Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

I'm happy for you guys.  Eberflus should keep the traditional Bears defense looking good.  My big hope is that he will grab a great OC who can develop Justin Fields.  If you have your Monsters of the Midway defense AND a Top 5-10 QB, you should own the NFC Norris in the next 2-3 years!

• Like 1

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

I'm happy for you guys.  Eberflus should keep the traditional Bears defense looking good.  My big hope is that he will grab a great OC who can develop Justin Fields.  If you have your Monsters of the Midway defense AND a Top 5-10 QB, you should own the NFC Norris in the next 2-3 years!

I've realized a franchise needs an identity. Our identity is tough, physical defense. Even though the league is legislating the game away from that style of play, it's who we are. Be physical within the constraint of the rules.

We just need to figure out who the hell we are on offense. Me? I like being tough up front -- *** kickers -- and build a vertical passing game off that/play-action.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

I've realized a franchise needs an identity. Our identity is tough, physical defense. Even though the league is legislating the game away from that style of play, it's who we are. Be physical within the constraint of the rules.

We just need to figure out who the hell we are on offense. Me? I like being tough up front -- *** kickers -- and build a vertical passing game off that/play-action.

You could be an improved version of the 49ers.  A lot of your offensive identity will maybe come down to the strengths of Justin Fields.  Will you still be playing outdoors in the new stadium, or will it be covered?  Either way, it's going to be a lot of fun watching 'da Bears over the next few years.

Edited by Uncle Buck

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

You could be an improved version of the 49ers.  A lot of your offensive identity will maybe come down to the strengths of Justin Fields.  It's going to be a lot of fun to watch 'da Bears in the future.

This franchise has an innate ability to take strengths of QBs and destroy them.

I am hoping this is the start of a new era of Chicago Bears football.

• Like 2

I'm so surprised Poles didn't go with an offensive HC

I'm concerned. Hopefully it turns out well, but this could be that decision we look back on and say there were red flags from the start. 

The recipe lately has just been so much of getting the right offensive HC with the QB. Idk why after seeing that Poles would want to go with a defensive guy.

I really gotta see who the OC is gonna be. Maybe Poles is thinking this can be a Chargers situation, but man...

btw I'm a OSU alum and also have J Fields as one of my dynasty league QBs. Him and Lance so you may see me in here every now and then. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I'm concerned. Hopefully it turns out well, but this could be that decision we look back on and say there were red flags from the start. 

The recipe lately has just been so much of getting the right offensive HC with the QB. Idk why after seeing that Poles would want to go with a defensive guy.

I really gotta see who the OC is gonna be. Maybe Poles is thinking this can be a Chargers situation, but man...

btw I'm a OSU alum and also have J Fields as one of my dynasty league QBs. Him and Lance so you may see me in here every now and then. 

Most of us would have preferred that too. lol

Hopefully they get it right and let Fields develop properly but it hasnt happened in my time. Maybe Poles already has an OC or two, I don't really follow that closely .

Jump in anytime. lol

50 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Really like the idea of adding Bisaccia but it sucks that our best coordinator was our ST coordinator last two years. Tabor is the one I am not opposed to keeping. Bisaccia should be able to really help Eberflus as he gets his feet wet.

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

Will you still be playing outdoors in the new stadium, or will it be covered?  Either way, it's going to be a lot of fun watching 'da Bears over the next few years.

I'd imagine it will be a state of the art hybrid, like your old team has. 

1 hour ago, G08 said:

This franchise has an innate ability to take strengths of QBs and destroy them.

This franchise has an annoying ability to acquire mediocre quarterbacks and then hype them up as the real deal.

Let's all hope Fields does not fit this pattern. 

1 hour ago, The_Romen said:

Apparently they're looking at Rich Bisaccia for ST coach??? That'd be a huge W.

I can't believe the Raiders are going to let him go. Truly moronic, and if it happens, they deserve any continued misery they get. 

56 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Can't say Eberflus was my first choice, either (and was absolutely shocked they didn't go with Daboll)...but by most media accounts he was a top candidate. As a Bears fan, I have to at least take solace in that. And it's hard to deny Eberflus' defensive success, that will be a nice plus.

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

You're always welcome in these here parts, @brownie man.  I think Fields will work out just fine in your dynasty league. 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

The issue was there was no slam dunk offensive hire.

We have gone searching for the offensive guy and instead we ended up with a weirdo from Canada and Andy Ried’s coffee boy.

• Like 6

My hope for OC (in any order really)

Ken Dorsey - can be taken since he doesn't call plays in BUF but worked with Newton in his MVP year and has worked with Allen in BUF for the last several years.

Joe Brady - young guy and between he and Flip there is a good mix of creativity and experience. Brady also won't be getting a HC shot so quickly after getting the axe in CAR.

Kevin O'Connell - LAR OC can be poached since McVay does the playcalling. The Shanahan scheme would be a perfect fit for Fields too.

Jim Caldwell - former HC has the experience to let Matt run the defense and grow as a HC.

Joe Philbin - DAL OL coach and former HC. Has playcalling experience, will be able to help protect Fields much better than Nagy did. That alone will help him. Also was there for the entire time Rodgers was being groomed so he has seen a lot. Hopefully some of that stuck.

• Like 2