Random Thoughts - 2022 Jan - to the Draft

dll2000

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Hard to say. That's all really weird. 

Patrick Willis & Luke Kuechly also retired young but that was more down to injury than anything else...I just hope this is purely a football decision and that there isn't anything wrong with him.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Patrick Willis & Luke Kuechly also retired young but that was more down to injury than anything else...I just hope this is purely a football decision and that there isn't anything wrong with him.

Also gotta think this makes it a lot more likely Tampa holds on to Jensen and/or Cappa 

10 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Also gotta think this makes it a lot more likely Tampa holds on to Jensen and/or Cappa 

Jensen was always gonna set the market at C and may always have been a bit of a pipe dream for us given how many needs we have to fill, but I thought Cappa had a decent shot to get to UFA. I definitely think that’s less likely now. 

11 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

This is a real shock...wonder if after a year off he could be convinced to come back at just 30 years old.

Man to retire at 28, with $30m in your bank, a super bowl ring, and your body still relatively in tact…..that’s the dream.  Give me $30m today and it would be hard to convince me to work another day in my life.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

Man to retire at 28, with $30m in your bank, a super bowl ring, and your body still relatively in tact…..that’s the dream.  Give me $30m today and it would be hard to convince me to work another day in my life.

Wouldn't be surprised if this becomes more and more common, honestly, with all the info on CTE that's come out in the past decade or so. No reason to keep risking brain damage when you're already wealthy enough to retire -very- comfortably.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Especially for Olinemen carrying extra weight on purpose.  Sooner you get away from that and slim down a bit the better. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Epyon said:

Wouldn't be surprised if this becomes more and more common, honestly, with all the info on CTE that's come out in the past decade or so. No reason to keep risking brain damage when you're already wealthy enough to retire -very- comfortably.

I agree--except for three specific groups: 1) dudes who cherish money 2) dudes who cherish competition 3) dudes who HAVE to keep maintaining that level of income for one reason or another (baby mommas, gambling/gambling debt, etc)

The league is definitely going to undergo some changes in the near future, and the overall skill level is probably going to suffer some.

• Like 1

I like this story about Kupp from LA Times.  I saw it mentioned on YouTube and googled it for print:

NFL teams took notice of Kupp’s numbers at Eastern Washington — and how he had some of his biggest games against Pac-12 opponents — but future Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning played a role in raising his profile too.

Kupp worked as a counselor at the Manning Passing Academy for five years, and Peyton quickly recognized he was no ordinary receiver. When Kupp was heading into his sophomore year of college, Rams general manager Les Snead stopped by the Manning camp and overheard Peyton stake a claim to the sure-handed target before a passing exhibition.

Peyton Manning gives instructions to Cooper Kupp at the Manning Passing Academy, where Kupp participated for five years as a camper then a counselor.
Peyton Manning gives instructions to Cooper Kupp at the Manning Passing Academy, where Kupp participated for five years as a camper then a counselor.(Courtesy of Kupp family)
“Peyton mentioned to [his brother] Eli, and all the subsequent college QBs, '`Hey Cooper Kupp’s my guy. Y’all can figure out who y’all are throwing to, but Cooper’s mine,’ ” Snead recalled. “At that point, you took the note to follow the kid. Because Peyton’s a perfectionist, and he was definitely going to have someone who was going to be where they were supposed to be, and make the catch when he was supposed to make it.”

Recalled Peyton Manning: “Eli and I would argue over who got to throw to Cooper, because all of his routes were very precise. He had great control of his body. You always knew where he was going, when he was going to break out or break in. For a quarterback and receiver, sometimes it takes a while to develop that timing. But he was one of those guys who right away for me and Eli the timing was easy. And of course he caught everything as well.”

That blip on the radar screen grew brighter as Kupp assembled his record-breaking college career. The Rams were light on both receivers and draft picks in Sean McVay’s first season, and they were worried that Kupp wouldn’t be around for them to take in the third round. So they were actually relieved when Kupp ran an underwhelming 40-yard dash at the scouting combine, covering the distance in a relatively sluggish 4.62 seconds.

“I don’t know if I gave a fist pump, but I do know I made a smirk,” Snead said of his reaction to that 40 time. “I said, '`We’re going to be able to get Cooper Kupp now because the football world overvalues 40s.’ If there’s one thing we do wrong in scouting, it’s putting too much value on how fast someone runs the 40-yard dash.”

College recruiters should take note of that as well.  I think were I put in charge of selecting HS athletes for a great coach willing to cooperate with me I could really help build a great program in time.  So many under radar guys that can really be made into players given a developmental attitude rather than plug and play.   

I would also note this was how Riley Ridley qualities were sold to us as well (under athletic wide receiver who runs great routes, etc.) and it didn't work out like it did for Kupp.   You have to be able to tell difference.  

Just now, dll2000 said:

I like this story about Kupp from LA Times.  I saw it mentioned on YouTube and googled it for print:

NFL teams took notice of Kupp’s numbers at Eastern Washington — and how he had some of his biggest games against Pac-12 opponents — but future Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning played a role in raising his profile too.

