Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

I think Bears are running things same as most teams now.

GM gets to run things and has to answer to owner on big decisions like a huge trade or big FA spending or bringing in a controversial player or coach.

The difference is different owners have different levels of patience.  And some will go back on their word and interfere.

And some situations are seen as better due to current roster and draft picks or facilities or weather or whatever.

I think the difference between now and past years is Bears are promising to interfere less than before and Pace didn't leave the cupboard totally dry.

Yes we don't have a number 1 pick next year.   But Pace had a good draft in 2020 and 2021 and Fields looks to have talent.

No new Bears GM has walked into as good a situation since 80s.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ownership has already stressed several times that whoever the new Bears GM will have free reign to run the football operation.  Also they will not have to report to any one other than George McCaskey.

They've said this publicly but we don't know the specifics. Dodds certainly asked questions to get to the heart of that. He knows more than we do.

6 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

That's why I think it's being blown out of proportion a bit that Dodds withdrew his candidacy.  Maybe Bears indicated they were no longer seriously considering him or for other reasons...

This is absolutely possible. It just seems like ominous news to me, especially given Dodds' connections to Ballard.

Edited by abstract_thought

19 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe to get an idea of how the Bears' organization was going to be ran.  LIS, my guess is he wasn't a fan of the power structure, but that's 100% speculation.

He would be answering directly to the owner, what else could you want?

Rumor is he had a bad interview. He has done this 3 times previously as well.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He would be answering directly to the owner, what else could you want?

Rumor is he had a bad interview. He has done this 3 times previously as well.

It's not always about who you're reporting to.  If you feel like you're being given a directive or being handcuffed against what you think will make you successful in a situation, would you really want to go to that place?  The last two HCs that were offensive-minded were unmitigated disasters for the Bears, so I don't think it's unreasonable that ownership would prefer a defensive-minded HC.  If the McCaskey's said that they wanted a defensive-minded HC as part of the Dodds' interview, is it unreasonable to believe that Dodds would prefer an offensive-minded HC to make sure that Fields succeeds?  Going based off the list that @JAF-N72EX posted, it seems they're leaning towards a defensive-minded HC.

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We can assume two things pretty safely.  We know that he knew that the Bears lacked their FRP and 4th round pick as part of the Justin Fields trade.  We also knew that Justin Fields would be the Bears' starting QB in 2022.  I wouldn't understand why you would interview for a position if either of those two were a dealbreaker.  So that leads me to speculate that there's something behind the curtains that wasn't appealing to Dodds.  Is it possible that ownership wants a defensive-minded HC and Dodds wants the freedom to pick his own choice?

Could be but I doubt it.  I think Bears ownership learned their lesson that this isn't a good way to go about things after they saddled Ryan Pace with John Fox when running this same GM/HC process a few years back.

Plus I've heard that Dodds' likely choice at HC if hired would be Dan Quinn since they are close from their Seahawks days.

Personally I think that maybe Dodds felt the interview didn't go well and/or knows that his good colleague Morocco Brown is also being more strongly considered for the Bears GM job which could have caused him to withdraw.

14 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

They've said this publicly but we don't know the specifics. Dodds certainly asked questions to get to the heart of that. He knows more than we do.

This is absolutely possible. It just seems like ominous news to me, especially given Dodds' connections to Ballard.

Well Morocco Brown is also very connected to Ballard, even more so than Dodds, since Brown and Ballard go way back to their days together working for the Bears in the early 2000s.

If Morocco also pulls out of the running then that will be telling, but like I said I feel the Dodds news is being blown out of proportion as this isn't the first time he's done this.  He apparently has an abrasive personality so that could be another reason why this is occurring 

24 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

If Morocco also pulls out of the running then that will be telling, but like I said I feel the Dodds news is being blown out of proportion as this isn't the first time he's done this.  He apparently has an abrasive personality so that could be another reason why this is occurring 

If Brown pulls out as well then it is clear there are serious issues because he really wants to run a team…according to Hoge & Jahns he was really disappointed not to get the Atlanta job last offseason so if he then doesn’t even want to be considered here it means ownership are not willing to make the kinds of changes that the Colts we for Ballard and they feel they can’t work in that environment…I do however believe this has more to do with Dodds than our ownership given his history…

The other thing that Hoge & Jahns have said is everyone they have spoken to says Brown would make a better GM than Dodds…sometime me included we get too caught up on the GM as a talent evaluator rather than a leader of a billion-dollar organisation …Dodds is an exceptional talent evaluator but does he have the personal skills to deal with everyone from a star QB to a groundsman? That seems to be where his issue is…Brown is apparently much more of a people person so will not be as abrasive as Dodds comes across…

I honestly think they view Brown who worked under Angelo…and Eberfuls who is highly rated by Lovie Smith as the same sort of pairing that always had as competitive.

The Frazier stuff still seems weird to me. We still haven’t interviewed him since we pushed him back a full week, but we are allegedly gushing over him? the only reason I can maybe understand one is they zeroed in on him from the beginning and we’re hoping to get a gm on board first who could then conduct that interview- Ala Pace and Bowles in 2015. 

Have any other teams interviewed him? I’m not saying we need to follow the hive mind, but if all the rats are avoiding a specific piece of cheese, maybe there is something funky going on there

This could be a bit of an insight into what we are looking for when it comes to the next HC…Bill Polian’s 11 guidelines for hiring a HC…

1.      Organization

2.      Leadership

3.      Communication

4.      Emotional stability

5.      Vision

6.      Strategy

7.      Flexibility

8.      Ability to judge talent

9.      Public relations

10.   Player respect

11.   Character

It’s hard not to feel like the #Bears have a “prearranged marriage” in mind with Morocco Brown & Matt Eberflus both interviewing on Monday. Very curious if they’ll bring in another HC “finalist” or two as well early next weeks. Regardless, the process has official confused me

Leming clearly feels the same as me on this...really weird process.