Tom Brady Officially Retires (Thx to whomever provided Twitter link)

HDsportsfan

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Wonder if he'll ever get into coaching or front office stuff. I doubt it at least for a bit. Wants to spend time with the wife and kids. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't think he is - he's got his brand, he's got international status due to his wife, he's got various lines in the water with various commerce, crypto partnerships, sports supplements... TB12 the brand could be more lasting and diverse than Tom Brady the football player.

He's the one football player who really doesn't need football anymore. His legacy is intact, why risk it going 3-14 as the HC of the Lions or something?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I don't think he is - he's got his brand, he's got international status due to his wife, he's got various lines in the water with various commerce, crypto partnerships, sports supplements... TB12 the brand could be more lasting and diverse than Tom Brady the football player.

He's the one football player who really doesn't need football anymore. His legacy is intact, why risk it going 3-14 as the HC of the Lions or something?

Yeah, closest I can see realistically is becoming a minority owner or something like what Manning is trying to do. Other than that it's driving a dad mobile and being a family man.

Edited by BullsandBroncos
  • Like 1

First QB in NFL history to retire the year he leads the league in TDs or Yards and he was 44 to boot.

But I remain unconvinced. I can see him coming back next year after sitting out for one season. He's just too good. There's never really been anywhere close to this good a QB going out on top. Yeah Elway was still pretty good but he missed 3 games his last year and had a tremendous run game helping him along, plus he didn't have an ACL his entire career playing with a brace and word is he drove that cartilage as far as it could go. I don't think it's all too comparable.

Brady was missed two major targets in his last playoff game, can't help but think he's still out there if that isn't the case. Maybe he's looking at Covid issues being resolved by next year and he takes time with his family. Then gives it a go with an even more stacked team.

3 hours ago, biggie. said:

NFL should do what NHL did with Gretzky and put him in the HoF immediately.

Absolutely. This isn't like after the Falcons game where I think he locked down the GOAT talk for good. But he padded it even more and now retiring while being the first QB to do so leading the league in yards and TDs? I mean, Jerry Rice (who I saw live plenty) just wasn't on the same level. Him and Sanders were definitive legends but they didn't transcend the sport like Brady and yes it's because Brady was a QB. Joe Montana was from another era where even the NFL didn't have the mega money they do now, like other sports fans might have known about Montana but it wasn't the same as with Brady and people forget Joe Cool just wasn't active for as long as Brady nevermind the 2 years he spent recovering before his Chiefs gig where he had some magic but it wasn't Brady playing in his 40s magic.

And then there's the logistics perspective. There is virtually no way anybody touches his biggest records. Like Ovechkin chasing the Goals record, sure somebody might get up there with yards and TDs in the regular season but his playoff numbers are simply too monstrous. 

Really thought he was gonna go till he's 50. The man became the starter for the Patriots when I was in 7th grade. I'm 32. I remember being annoyed that Bledsoe wasn't playing anymore. Oh well.

This may be the only time we ever see a guy retire at 44 and think he hung em up too soon like Calvin or Barry

• Like 3

Back at the turn of the century, following yet another Vikings playoff loss, I was a disaffected teenager who really wanted to see the Tennessee Titans win the Super Bowl. When The Tackle stopped them one yard short the St. Louis Rams became my enemy. I was waiting for a hero--someone, anyone--to defeat them. Super Bowl XXXVI was the answer to my salty prayers. The Rams were never the same after that loss, and the hero was an unknown second-stringer named Tom Brady.

Little did I know that this was merely a warmup act for the greatest quarterbacking career of all time that would span over 20 years. We'd never met before, Tom and I, but we seemed to have an unspoken agreement: unless he was playing the Vikings--or later on, the Giants--I would support him. In return, he would battle and ultimately vanquish all the teams that bothered me; the Eagles with self-obsessed mercenary Terrell Owens, the Jets with loudmouth Rex Ryan, the Seahawks with Richard "don't you ever talk about me" Sherman, and the Packers with profoundly unlikeable Aaron Rodgers.

He never let me down. In a way, watching Tom Brady allowed me to stay young and angry. Now that he's leaving the game I feel old and tired, but thoroughly satisfied. It's been a privilege to watch him play.

Edited by y*so*blu

2 hours ago, pf9 said:

So yeah, 2023's Jaguars-Bucs game has lost some of its luster since it won't be a showdown between Brady and Lawrence. I was looking forward to that matchup, potentially on national TV.

This was my first thought as well upon his retirement..what in the hell are they going to do now about that Bucs/Jags game?