Random Thoughts - 2022 Jan - to the Draft

dll2000

On 6/14/2022 at 12:04 PM, dll2000 said:

Update:

got an office space in downtown Crystal Lake lined up.   Will be building a website and getting cards going this week.

Should have everything up and running by end of month - that is goal anyway.

Thanks for all support guys.

Good luck

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 4:17 AM, Bigbear72 said:

On another note, my grandson was born last night. My daughter had to have emergency surgery and they had to remove part of her small bowel so they took him early. Both seem to be doing well though.

Congrats.  Good to hear they're both doing well

I took my nephew to see Jurassic World at the drive in last night.  It was great to get out of the house for once.  He liked it more than me.   I watched the second movie, the Firestarter remake, he wasn't intersted in seeing that one.  Might go again at some point this year depending on what's playing. 

• Like 1

Went to a Taco Bell in a poverty stricken town a half hr from me and some dude shook my hand and said happy Father’s Day bro. Unexpected wholesome moment 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Went to a Taco Bell in a poverty stricken town a half hr from me and some dude shook my hand and said happy Father’s Day bro. Unexpected wholesome moment 

Small kindness has a big impact. 

Job update.  I took several steps to set up my own practice, but I put that on hold as I have a perhaps opportunity to join a thriving solo practice a block from were my office would be.

Waiting to hear back on numbers or if he wants to do it.  He is thinking as well.  Honestly don’t t know which is right way to go.  

• Like 1

Going to be an interesting camp for position battles.  Haven’t had many of those in Nagy era. 

When last seen Braxton Jones was starting LT and Thomas Graham starting nickel.  

Barring a bad back it is hard for me to see Jenkins not being one of best 5 OL. But that is case at this moment.   Super interesting to see how this shakes out.

I love that this staff is looking at playing best guy and not contract or draft status.  That should always be attitude.  On other hand some guys deserve benefit of doubt based on track record and shouldn’t have to Rudy it in OTAs   We’ll see how things work when coaches have been around a few years. 

Usually when you get these young try hard teams you lose a lot of games big, but pull crazy monumental upsets no one sees coming.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Going to be an interesting camp for position battles.  Haven’t had many of those in Nagy era. 

When last seen Braxton Jones was starting LT and Thomas Graham starting nickel.  

Barring a bad back it is hard for me to see Jenkins not being one of best 5 OL. But that is case at this moment.   Super interesting to see how this shakes out.

I love that this staff is looking at playing best guy and not contract or draft status.  That should always be attitude.  On other hand some guys deserve benefit of doubt based on track record and shouldn’t have to Rudy it in OTAs   We’ll see how things work when coaches have been around a few years. 

Usually when you get these young try hard teams you lose a lot of games big, but pull crazy monumental upsets no one sees coming.  

I'm sorry, but i'm still having trouble figuring out how jenkins wouldn't be a better RG than mustipher - the only reason i can think of that they havent made that move yet is because they are either 1) giving him one last shot at T or 2) actually doing what they say and just rotating everyone through

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

I'm sorry, but i'm still having trouble figuring out how jenkins wouldn't be a better RG than mustipher - the only reason i can think of that they havent made that move yet is because they are either 1) giving him one last shot at T or 2) actually doing what they say and just rotating everyone through

Right. Outside of obvious ones like Fields I dont read much into these lineups. Jenkins is the best OL prospect weve had since Long IMO and I liked his college tape more than Long's too. If he isnt starting then he is injured when actual contact starts up. 

17 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

If they think Jones is likely one of best 2 tackles I have to think Borom and Jenkins are 2 more of best overall 5.  

They have given none of the 3 reps at guard to date though.  Maybe they would rather one that ‘loses’ to be swing tackle for depth and part of 6 OL packages which became much more common across league last year.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Right. Outside of obvious ones like Fields I dont read much into these lineups. Jenkins is the best OL prospect weve had since Long IMO and I liked his college tape more than Long's too. If he isnt starting then he is injured when actual contact starts up. 

I really liked Jenkins college tape too.  But we aren’t seeing practices.  Can’t judge what we don’t see.  Wish we could see them. 

But you can’t always trust coaches either.   When I went to Bears camp in 2019 I said they needed their heads examined if they started Long and they still did.  

Long got dominated the entire day by every DL on roster.  He got so upset after awhile he ripped off his pads and started beating himself.  No media were watching.  They were all watching skills on other field and only seat I could get was by Oline drills far away.  So I had a front row view of the whole thing.

Not sure if that was Nagy call or Harry.  But it wasn’t based on practice I can tell you.  

• Like 2

I learned you can’t always trust media accounts of practice either.  

They can see good catches and Ints and sacks and that is what they report on. But most don’t don’t really understand what they are looking at fundamentally which is sad because it’s their full time job.  They think I have watched football my whole life, I know this.  For some that is true, for others it isn’t.  

Think about it this way.  Could they teach and or explain right now proper fundamentals and techniques for individual positions to someone else ?   Most can’t, they just look at results or flash plays which can be misleading.

This is why we get often excited about camp guys who never make roster.  A lot we aren’t seeing not being able to watch first hand.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I learned you can’t always trust media accounts of practice either.  

They can see good catches and Ints and sacks and that is what they report on. But most don’t don’t really understand what they are looking at fundamentally which is sad because it’s their full time job.  They think I have watched football my whole life, I know this.  For some that is true, for others it isn’t.  

Think about it this way.  Could they teach and or explain right now proper fundamentals and techniques for individual positions to someone else ?   Most can’t, they just look at results or flash plays which can be misleading.

This is why we get often excited about camp guys who never make roster.  A lot we aren’t seeing not being able to watch first hand.  

That's because most in the media are journalist first and everything second. Their focus is not on understanding the fundamental and the little things, it's on reporting what they see. That's not just in sports either. I come across tons of articles where the author had no idea what they were writing about.

2 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

That's because most in the media are journalist first and everything second. Their focus is not on understanding the fundamental and the little things, it's on reporting what they see. That's not just in sports either. I come across tons of articles where the author had no idea what they were writing about.

Somebody once said, when you know a topic or subject really well you can see all the stuff the media gets wrong in an article on said subject and are often appalled by it.

Knowing this you have to assume they are also getting much wrong on the stuff you don't know really well.