Raiders hire Josh McDaniels as HC and Dave Ziegler as GM

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Already stated in my convo with @NYRaider that I give the coaches and supporting cast credit for having Mac ahead of where Carr was his rookie year. It's a big reason why the comparison is fascinating, Carr developed into a good QB despite his uncontrollables. Meanwhile BB made an uncharacteristic effort to give his rookie training wheels in FA. 

It'll be interesting to see how Jones develops, he's been put in a very good position so far so fascinating to see if he takes that next step. For me, Carr has developed despite the position he's been put in, I have a feeling we could and should have got more from him and wasted some of his talent. Hopefully Josh McD can eek out a bit more and if he can scheme a better red zone offence Carr can maybe take advantage. 

Already stated in my convo with @NYRaider that I give the coaches and supporting cast credit for having Mac ahead of where Carr was his rookie year. It's a big reason why the comparison is fascinating, Carr developed into a good QB despite his uncontrollables. Meanwhile BB made an uncharacteristic effort to give his rookie training wheels in FA. 

The only reason I defend him is because he's become a good player despite horrific talent/coaching and I'm hoping a good coach can help him ascend a level. Might just be me though.

3 hours ago, childofpudding said:

Urban Meyer and Matt Nagy gone too.

Tomlin, Shanahan, Joe Judge and Dan Campbell still in the mix. McDaniels definitely in that top tier, though.

Judge was fired, thankfully, so he's out of the running if we're going by current HCs. 🙂

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

It'll be interesting to see how Jones develops, he's been put in a very good position so far so fascinating to see if he takes that next step. For me, Carr has developed despite the position he's been put in, I have a feeling we could and should have got more from him and wasted some of his talent. Hopefully Josh McD can eek out a bit more and if he can scheme a better red zone offence Carr can maybe take advantage. 

Big question for me is and still will rely on that Raiders OL.  Even with the retirement of Scarnecchia, the Pats still finished with, at minimum, a top-half-of-the-league OL (some of us would make a case for higher than that).  Now maybe there's a similar addition by subtraction as to what occurred in Seattle when Tom Cable is removed from the mix, but it's difficult to argue that McDaniels has definitely enjoyed the benefit of upper echelon (at the very least coached - and that coaching clearly made even sub-par talents overachieve) OL's the duration of his time coordinating for the Pats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jraider91 said:

Jones best case is Carr/Cousins level player imo. Just not enough arm talent or moxy like Burrow. 

It’s all about how well you make reads in this league. Cutler had one of the best arms in the league and it got him nowhere. Jones can make the throws. Being a QB is 90% mental. 

1 hour ago, Jraider91 said:

Jones best case is Carr/Cousins level player imo. Just not enough arm talent or moxy like Burrow. 

that's funny when you look at his results this year. He has been on Carr/Cousins level as a rookie and is only going to get better. Carr/Cousins is his floor. And let's not even talk about the terrible wide receivers and 1 capable TE he has.

QBR

14th Cousins

15th Carr

16th Jones

EPA+CPOE

11th Jones

14th Cousins

15th Carr

DVOA

Cousins 8th

Carr 11th

Jones 13th

PFF

Cousins 5th

Jones 10th

Carr 12th

55 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Big question for me is and still will rely on that Raiders OL.  Even with the retirement of Scarnecchia, the Pats still finished with, at minimum, a top-half-of-the-league OL (some of us would make a case for higher than that).  Now maybe there's a similar addition by subtraction as to what occurred in Seattle when Tom Cable is removed from the mix, but it's difficult to argue that McDaniels has definitely enjoyed the benefit of upper echelon (at the very least coached - and that coaching clearly made even sub-par talents overachieve) OL's the duration of his time coordinating for the Pats.

That's a good point. Josh never had to worry about his offensive line before. At least he has Scar on speed dial for advice.