2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wouldn't expect it now, but after the second preseason game likely takes injury off the table (I don't imagine many starting QBs playing the final preseason game). 

I'm not sure when the appeal decision on Watson is expected, and then there is the potential for him to sue. I'm not sure Cleveland is a real option at much as I like to joke on it

Agreed. Watson is less likely, just to be added to all the possibilities of where a team might come calling.

12 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I mean, Teddy Bridgewater and Watson have both shown that you don’t need a game to blow out your knee.

I think most would rather not see a guy suffer a serious injury, but we might as well make the best of it if it does happen. 

We are talking less than 1%.  Would have thought they would prefer the goodwill. Not a big deal either way, but it's a bit of a crap move for Jimmy (especially when he can likely put the kabosh on any trade anyway by not messing with his contract) 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

We are talking less than 1%.  Would have thought they would prefer the goodwill. Not a big deal either way, but it's a bit of a crap move for Jimmy (especially when he can likely put the kabosh on any trade anyway by not messing with his contract) 

For sure, and if we were holding Jimmy hostage I would probably tend to agree with you. According to Lynch he hasn’t asked for his release though, so there is no real reason to move on from him.

To me it sounds like our F.O. & Jimmy are on the same page, so I’m not terribly concerned. 

Just now, GW21 said:

For sure, and if we were holding Jimmy hostage I would probably tend to agree with you. According to Lynch he hasn’t asked for his release though, so there is no real reason to move on from him.

To me it sounds like our F.O. & Jimmy are on the same page, so I’m not terribly concerned. 

Jimmy being silent is the most surprising thing going on here. I had assumed that we had an agreement in place with him about when to get it done. 

Also, I have to acknowledge that there is a small chance that this is a negotiation through media ploy. Maybe we have an offer from someone but it's pennies and we are trying to get more by threatening to hold him until the last second. I don't think that's the case, but it's possible 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Jimmy being silent is the most surprising thing going on here. I had assumed that we had an agreement in place with him about when to get it done. 

Also, I have to acknowledge that there is a small chance that this is a negotiation through media ploy. Maybe we have an offer from someone but it's pennies and we are trying to get more by threatening to hold him until the last second. I don't think that's the case, but it's possible 

Yeah, all we’ve got to go off of is what we’re hearing from our F.O. and all the reporters who have not been able to get anything right with the Niners since Kyle and John took over. 

Part of me wonders if Jimmy doesn’t really like his options if he’s released and wants to see what happens with Watson, which is why he’s been quiet to this point. 

Obviously if he’s released he can negotiate with anyone he wants, but maybe he loses a little bit of his leverage with what he’s getting paid? If he can get more money by SF picking up some of the tab, I’m sure he’d be all about it. 

21 hours ago, Broncofan said:

It’s only year 1 of the new regime….it’s pretty clear the old regime was incompetent.

This excuse doesn't hold water. Alot of the mistakes they made this off season had nothing to the old regime.

14 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

This excuse doesn't hold water. Alot of the mistakes they made this off season had nothing to the old regime.

The moves the current FO have made don’t seem great - but we don’t know how they will progress.   Like you said that alone gives them some leash to see if they will improve.   

It’s just mind boggling how bad Nagy was as a HC / O mind though.  Literally HC / small college level coaches would do better in the same boat.  

Edited by Broncofan

50 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The moves the current FO have made don’t seem great - but we don’t know how they will progress.   Like you said that alone gives them some leash to see if they will improve.   

It’s just mind boggling how bad Nagy was as a HC / O mind though.  Literally HC / small college level coaches would do better in the same boat.  

I hear you, some of the choices may look like mistakes now but we have to take the wait and see approach. Poles took the job with a QB who has the highest potential in Bears history (no hyperbole needed) and he hired a DC minded coach. This would be one of them IMO. I don't like the approach but I'm not always right either. We'll see (and hope) if he can be the next Sean McDermott.

But some of them choices were Poles to make alone and were not just playing cleanup from the last regime either.

As I said in Bears forum...(added more clarity for those who don't follow the Bears)

1. Ignores free agency (when we had the 10th most effective cap space BEFORE any moves)
  2. Receives backlash for not doing enough to help Fields (Not finding a #1 replacement for Arob and passing on a WR (like Pickens,etc) in the 2nd, twice for two DBs)
  3. Trades Mack for a bag of peanuts (and uses 24M of our cap space in dead money at that)
  4. Let's Daniels walk (for peanuts when we have a hole at RG that mean trotting out Mustipher)
  5. First big signing can't even pass a physical (Larry Ogunjobi who he tried to sign for 3/40 and ended up getting a 1/8 from Pitt)
  6. Pringle gets stupid after being signed (signed a 1/4 deal while the likes of Landry and Juju were still available and they get 1/3 deals)
  7. Adams gets arrested after being signed
  8. Another WR gets even Moore stupid than both
  9. Contract issues with the best player left on the team
  10. Behind the scenes beef with Jenkins
  11. Keeping everything on the hush to the point that insiders are already starting to see similarities with Pace/Nagy staff.

These are just what I can remember off top but I feel like I'm missing some too.

All of this in a matter of 5 months!

For a staff who keeps preaching about culture change there's been more distractions and PR hits this offseason than I can remember in any recent year.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

12 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Facts should change opinions and @JAF-N72EX did that for me with that summary. It’s early but it looks like Poles gets an F so far

He’s either bad at his job (so far) or he is purposely tanking which makes him a cheater who is violating NFL policy.

I just call it as I see it without sugarcoating. He absolutely gets an F so far.

He hasn't done much at all that I agree with. I think Eberflus is a good DC, but I'm not sure as a HC and I didn't like pairing him with Fields. As we've seen numerous times, being a good coordinator doesn't mean he'll be a good HC. I didn't care for the Getsy hire but I am slowly warming up to him. Plus he comes from the Shanny/McVay tree, so there's a little hope. Getting rid of Chris Tabor as ST coach in favor of Richard Hightower is a head scratcher for sure. 

Poles should've done everything he could to surrounded Fields with as much talent as possible on the offensive side of the ball so that we're not wasting another year of his rookie contract to find out whether he's the man or not. As I've also said all offseason, it seems like Poles either believes Fields is the second coming of Jesus or he doesn't believe in him at all.

The good news is that the Bears will have the most cap space in the league next year and a full draft to fix holes on the roster.

The bad news is that we currently only have 48 players under contract for next year and only 31(at max) are significant starters or depth (and I'm being generous by adding all 3 drafted OL). This includes; 2 QBs, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 9 OL, 1 TE, 3 DEs, 3 DTs, 1 LBs, 3 CBs, 3 Ss, 1K, 1P. This leaves ALOT of holes to fill with that money and capital.

Roquan still needs to be paid. If Mooney has another good year then he's gonna wanna get start talking about an extension. Montgomery is in a contract year. The lack of talent will likely scare away free agents so Poles is also going to have to overpay in order to draw any interest. Next year's free agent pool looks bare for WRs right now so he's gonna have draft early if he wants to fix that area. 

God, I hate being a fan of this organization sometimes....

/end rant 

Edited by JAF-N72EX

The excuses being built for Fields already are hilarious. As I said with Darnold, it doesn’t matter what’s around you if you’re a good player you’ll perform. 

Footwork, timing, accuracy, decision making, reading defenses, taking your check down, etc…have little to do with who’s around you. 

I don’t expect Fields to be very productive or win a lot of games but he can show he’s a good NFL quarterback this season.