to a massive contract somewhere, and McVay goes elsewhere because he knows he cant win with zero cap or picks.

The Rams are already committed $230-240m to next years Cap, which is unlikely to get even that high, before any NLTBE incentives hit the books for next year. They have like $220m+ committed to 2024 already. Thats more than we have this year. Now not all of that is guaranteed, so they will make moves, but a good chunk is, and they are going to have to deal with it at some point

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

As someone who was dug into this debate as a former Rams fan, its all about mortgaging the future, literally the GIF I posted of kicking the can down the road. And for them, now that they got the Super Bowl, it is all worth it (and they are doubling down again to try for one more before the inevitable cap-doom comes) But if you dont get that Trophy, like the Saints, it really really sucks.

Just look at the dead cap numbers (if they were cut today) on all their contracts right now, it shows exactly what they are doing

• Donald - $73m
  • Stafford - $63m
  • Ramsey - $48m
  • Kupp - $20m
  • Floyd - $27m
  • Robinson - $31m
  • Noteboom - $16m
  • Wagner - $10m

Wagner's $10m would make it into the Bears Top 5. And even more shocking, (after moving on from Mack) our highest in Eddie Jackson ($24.5m) wouldnt even crack the Rams Top 5. And you might say "we can do that too" and while sure we could, it would be for a much lower level of player. These guys are willing to do this for the Rams right now, because they are one of the Super Bowl favorites.

Those Super Bowl memories are going to have to keep Rams fans warm for a good chunk when they have zero cap space, Donald retires, Kupp moves on to a massive contract somewhere, and McVay goes elsewhere because he knows he cant win with zero cap or picks.

The Rams are already committed $230-240m to next years Cap, which is unlikely to get even that high, before any NLTBE incentives hit the books for next year. They have like $220m+ committed to 2024 already. Thats more than we have this year. Now not all of that is guaranteed, so they will make moves, but a good chunk is, and they are going to have to deal with it at some point

Point is what they are doing by CW shouldn't even be possible for any year

You aren't supposed to be able to pay that many high end veterans at same time.

9 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

• Donald - $73m
  • Stafford - $63m
  • Ramsey - $48m
  • Kupp - $20m
  • Floyd - $27m
  • Robinson - $31m
  • Noteboom - $16m
  • Wagner - $10m

Well this part will have to wait awhile

Edited by beardown3231

15 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Well this part will have to wait awhile

Yea, though he would wait to cash in, but at the same time, those numbers I threw out are even more out of whack now

Still think Donald is on the cusp of retirement, and then that defense completely falls apart

I got laid off this week.  

Sucky feeling.  I didn’t do anything wrong. Opposite.  Firm just made some really bad financial decisions that put them in an impossible bind. 

Good new is I already have job prospects.  But I am thinking strongly of making a go of it on my own and starting my own firm.  Which is also pretty scary.  But I am a little tired of being worried I might be laid off with every recession.

If you are so inclined pray for me and my family.  Thanks.  

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I got laid off this week.  

Sucky feeling.  I didn’t do anything wrong. Opposite.  Firm just made some really bad financial decisions that put them in an impossible bind. 

Good new is I already have job prospects.  But I am thinking strongly of making a go of it on my own and starting my own firm.  Which is also pretty scary.  But I am a little tired of being worried I might be laid off with every recession.

If you are so inclined pray for me and my family.  Thanks.  

That's always tough and I am sorry to hear that. That being said, it is of my belief that God makes things uncomfortable for you in order to force growth. People don't tend to move forward or progress when they are in a comfortable position. Of course I don't know you and the particular details of your situation so there is still a lot to consider but maybe starting your own firm is exactly what you should be doing. Or maybe there is a better opportunity elsewhere. Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

That's always tough and I am sorry to hear that. That being said, it is of my belief that God makes things uncomfortable for you in order to force growth. People don't tend to move forward or progress when they are in a comfortable position. Of course I don't know you and the particular details of your situation so there is still a lot to consider but maybe starting your own firm is exactly what you should be doing. Or maybe there is a better opportunity elsewhere. Just my thoughts.

You are right. 

1 Peter 6-7