Kupp worked as a counselor at the Manning Passing Academy for five years, and Peyton quickly recognized he was no ordinary receiver. When Kupp was heading into his sophomore year of college, Rams general manager Les Snead stopped by the Manning camp and overheard Peyton stake a claim to the sure-handed target before a passing exhibition.

Peyton Manning gives instructions to Cooper Kupp at the Manning Passing Academy, where Kupp participated for five years as a camper then a counselor.
Peyton Manning gives instructions to Cooper Kupp at the Manning Passing Academy, where Kupp participated for five years as a camper then a counselor.(Courtesy of Kupp family)
“Peyton mentioned to [his brother] Eli, and all the subsequent college QBs, '`Hey Cooper Kupp’s my guy. Y’all can figure out who y’all are throwing to, but Cooper’s mine,’ ” Snead recalled. “At that point, you took the note to follow the kid. Because Peyton’s a perfectionist, and he was definitely going to have someone who was going to be where they were supposed to be, and make the catch when he was supposed to make it.”

Recalled Peyton Manning: “Eli and I would argue over who got to throw to Cooper, because all of his routes were very precise. He had great control of his body. You always knew where he was going, when he was going to break out or break in. For a quarterback and receiver, sometimes it takes a while to develop that timing. But he was one of those guys who right away for me and Eli the timing was easy. And of course he caught everything as well.”

That blip on the radar screen grew brighter as Kupp assembled his record-breaking college career. The Rams were light on both receivers and draft picks in Sean McVay’s first season, and they were worried that Kupp wouldn’t be around for them to take in the third round. So they were actually relieved when Kupp ran an underwhelming 40-yard dash at the scouting combine, covering the distance in a relatively sluggish 4.62 seconds.

“I don’t know if I gave a fist pump, but I do know I made a smirk,” Snead said of his reaction to that 40 time. “I said, '`We’re going to be able to get Cooper Kupp now because the football world overvalues 40s.’ If there’s one thing we do wrong in scouting, it’s putting too much value on how fast someone runs the 40-yard dash.”

College recruiters should take note of that as well.  I think were I put in charge of selecting HS athletes for a great coach willing to cooperate with me I could really help build a great program in time.  So many under radar guys that can really be made into players given a developmental attitude rather than plug and play.   

I would also note this was how Riley Ridley qualities were sold to us as well (under athletic wide receiver who runs great routes, etc.) and it didn't work out like it did for Kupp.   You have to be able to tell difference.  

I would also note it seems Kupp was a camper they loved and Manning bros. didn't try to sell him to Tennessee or Miss. or they did a poor job of it if they did.  Maybe they just never do that in general.

It's a little ironic that if Justin Fields pans out 2021 will be Pace's greatest overall draft by a wide margin.   The year he over stayed his welcome.  

It's actually my favorite Bears draft in real time since adulthood.

I liked every pick for its slot all the way through Tonga.   That has never jived up before for me like that.

I will often rose colored glasses drafts as a fan, because being negative all the time is not fun.   But, this is first Bears draft I was really impressed with in real time and without hindsight.

That draft could radically change Bears and he won't have been there to see it through.

But on plus side if it does, people will remember and he will get a 2nd chance at being a GM.   He needs to be rooting for Bears to succeed in next 3 years.

9 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Your not wrong man...guess the only thing that keeps most of these guys playing is the need to be competitive and their love for the game...

That and the one thing that kept me playing high(ish) level spot...teammates.

My Pace Draft grades with hindsight taking into account where they were drafted  (procrastinating some work right now):

2015    1    Kevin White    F
2015    2    Eddie Goldman    B+
2015    3    Hroniss Grasu    F
2015    4    Jeremy Langford   D
2015    5    Adrian Amos    A
2015    6    Tayo Fabuluje    D

2016    1    Leonard Floyd    D+
2016    2    Cody Whitehair    B
2016    3    Jonathan Bullard    F
2016    4    Nick Kwiatkoski    B
2016    4    Deon Bush    C-
2016    4    Deiondre' Hall    C-
2016    5    Jordan Howard    B+
2016    6    DeAndre Houston-Carson    185    A
2016    7    Daniel Braverman    230    D

2017    1    Mitchell Trubisky    D-
2017    2    Adam Shaheen    F
2017    4    Eddie Jackson    A-
2017    4    Tarik Cohen    B
2017    5    Jordan Morgan    F

2018    1    Roquan Smith   B+
2018    2    James Daniels    C
2018    2    Anthony Miller   F
2018    4    Joel Iyiegbuniwe    F
2018    5    Bilal Nichols    145    A-
2018    6    Kylie Fitts    181    D
2018    7    Javon Wims C+

(a little early to grade 2020, but what the heck)

2020    2    Cole Kmet    C-
2020    2    Jaylon Johnson    A
2020    5    Trevis Gipson   B+
2020    5    Kindle Vildor    B
2020    5    Darnell Mooney    A+
2020    7    Arlington Hambright    F
2020    7    Lachavious Simmons   F

Too early to grade 2021 - but on paper it is my favorite.