Giants Hire Brian Daboll As Head Coach

TitanLegend

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Giants are now Bills East. In fact, every move so far has come from the Bills. Schoen, Daboll, even the first signing Schoen has made was RB Antonio Williams signing a futures deal. I wonder what the first non-Bills related hiring/signing will be. 

I like all the moves!! I wanted William to get some burn earlier this season before Singletary emerged.

• Like 1

I'm intrigued to see what Daboll can bring to the table, but: 

I'm not generally a fan of firing a guy who comes from a specific school of coaching or coaching tree to hire another guy who comes from the same school of coaching. Sure, he might be able to do it better, but at some point, schemes matter.

Can someone explain to me what makes Daboll's system that vastly different from Joe Judge's offensive approach and why anyone thinks it'll be more successful with this guy vs. another Belichick guy? 

39 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I'm not generally a fan of firing a guy who comes from a specific school of coaching or coaching tree to hire another guy who comes from the same school of coaching. Sure, he might be able to do it better, but at some point, schemes matter.

Can someone explain to me what makes Daboll's system that vastly different from Joe Judge's offensive approach and why anyone thinks it'll be more successful with this guy vs. another Belichick guy? 

I feel like @Broncofanprovided a great breakdown about why Daboll isn’t just another Belichick guy. But I can’t seem to find the post. But it has to do with the fact that he was able to spend time away from Belichick/Patriots through a variety of different jobs in the NFL and college.

• Like 1

Daniel Jones should add more weight and become a RB or a TE… That’ll be fun to watch. Dudes a tank as a runner 😂 

Ok hire idk why man but there’s no sizzle. These hirings are boring! I would have rather hired the DC from SF. Something innovative, there’s nothing innovative about this hire. Maybe it’s me. But I see this as another 2-3 years then fired. I’ll want a balls to wall approach. They’ve tried hiring these “offensive minds” and it hasn’t worked. Better than Judge though I’ll tell you that. 

10 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

I dont think Dorsey goes with him if the Bills and Josh Allen want him to stick around as OC. It would be stupid for him to take Giants OC job. If he stayed with Bills and offense continues to thrive with him then he is looking at a potential head coaching gig in the near future.

With the Giants its a possibility he could be out of a job in near future if the new regime isnt successful.

If he stayed with the Bills and they regressed he’d never get another shot again likely. Taking on a larger role and the Giants actually being competent on offense opens up a lot of opportunities for him. 

Obviously there’s upside and downside to each decision.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

i will say remembering him as the Chiefs OC in 2012, his offense now is vastly different from then. You can tell the taint from New England is nearly gone.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 12:22 PM, Xenos said:

I feel like @Broncofanprovided a great breakdown about why Daboll isn’t just another Belichick guy. But I can’t seem to find the post. But it has to do with the fact that he was able to spend time away from Belichick/Patriots through a variety of different jobs in the NFL and college.

There are a couple really good pieces on him in The Athletic and other places about how different his coaching style, philosophy, and scheme is now than it was 10 years ago. There are guys like Derek Anderson and Patrick DiMarco who have played for him a while ago and recently and they were able to speak it about it personally, which was pretty cool. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

There are a couple really good pieces on him in The Athletic and other places about how different his coaching style, philosophy, and scheme is now than it was 10 years ago. There are guys like Derek Anderson and Patrick DiMarco who have played for him a while ago and recently and they were able to speak it about it personally, which was pretty cool. 

I saw those too. One example in particular really stood out for me.

Earlier in his career, it was difficult for Daboll to delegate and loosen his grip on any aspect of the offense, and that only became more challenging during his early days working with Allen. “Josh is kind of his baby,” DiMarco said. “Like he wanted to be able to mentor Josh in the field … Instead of letting him be up in the booth, he dissected the offense during those walkthroughs. He couldn’t sit back and just watch his creation. It’s like he’s watching his baby, his creation, his offense, play itself out.” When the Bills hired quarterbacks coach Ken Dorsey in 2019, Daboll was finally able to relinquish control and move to the booth. And Buffalo’s offense has reaped the rewards.

7 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

I saw those too. One example in particular really stood out for me.

Earlier in his career, it was difficult for Daboll to delegate and loosen his grip on any aspect of the offense, and that only became more challenging during his early days working with Allen. “Josh is kind of his baby,” DiMarco said. “Like he wanted to be able to mentor Josh in the field … Instead of letting him be up in the booth, he dissected the offense during those walkthroughs. He couldn’t sit back and just watch his creation. It’s like he’s watching his baby, his creation, his offense, play itself out.” When the Bills hired quarterbacks coach Ken Dorsey in 2019, Daboll was finally able to relinquish control and move to the booth. And Buffalo’s offense has reaped the rewards.

Can confirm. I remember Daboll moving up to the booth and the offense almost instantly saw an upswing in production.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 8:40 AM, SpacemanSpiff said:

Joe Judge was a special teams coach, Daboll is an offensive minded coach. When he took over in Buffalo with Allen he wasn't very good and they had one of the worst offenses in the league early on. He was able to develop Allen into a top tier NFL QB and they became a top 5 offense.